I did a search for skipping and sweeping but couldn't find an answer that specifically addressed my question so...

When is it "better" to use skipping, and when is it "better" to use sweeping?

I can't really tell when it would be better to use one over the other. To me, string skipping sounds more aggressive and in sync rhythmically - and it feels really natural up until the 5 or 6 string skips, but I can fix that with practice. But the other day I bought Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn and was finally inspired to learn sweeping, but it seems that the only difference is that sweeping sounds more "liquid" and smooth.

Is learning sweeping worth it - after all it does take away practice time from alternate picking and string skipping - or will it just slow down my other progess and keep me from practicing 1 note per string alternate picking (which still needs a lot of work)? I do like how it sounds but I've seen many threads about how it is just a fad...

Thanks
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
well, i dont see any link between those 2 techniques...sooo use them when its sunds better than the other
learning to sweep dosnt take that much time
i would suggest to at least be decent at it
different musical situations might call for sweeping instead of string skipping
i guess it depends what you play.....i can tell you that alternate picking definately comes before sweep picking though
Well, incorporating both String Skipping and Sweeping sounds pretty rad. Try it out sometime.
i really don't see how sweep picking is a "fad"....

i'd say learn both, i finished learning sweeping about a week ago, took 3 god damn months to learn but it was worth it, now im gonna do string skipping and it looks a lot more challenging than sweeping i'll tell you that much (i said looks, not "is")
Quote by Dr. Faustus
I did a search for skipping and sweeping but couldn't find an answer that specifically addressed my question so...

When is it "better" to use skipping, and when is it "better" to use sweeping?

I can't really tell when it would be better to use one over the other. To me, string skipping sounds more aggressive and in sync rhythmically - and it feels really natural up until the 5 or 6 string skips, but I can fix that with practice. But the other day I bought Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn and was finally inspired to learn sweeping, but it seems that the only difference is that sweeping sounds more "liquid" and smooth.

Is learning sweeping worth it - after all it does take away practice time from alternate picking and string skipping - or will it just slow down my other progess and keep me from practicing 1 note per string alternate picking (which still needs a lot of work)? I do like how it sounds but I've seen many threads about how it is just a fad...

Thanks
you've answered your own question an. if you think one is more aggressive and one is smoother, then obviously you should use the technique that suits the sound and feel you're looking for.
and yes, of course its worth learning to sweep; you're a guitar player, why would you NOT want to learn a new technique to apply to your playing
Thanks for the prompt responses.

Guess it is time for me to get back to practice
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.