Who here owns one?

Personally, I've never played a Paul Reed Smith...but one of my favorite guitarists, Santana, uses one...and I've always loved Mark Tremonti's tone as well.

What do PRS guitars sound like anyway? I'm completely ignorant to their tone.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
A lot like Gibsons. They're mostly mahogany/maple, so there ya go.

And yes, I love PRS guitars. If only they weren't so damn expensive, I'd buy two.
prs se is the cheaper brand of prs
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
i've got the prs se billy martion signature and it plays very well for something i picked up for just £270.
Quote by centorium

i love green day,sure they're mostly power cords but for begginer,good they are
Quote by PlayMadness
Spent too much time in the talk like Yoda thread, you have.

I owned one many moons ago and miss it to this day.

Amazing guitars IMHO
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I have a PRS 20th Anniversary McCarty with an all Rosewood fretboard, bird inlay, flame quilted top.

It is my child.
PRS uses 2 humbuckers but works on having a lot of options for switching, so you can get single coil tones from them either through the rotary knob settings or a push/pull tone pot.
Hi, I'm Peter
Sifo, can I have it please .

I got my CE22 (that's the first US made one) for £450 second hand and it was near mint condish.

I'll look for a pic and post one

EDIT:

Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Last edited by guitaristclass at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by guitaristclass
Sifo, can I have it please .

I got my CE22 (that's the first US made one) for £450 second hand and it was near mint condish.

I'll look for a pic and post one

EDIT:

You have the cutest baby
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
i have a PRS SE singlecut... shure its not the high end... but the feel of the neck is one of the best ive played... ill swap the pickups later and ill be set...

plus!.. even though its a "low budget" PRS... the maple top is as beautifull as in High en gibsons
Quote by Thebiz
Who here owns one?

Personally, I've never played a Paul Reed Smith...but one of my favorite guitarists, Santana, uses one...and I've always loved Mark Tremonti's tone as well.

What do PRS guitars sound like anyway? I'm completely ignorant to their tone.

they're usually described as a bridge gap between the strat and the LP, i honestly think they're a wee bit more unique than that
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by Thebiz
You have the cutest baby

Why thanks
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
I have to say, I've played many, and while the build quality and overall fit is always excellent they've never really turned me on

Plus I dislike excessively figured wood (which they're fond of) and really glossy finishes (ditto)
Everyone alwys says they are between Gibsons and Fenders but i have an se double cut and id say they are far more Gibsonesque than Fenderesque. Also, the pickups are really balanced making it the first guitar out of seven that using both pickups at once actually sounds good.
I think they were meant to be an inbetween for Fender and Gibson tones. I know I read that somewhere but I want that new Paul Allender SE got its almost as beautiful as my girlfriend without the bitching lol
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
The character is quite dependent on the pickups you use. My CE24 had the HFS pickup set in it stock, and I have a set of Dragon I pups that sound completely different in it. Lovely tone either way, but I agree that it's more Gibsonish. It really comes alive like my semi-hollow Strat does with heavier gauge strings than the .09s it comes with. I had to switch springs to a generic Fender replacement set to get more tension for the heavier strings. The stock ones were either weaker or slightly stretched, but the difference was significant. The claw is backed off 1/2" from the stock setting,with heavier strings and one less spring than stock.

Nice guitar all around though. I can see a 513 in my near future.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Yeah... I don't own one, but I've always liked their looks and ideas.
I've platyed a couple PRS guitars... but I'm not overly impressed with their quality...

... although it could've just been the store.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
i own a McCarty (picture of it in my profile), I didn't like paying that much for it but I love the guitar so it was worth it to me, you can usually get pretty good deals on used ones. I always wanted a les paul but the prs just felt better to me, and I liked its tone alot better.
Quote by Fryer Mike
Yeah... I don't own one, but I've always liked their looks and ideas.
I've platyed a couple PRS guitars... but I'm not overly impressed with their quality...

... although it could've just been the store.

Odd that you mention quality. I found a 513 locally that I almost bought. The price was right, it was new, but there was bleed of the dye into the masked off simulated binding around the edge. My CE24 admittedly is 11 years old, but the dye edge is crisp. Another shop that also carries the 513 told me that the price the first shop was asking was lower than they had ever seen for a new 513 with that configuration. Apparently, some factory seconds appear to be floating around. The 513s in the second shop were all perfect, as were the other models they had, including a Modern Eagle.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Mhmm... I honestly wouldn't say that the quality and playability is worth the amoutn you pay for the guitar. Again though, it could've been just the ones that I've played. I didn't like them as much as I should've.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
could someone give me an opinion of low end PRS guitars?

i was thinking about getting this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=519370
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Quote by imnotastoner

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=519370

Overpriced and not worth buying, in my opinion. All of the SEs (other than the Singlecuts) that I've played have felt lifeless.

You might wanna check out a Michael Kelly Valor.

Cheaper and has better specs. Far more resonant.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
There's pros and cons. I have a 2004 black Singlecut /trem and just got rid of a green Santana SE. The Singlecut plays out of this world. The action can be set to where a piece of paper can barely fit between the strings and frets and NOT have any fret buzz. Try that with a Les Paul.
The SE models are fantastic, too. I was really impressed with Santana SE. Great buys for the intermediate player and a nice alternative to Epiphone and MIM fenders.
The only cons I can list is that when I palm mute, I'm so used to playing a Les Paul that I play sloppy because the bridge is in a different position than the Gibson. The other is that I'm freakin afraid to get it dirty!!

On the other hand I do LOVE GIBSONS and would take a nice vintage Les Paul over the PRS anyday. My other guitar at the moment is a 2003 Les Paul Standard and I love it, too. Maybe more.

I am an absolute PRS devotee

Ever since I got my first Singlecut, I have slowly been selling off all my other guitars and replacing them with PRSi. They are unreal guitars for me....the PERFECT guitar for me....play like they're part of me, and sound simply unreal.

Not to mention girls start taking their clothes off at the site of them

Overall, though expensive, they are worth every penny to me....no guitars plays like a USA PRS. I bought a Singlecut, still have it, got a McCarty, and now I have another one on the way
My roommate has a Custom 22. It is a sweet guitar. But for the money, i'd rather have something else. But the guitar plays AMAZING!!!
They should have a "PRS Owners Unite!" thread....... I don't own one but I'd like to see everyone else's
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Well in sense PRS are gibson , because a guy who worked i gibson opend the company
Quote by WiNteRls
Well in sense PRS are gibson , because a guy who worked i gibson opend the company

That's a pretty dumb statement.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by imnotastoner

I have that exact guitar and LOVE it. It will definately hold me over until I can save up for one of the American made PRS's.

Here's a good video/review demonstrating the SE Custom and SE Singlecut (FYI, both of these are Gold Award winners for overall value at Guitar World):

SE Custom & SE Singlecut video
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH

SBN Lil' Eagle
Boss MT-2

Peavey Windsor Studio
Quote by Tallman
They are comically overpriced. But they play very well.

Except the SE models, which are very impressive for the price.

PRS SE guitars (the only ones I can afford to look at) are very flexable and well made. The ones I played, at least.