Hi everyone, excuse my bad english, i mostly speaks french

So, i play since 1 and half year electric (Metal, hard rock, prog, neo-classic), i can play some basic sweep picking, legato...
I can pick fast with tremolo or alternate pick on high strings to play some Children Of Bodom, Kalmah or even Necrophagist stuff, but i can't play these riffs:

E: -00-0-00-0-00-0- (Raining Blood Riff by Slayer) (16th-16th-8th note bursts)
I play this so: down up down - down up down - down up down

Or This:
E: -00666000888000444000333- (normal tremolo)
I play this down up down up down ...

but when it comes to Master of Puppets like riffs, i don't have any problems, it is not REALLY fast, and i play some of the riffs downstrokes only xD.

it buzz all the time on the low strings when playing tremolo, my ibanez Xiphos has a low action setting (1,5mm on all strings, except low E and A, about 2mm at 12th fret), i can play one downstroke or upstroke without buzzing, a down-up-down riff at like 120pbm, 16th, no probleme, above these speed, erk ... buzz+wrist pain+unsteady sloppy riff

It is very hard to play, mostly gaining normal thrash speed (>140bm, 16th note), and even more, keeping a steady rythm, and even more to play so called galop riffs (8th note-16th-16th) like this: E:0-00-0-00-0-00
I play with heavy Ibanez picks (1mm) or Dunlop Jazz III, and i play mainly from the wrist.

And I don't want to use only downstrockes to play so fast Testament-Slayer-Sepultura-like-riffs, I become exhausted to fast .

And I look VERY dumb when I play Necrophagist solos when i can't even play a very simple speed metal riff

So please does somebody have a clue how to play on the low E as good as the high strings, and play these simple riffs at normal speed without pain and buzzing?

EDIT: with light/normal/heavy Palm muting it is even more difficult
Do you anchor? As in, do you rest your hand on the guitar even when you're not palm muting? If so, then that's the first thing to fix; basically just start over by playing basic exercises very slowly (with a metronome of course), and then move on to more complex ones. If you make mistakes or start to feel tension, you're going too fast. Once you're back up to full speed unanchored (this shouldn't take long, a month is typical if you practice every day), then you can start to work on speed.

To work on speed, basically use the same strategy; play only at a speed where you can play it perfectly with a minimal amount of tension. Once you have completely mastered it (this is not an exaggeration) at that speed, you can bump it up.

Also, if you feel any pain at all when playing, you should stop immediately, as you're doing something wrong and could injure yourself. Here's a few threads on technique, anchoring, and correct practice:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353140
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339913&highlight=Anchor
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210172
- Edit - - confusion removed -
Try and lighten your attack be it by using a thinner guage plectrum or just simply lightening your pick strokes. The string action may also be a problem, or the pick-ups may be sitting too high.

These are only suggestions, i'm afraid i can't say for definate that any of these are your problem.
Last edited by ray555 at Jan 30, 2008,
-Again self removed-
Last edited by ray555 at Jan 30, 2008,
None of this talk of anchoring matters anyway, what the problem here is is a lack of stamina; endurance while picking.

The key to galloped picking and down picking is stamina and the only way to increase stamina is by brute force, i.e. just doing it over and over for as long a you can until you can play what you want.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hi there, thx all for your response ^^
So, i anchor my palm, on the floyd rose (or bridge), or on the strings for palm mute, but i play some string skiping unanchored...
it's maybe a lack of stamina as Zaphod_Beeblebr said.
I'm not very used to play unanchord, except for finger picking of course.
So i think i'm gonna try to play more with the metronome and start more unanchored, but it feels weired for those riffs, but a lot of player does as i see ^^
About the anchoring, it takes some time to get used to it. But I can say it did help my playing become more accurate and fluid.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by ray555
My arguement is with the term, not its meanings. I have a vendetta against these terms that spruce up over forums (for that is where the term came from). n00b is another one. The right hand should never rest on the guitar body, bridge or strings, I am no simpleton and resent the remarks you made stating otherwise. My complaint is with it's wording and was to be taken a little more lightly. And to make my point it would not have the effect that Morbidangel66 is having, which was the point if the thread, not to bash my technical prowess with your supreme knowledge.

I'm terribly sorry about that, I believe that I misinterpreted this statement:
Quote by ray555
On my mission to destroy "anchoring" as firstly - a viable term; and secondly - a right or wrong "technique" that exists only on internet forums

To me it sounded like you were saying that resting the hand on the guitar was simply a preference, and wasn't either wrong or right. I'll edit my post now.

And actually, I don't mind the term anchoring, if you think about the definition of an anchor (taken from dictionary.com):

an·chor –noun
1. any of various devices dropped by a chain, cable, or rope to the bottom of a body of water for preventing or restricting the motion of a vessel or other floating object, typically having broad, hooklike arms that bury themselves in the bottom to provide a firm hold.
2. any similar device for holding fast or checking motion: an anchor of stones.
3. any device for securing a suspension or cantilever bridge at either end.
4. any of various devices, as a metal tie, for binding one part of a structure to another.
5. a person or thing that can be relied on for support, stability, or security; mainstay: Hope was his only anchor.

When you rest your hand on the guitar, you are restricting motion and providing stability (see definitions two and five); thus, anchoring. A floating hand is just the opposite, your hand motion is freed up and the only stability you have is from your own muscle control.
So anchoring, even if it was first used in this context on the internet, is a correct term for resting on the guitar.
alrighty, all friends now i just don't like it because it is an outside term. If I were to go into my university and talk about anchoring in front of veteran musicians and musicologists that take the lectures, there would be a room of very confused faces.

I think we'll end it with, I'm picky and everyone is for given