I have a vintage white Telecaster, Lite ash that I really like. It is a really nice guitar but it's a bit noisy. I am going to shield it (according to this tutorial) and while I have the guitar opened and the solder iron taken out of the box, I might just as well replace the electronics as well since I need some more soldering experience.

I've heard some people saying that getting new pots make a big big difference. Some say that it makes no difference at all. But in any case, it'll be a fun experience. What brand should I get? What values? I know it depends on what sound I'm looking for, so tell me what options I have.

I would also like having a 4/5-way switch. Where do I buy? Where can I find schematics?

Are there any other mods that you would recommend for a tele?
get some nice sprague orange drop caps.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/spordrtoca0f1.html

not necessarily from guitar fetish they are expensive theyre. Prob get them a lot cheaper from mouser or something. But guitarfetish and stewmac are both good sites to see what you can get and what they look like.

New pots just affects the different amount of resistance to bleeding treble off through the cap, 500k bleeds off less treble... where as 250 bleeds of more treble, making it more darker sounding the more you turn it. But brand for these dont really matter. I ordered some cheap ones from china off ebay for my black ice mod and it worked perfect haha.

but orange drop capacitors. GET EM! :P
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
70$ for two pots, a cap, wire, input jack and a switch?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I'm not sure about the korean lite ash teles but MIM and USA teles already have CTS pots.. Take a photo of the wiring and post it if you don't know what yours are.

But yeah basically get 250k CTS solid shaft pots, Orange drop cap, using vintage cloth 'pushback' wire is the easiest and looks really neat when it's finished, and 4-way switch can be bought from loads of places, eBay probably the cheapest. Great mod to do, my favourite Tele mod.

Um schematic of the 4-way switch wiring is here..

http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_4wayinfo.html

Read the writing it explains about grounding the neck pickup cover.
Thanks. Here you go: picture.

Tell me if you need more zoomed in versions or whatever.

4-way looks nice. What does 5-way switching-mods do? Is the fifth-position bridge+neck in parallel, out of phase? Is that useful?
it's usually series out of phase I think. Apparently it has its uses - but I'm happy with a 4way.

Most people I have spoken with that have tried RS kits say tell me that they're absolutely worth the money and that they're ordering them for the rest of their guitars. I've never tried it myself. You get top quality components, which DO make a difference. Obviously you'd want to be using it with good (likely handwound - it's cheaper than you think!) pickups and a nice amp to tell a difference.
To mod, you could cut your pickguard and add a humbucker. It'd help when you weren't looking for the thin, stereotypically tele sound. Then again, a tele ought to sound like a tele.

Or you could take out the neck pup, buy an esquire pickguard and stick a piezo pup in the rout.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Those pots look pretty good to me, I wouldn't bother changing them if they work smoothly.

Just change the switch and cap and maybe re-wire the whole thing with cloth wire?

I wouldn't use the out of phase pos. personally but I'm sure it could have it's uses if you wanted to do it. Just depends how much effort you wanna put into wiring it up really, there's tonnes of interesting wiring options you can do if you wanna get all fancy but I personally like simpler things.
Alright, thank you. I think the pots work smoothly. Only thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a significant loss of volume very quickly when turning from 10 to 9 (imaginary values), and then when I go further down the volume change seems to be more smooth. I don't know if this is because of a bad pot or if it is just something normal. It is quite annoying since the "ultimate" volume is somewhere there in between, it takes some time getting the volume perfect. If I can fix this by replacing the pots, I would love to.

I'm currently looking at ebay for the tone caps. Will buy a switch also. What kinds of sounds can I expect from out of phase pickups? I might just as well get 4-way if the fifth position isn't useful.

And also, what is cloth wire? I've never heard of it before and google doesn't really come up with anything.
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
70$ for two pots, a cap, wire, input jack and a switch?

yeah but that has a paper and oil capacitor. Those things are considered to be some of the best for sound out of anything and cost quite a lot.
There are different tapers on pots. Audios will have a different volume curve than a linear. Some like to use the common way of same pot for tone and volume. Some like audio for vol and linear for tone, the way I do mine. Not sure about the cap they use in that kit never seen that kind used before in a guitar. Must be expensive to make the kit that much. I know the orange drops are 2 for 3 bucks.
The caps in RS kits are apparently made specifically for them to give the ultimate tone.. Seems like marketing propaganda to me.

TS: Vintage cloth wire = http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Style-Cloth-Wire-Kit-Telecaster-Stratocaster_W0QQitemZ150210835452QQihZ005QQcategoryZ42455QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and the out of phase sound will be a kind of nasal sound. Look for videos of Gary Moore on youtube on the song 'Still got the blues'.. That's pretty much the ultimate out-of-phase tone. Will sound a bit different with single coils but the same basic deal.