I did a search, but it didn't find anything useful.

I have a digitech bad monkey OD and a radioshack 15 band EQ. Where should I place the EQ?

EQ > OD > AMP
OD > EQ > AMP
OD > AMP > EQ in loop

Where is the conventional placement?
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
I did a search, but it didn't find anything useful.

I have a digitech bad monkey OD and a radioshack 15 band EQ. Where should I place the EQ?

EQ > OD > AMP
OD > EQ > AMP
OD > AMP > EQ in loop

Where is the conventional placement?

There
I feel stupid for just realising this, but my EQ is dual channel. This means its actually 2 EQs in one.....so where should I put it then?

EQ > OD > EQ > AMP
EQ > OD > AMP > EQ in loop
OD > EQ > AMP > EQ in loop?
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
I feel stupid for just realising this, but my EQ is dual channel. This means its actually 2 EQs in one.....so where should I put it then?

EQ > OD > EQ > AMP
EQ > OD > AMP > EQ in loop
OD > EQ > AMP > EQ in loop?

I'd go for EQ > OD > AMP > EQ in loop if it can handle it.
Lol, how much was that EQ?

Yeah as people have said, I'd put one channel in the FX loops, and either before or after OD to taste. Try out both and see which you like. I'd put it after because I think it makes a bigger difference, but that's me.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by Mark G
if it can handle it? Something going to explode?

If memory serves correctly, if there is too much amplification between one EQ and the next, it may create a banshee's wail of feedback.
The EQ was 50 bucks. A steal if you ask me.

I tried it in the effects loop and right after my OD, the effect was interesting. Placing it right after the OD basically made it a 15 band OD, and in the effects loop made it function like an actual 15 band EQ.

I decided to just run it after my OD, and not in the effects loop. I'm not sure why, but even running it in the effect loop only created a ton of feedback and a ground loop hum. I don't know how this works, but I don't want a ground loop issue.

Putting it right behind my OD did not create a ground loop, and the EQs internal noise gate even got rid of some feedback. This way I have a noise gate, EQ, and OD all in one.

Maybe with a better more expensive dual channel EQ it would be cool to run it in two places at once, but this guy just can't do it. The tone loss is very minimal running it right after the OD, especially considering all the benefits gained. Running it in two places at once made it sound too digital for my liking. The difference was very small, but it was there. Maybe it was tone loss, maybe I was just boosting too many frequencies so the gain muffled things up. I'm not sure. My ears are ringing, and I'll experiment more later.

OD > EQ > AMP > EQ in loop
= Sounded too digital for me, although the flexibility was amazing. The double noise gate also got rid of so much hum.

OD > AMP > EQ in loop
= Sounded incredible, but also created a ground loop issue. (touching the knobs would stop the hum)

OD > EQ > AMO
= I decided on this one. It didn't sound as incredible as in the loop, but I just don't want a ground loop problem. Here it provided a nice gain boost, and more flexibility without considerable tone loss. I spent a long time going back and forth unsure if there was a tone loss. Yes there is, but its so small it took me an hour to notice.

I'm considering to buy a better dual band OD so I can actually run it after the OD and in the loop without a ground loop problem or tone loss. That would be awesome.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Jan 29, 2008,