I'm not one of those advanced players, only been playing for a year now, but I need song suggestions to go past the basic open chor type songs - I play a lot of Neil Young, so can you guys suggest me songs that go past a beginner level and also take me past the 4th fret if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance.
Are you reelin' in the years?
Maybe try some Jack Johnson - he's mostly barre chords and he also has rhythmic strumming patterns with palm-mutes, etc. That would be a step up in difficulty.
If your looking to advance a little more than beginner try Alice in Chains : Heaven Beside You. The reason is because it's not real technical but for someone starting out and wants to advance his/her skills it's perfect. Now there are two guitar parts and you want to learn Jerry Cantrel's part, yes it includes the solo but if you play through the solo slow and learn it you will find out that it really is a simple solo. This song will do a few things for you it will get you past the 5th fret, it will show you some barre chords and some lead guitar parts. I've only been playing for about 3 years now and I learned that song about a year and a half ago. You should be able to find the tab on UG. Another thing I hate to advertise for people but if you can get your hands on Guitar Pro 5.0 or higher it was a great help to me as far as timing and stuff. You can slow the song down enough to where your comfortable and speed it up in intervals. Good Luck.