Poll: do u listen to the radio??
Poll Options
View poll results: do u listen to the radio??
Yup, all the time!
13 12%
eh no .. eww
51 47%
sometimes, when i've got nothing to do...
38 35%
mmmm happy happy joy joy
6 6%
Voters: 108.
Page 1 of 2
what do you think of the music playing on the radio right now???

do you even listen to the radio?

your opinions please.

I've not listen to radio in ages, why? well I think the music is not that great, and most rap on the radio is very demeaning to women .

EDIT: Im referring to mainstream radio stations only! because that is all we have here in Singapore...
Last edited by petrina_678 at Jan 29, 2008,
I don't listen to the radio, i listen to what is awesome, what my bros send me, and some of the stuff my school likes...but not the pop rock junk
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
I don't listen to the radio and I haven't really listened to mainstream music for about 4-5 years.
Not all radio is bad. There are loads of good stations, it's a good way to discover new music.

But I don't really listen that much radio.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
dont listen to radio, an only watch kerrang and scuzz when there is some "100 greatest rock songs" "100 best guitar solos" etc. Just use my mp3 and add new stuff to it all the time. Used to listen to radio 1 (uk) cause it was funny, but the music aint great
argument: radio sux.
exhibit a) poor song selection
exhibit b) terrible quality
exhibit c) there are so many other better possibilities
I listen to the radio for about .1% of my total music listening experience...Usually just stick to the ipod
mainstream radio is rarely worth listening to, unless you enjoy hearing the same songs played every hour. i've even heard two different stations start playing the same song at the exact same time. they feed everything in from satellite, the dj's are not actually dj's on most mainsteam american radio.

if you're lucky, you live in a college town with college radio. no advertising, just stoned college students playing music and mumbling about what they've played with lots of uhhhh's and uhmmm's
Radio stations are aimed towards what is popular with some exceptions like classics, classical, whatever.
If i ever listen to the radio, its always tuned to a local station. I may not like all the music they play, but at least i get exposed to a broad range of material on the station i listen to. I would say if you can't find anything good on the radio try something that you wouldn't normally listen to, like international or unknown artists.
Quote by comphyconcrete
if you're lucky, you live in a college town with college radio. no advertising, just stoned college students playing music and mumbling about what they've played with lots of uhhhh's and uhmmm's

Oh, so it's not ust the college radio here that does that. Good!!
Quote by comphyconcrete

College radio sounds awesome! I don't listen to the radio much though, maybe once a fortnight. Although I do like mainstream music. Well some of it anyway, not hip hop.
i never losten to the radio cause i like actual music. not hip hop and all that stuff
sometimes i listen to it when my girlfriend is in the car cause she likes the radio. and i feel like being nice.
'Course not

pop rock and rap suck the big one.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
all the radio round here (excluding bbc radio etc. ) is dance or rave whatever and theres always some excentric host who feels the need to shout everything he says, plus i find that by not listening to the radio i have more control to what i listen to unlike alot of people who just listen to whatevers cool
Sig space available, give me some praise
I listen to the radio when I drive but I only listen to WDVE which is classic rock, or WXDX which is mainstream rock. The mainstream station plays about 12 songs and just rearranges them each hour. I'm getting quite bored with it as they don't really play anything good except for the random Pantera song that pops up once in a while. Then again that's all based on what the people want to hear but the people want to hear what's been pumped into their heads so it's a vicious circle.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Yup.

I listen to the radio on my way to school, at school if it's a free period and sometimes at night.

I like my catchy songs and happen to like alot of what is played.
Music is music, doesnt matter if its pop/mainstream.

A good song is a good song to me, although i do prefer artists with real talent to the "overproduced to the point where it isnt real music" crap...

Im in the UK and mainly listen to Radio 1, Radio 2, XFM south wales and sometimes Red Dragon (Only available in South Wales).

The radio is important as far as im concerned, its always good to broaden your musical mind and tastes rather than listen to the same old...
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
I live in Chicago, so the radio here is very good. I usually listen to the Rock stations(The Loop, and the Drive.. Not Q101 so much, but you wouldn't know what I was talking about unless you were familiar with the stations here I suppose), the Jazz Station(which is a college station), the Classical station, and the mexican music station.

The pop/dance stations are all pretty terrible, as they play the same top 5 songs for weeks on end. There is very little that I like from those stations, and even the stuff I might find catchy, I admit is usually very talentless.

Speaking of talentless, rap really has gone down hill since the 90s.. It's like, they just grab any black man off of the street who can talk in a rhythm, get somebody to do the backing for them(probably the lyrics too), and just mass produce these terrible rap songs.

It's like, the rhythm of the rappers has died. They all rap in the same rhythm now. I make fun of this whenever I'm in the car with a friend, because I'll usually hum out the rhythm to a rap I've never heard. They all use the same beat, and that stupid Young Jeezy voice effect is too damn popular.

Rap ran out of good things to sample. They stopped sampling funk, and their 3 note keyboard backings are never very original.. I mean, you can only do so much with 3 notes, right? That's another reason why it all probably sounds like **** to me.

