I am the lead guitarist for my band. We will be playing a show at Revolution on March 1st, and we're all really excited about it. The only problem is that I won't be using my amp for the show (I have a 100 watt Marshall vavlestate). This means that I will have to rely on the tone from whatever amps they have already there - and honestly I prefer my amp's tone over most other types of distortion. Because of this, and the fact that I will be needing some other basic effects such as reverb and chorus, I would like to get an effects board so that I can have time to find a nice setting that will sound pretty similar on most amps. I've been looking to get a nice effects processor to add to my rig anyway, and I figure now is the perfect time.

Basically what I'm asking is for a recommendation for a quality effects board that is preferrably under $200 that would suit my style of playing. I play metal, and my main influences are Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, and a bunch of other bands like Atreyu and God Forbid.

The basic effects that are absolutely neccessary:
Metal Distortion (preferably one similar to a heavy Marshall-style crunch)
Reverb
Chorus
Delay (any variation of it - I'll be using it for interludes so the timing isn't really that important... though options would be nice)
Delay (a few miliseconds only - this is very important because I use this to help build my soloing tone in post production when we record... But it's not exactly practical to hook up my rig to a laptop before passing the signal to the house equipment!)

Effects that I would like but that are not necessary:
Phaser - I plan to keep this an a very low setting to add a some variation during chorus parts
Flanger - Honestly I don't give a crap about this and will probably never use it, but it could be interesting to play around with.
Distortion - Another type that is more suited for my soloing - perhaps a blues-stlye sound.
[The following should be controlled through an expression pedal - not knobs:]
Wah wah
Volume control (for smooth fades in an out similar to the intro to Whispers by All that Remains)

I'd also like it to have at least two different settings that can be saved and footswitched between. Preferably three or more, but anything over 5 is just excessive.

If it helps, I will be using an ESP F-400fm for the show, and I have absolutely no idea what amps I will be playing through at Revolution. I will found that out this Sunday, but either way I would like to get the pedal soon so that I can experiment with it. The show is only 1 month away.

One last thing - Our singer will not be able to play the show, so we're dividing the vocals between the rhythmist and I. I can sing fairly well, and our rhythmist can screma fairly well. However, I would like to consider buying a vocal processor to make sure we sound even better. This would mostly be for me, since I will handle all the melodic stuff. If I do use one, I will most likely rent it instead of buying it. If anyone out there knows of a good vocal processor ofr a metal singer, I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks in advance.
My Rig:

ESP F-400fm
Squier Strat
A crazy whack acoustic
Squier Affinity P-Bass
Dean Edge Q6 6-String Bass

Marshall Valvestate 100
10 watt Guitar Research amp
Rumble 15 Bass amp

Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal
i doubt that you'll get a good one for under $200. I dont know how much they cost but ive heard very good things about the digitech GNX series and the Boss GT-8. Dont expect the distortions or wah to be very good though - multieffect distortion or wah never is
the problem is that you can't predict what the settings will sound like from amp to amp. theres a chance that plugging the board into your home amp willl sound much different then the amp you will be using. It seems to me that they should let you bring your amp. I've never heard of a case where it's not allowed to bring your own gear.
go for the boss me-50, or if you have some more the boss gt8.
they both have everything you just mentioned.
Well it's not that they won't let us bring our equipment, it's that I have a the VS 100R which is the combo. If it was just the head I could bring it no problem, but hooking up a combo to the two cabs there and then routing the signal back out to the house sound system would be a pain, to say the least.

Alright so it seems to be a choice between the digitech gnx series and the boss gt/me series. Can someone recommend one over the other? It's basically down to just a preference of brand I think, because both seem more than adequate.

The only issue I might have with one of the pedals is that I may want to have chorus and phaser on at the same time. I don't remember which pedal it is that doesn't allow this, but I remember reading that one of them it is. It's not really too big of a deal - like I said, I won't really use phaser that much. And if worst comes to worst I can always buy either a chorus or phaser pedal.

Any recommedations for the vocal processor?
My Rig:

ESP F-400fm
Squier Strat
A crazy whack acoustic
Squier Affinity P-Bass
Dean Edge Q6 6-String Bass

Marshall Valvestate 100
10 watt Guitar Research amp
Rumble 15 Bass amp

Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal
Just take your amp...they will mic it i am almost 100% sure. Don't spend money you don't have to. If you like your gear, use it. They almost definitely can accomodate, especially if you let them know that. unless they said don't bring stuff, i can almost guarantee the loaner amp will probably suck.

It almost sounds like you wanna buy all this stuff to keep you from having to set up your own amp, which is kinda lazy. Maybe this isnt true. But I am a firm proponent of using your own gear all the time, in order to keep your sound. I have used the loaners because they told us to use the house amps, and i had more sound troubles than i've ever had before. Spend the extra effort using your own gear
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by burns_with_rage
The only issue I might have with one of the pedals is that I may want to have chorus and phaser on at the same time. I don't remember which pedal it is that doesn't allow this, but I remember reading that one of them it is.

The Boss GT can use both phaser and chorus at the same time, in fact I believe you can even use both chorus and two separate phasers at the same time if you wanted to Chorus have a separate button, while you can find phaser under the FX buttons.