Okay, so for my guitar I'm building I need to know a few thigns about pots:
I was reading that active pickups require 250k pots. Now I erroneuously thought I had 500k pts with my blackouts, but turns out they are 250k. Unfortunately, warmoth only offers their concentric pots in 500k units. They do however provide push-push pots in 250k and 500k variants.

1)What difference will itmake if I use 500k pots instead of 250k pots with active pickups? I hear volume will be louder, but I can turn down the pots of course. I also hear the batteries might die faster. So whats the deal on 500k pots vs 250k pots for actives?

2)Can I use a push-push pots instead to change individual volumes on pickups. for example, in one position change the bridge volume and in the other, change the neck?

3)If I put a resistor on the 500k pots, can I turn it into a 250k pot?

Thanks guys
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, active EMGs use 25K. I don't really know what's the deal with the Duncan ones.

You could theoretically turn the 500K to a 250K by putting on a resistor is parallel...
Here:
http://projectguitar.com/tut/potm.htm

thanks for the link
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
The low impedance of actives makes the high resistance pots not work. On EMGs a 250 or 500k pot acts as a switch. Theres lots of places that offer the 25k pots with push/pull switches. Warmoth has a pretty limited selection. Dont know what to tell you about the dual volume part on one pot. Maybe a resister on the switch that would kick in changing the value of the pot.
www.has-sound.com has some 250k/250k concentrics. They ahve a lot of other random stuff too.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by Tackleberry
The low impedance of actives makes the high resistance pots not work. On EMGs a 250 or 500k pot acts as a switch. Theres lots of places that offer the 25k pots with push/pull switches. Warmoth has a pretty limited selection. Dont know what to tell you about the dual volume part on one pot. Maybe a resister on the switch that would kick in changing the value of the pot.

Thanks.
Anyway I guess if I can't get the 250k conecntric pots, I'll settle for seperate ones.
The trouble is that I don't get pots here and shipping is costly for even small stuff so the fewer places I order from the better.

Anyway thank.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
stewmac sells the right 25K pots you need for an active circuit, but they aren't concentric.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
stewmac sells the right 25K pots you need for an active circuit, but they aren't concentric.

Thanks. THe blackouts do come with 25k pots so the pots wrent a problem, I was just checking if I could use concentric pots to keep the layout cleaner, but I budgeted space for seperate pots so thats fine.

thanks though

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350