Rap is basically singing without melody, but at least some older rappers made up for that by rapping like they were a drum set or something.... Rappers nowadays don't have any rhytmn. Hell, it isn't even a requirement to rhyme now. I hear rap all the time now that is lyrically retarded, on top of not rhyming, which I thought was a very important part of rap.

I'm hoping for the death of rap.... Seems like music requires less and less talent as time goes on. We all getting lazy.
Last edited by Schredmark at Jan 29, 2008,
Radio 2 only.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

No, the music played on pretty much every radio station drives me mad. Also there aren't many situations where I'm in a car and I always have my Mp3 player wherever I go.
Yes, i listen to the radio sometimes.
But i also get sick of it really soon as they keep playing the same stuff over n over again.

I do listen to and like some mainstream music. Like right now i'm listening to Maroon 5. Descent band!
And i like Enrique Iglesias, a little bit of Justin and stuff...
Quote by ValoRhoads
I listen to the radio when I drive but I only listen to WDVE which is classic rock, or WXDX which is mainstream rock. The mainstream station plays about 12 songs and just rearranges them each hour. I'm getting quite bored with it as they don't really play anything good except for the random Pantera song that pops up once in a while. Then again that's all based on what the people want to hear but the people want to hear what's been pumped into their heads so it's a vicious circle.

Wow when did WDVE become a classic rock station? It used to be 94.7 was Pittsburgh's classic rock station.

I have had Sirius Sat. Radio for about 4 years now so no I don't listen to broadcast radio anymore.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Pop rock's not the the only thing. We've got smooth jazz, country rock, hip hop, classic rock, ect. I usually just scan the radio until I hear something cool though.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
really every radio station plays the same songs from the same genre, which is mostly indie and pop. Hardly diverse. I dont know how many times i've heard the bloody arctic monkeys on the radio. I bet if they played some metal it would blow their listeners brains apart.
Secondly, i hate the fact download was on at a stupidly late 2 in the morning, while we had to have the laughably bad Diana concert on all day. Dosent seem right
mmmm happy happy joy joy
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.
nah im not trying to act cool or anyhting
but no
most of it really sucks.
only radio i really listen to is classic fm but only when they're playin a song i like
so mainly pop, hip hop, rap, and poppy rock i don't really think much of
I don't really fit into that catgorey, i listen to it when im in my car SOMETIMES, hardly never though so i said no.
I listen to BBC radio 1.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Whenever Im in the car, I always have BBC Radio 1 on. To be honest, I dont see what's so bad about "mainstream" music. Actually, in all honesty, I generally consider people who classify certain types of music as "mainstream" as self-righteous, close-minded pricks up their own arses.

Quote by Schredmark
I live in Chicago, so the radio here is very good. I usually listen to the Rock stations(The Loop, and the Drive.. Not Q101 so much, but you wouldn't know what I was talking about unless you were familiar with the stations here I suppose), the Jazz Station(which is a college station), the Classical station, and the mexican music station.

The pop/dance stations are all pretty terrible, as they play the same top 5 songs for weeks on end. There is very little that I like from those stations, and even the stuff I might find catchy, I admit is usually very talentless.

Speaking of talentless, rap really has gone down hill since the 90s.. It's like, they just grab any black man off of the street who can talk in a rhythm, get somebody to do the backing for them(probably the lyrics too), and just mass produce these terrible rap songs.

It's like, the rhythm of the rappers has died. They all rap in the same rhythm now. I make fun of this whenever I'm in the car with a friend, because I'll usually hum out the rhythm to a rap I've never heard. They all use the same beat, and that stupid Young Jeezy voice effect is too damn popular.

Rap ran out of good things to sample. They stopped sampling funk, and their 3 note keyboard backings are never very original.. I mean, you can only do so much with 3 notes, right? That's another reason why it all probably sounds like **** to me.

Rap is basically singing without melody, but at least some older rappers made up for that by rapping like they were a drum set or something.... Rappers nowadays don't have any rhytmn. Hell, it isn't even a requirement to rhyme now. I hear rap all the time now that is lyrically retarded, on top of not rhyming, which I thought was a very important part of rap.

I'm hoping for the death of rap.... Seems like music requires less and less talent as time goes on. We all getting lazy.

Clearly you haven't been looking too hard. Theres plenty of decent rappers out now.
Last edited by umop-3p!sdn at Jan 29, 2008,
I listen to radio every day. There's a jazz college station, variety college station, Pacifica radio station, classical college station, and rock college station in my area. That's 5 good channels that play whatever they want and actually have a DJ.

As for the commercial stations, I only listen to them at night when there is a special show like maybe Little Stevens, but I mainly stick to listening to night shows on college stations. Everything from death metal, hip-hop, bluegrass, world music, blues, punk, post-punk, electronica, etc.. All good shows
I listen to Classical FM once in a while, haven't listened to mainstream radio in a long time.

Not because I don't like the music on it, just that I don't get much access to it.
Page 1 of 2