I have a Traynor YCV20 which I love. It has really beautiful cleans and overdrives nicely (I really dont like the lead channel though...). I've been having a problem lately though in the fact that this is a very bassy-midrangey amp. Very marshall sounding. For low volume cleans this is great and I have a couple of EQ settings on it that I use. The problem is that when I crank the amp, it tends to get a bit farty sounding if you know what I mean. It isn't always a bad thing, but if I really drive the amp hard it gets bassy as hell. To the point where I have to bump to treble to 9 or 10 while bringing down the mids and lows to about 3. It breaks up beatifully, but its just so hard to get an articulate sound especially on the E and A strings.

So I was thinking about a couple things:

I need an external cab cuz it just cant handle it at full volume

I need to mod it somehow for less muddiness (I hear ppl do this all the time to similar amps, so I should be able to find something.)

What do you guys think?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by philipisabeast
Boost mids etc and i'd probably say the idea of an EQ isn't a bad one

Yeah but the problem is not the tone its the clarity. I don't want to have to cut the mids and bass but I have too to get it clear.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

If it's clarity then get a comprehensive EQ (MXR 10-band for example) to sort out your tone and some compressions to tighten it up maybe?
Other options might be upgrading to a larger amp so you have more headroom to crank it before it breaks up
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
If it's clarity then get a comprehensive EQ (MXR 10-band for example) to sort out your tone and some compressions to tighten it up maybe?
Other options might be upgrading to a larger amp so you have more headroom to crank it before it breaks up

Well, the thing is, I want it to break up. I love the overdrive on it. I want to crank it so it gets that natural distortion. I just don't want it to be muddy. The only way I can keep it from getting muddy at max volume is to almost completely cut the mids and bass. Then the tone isnt exactly awesome.

I'll rephrase my question for you guys...

I want to be able to crank my amp to the max for natural OD while NOT having to cut mids and bass to keep it from getting muddy.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Well then isn't that just a case of the amps natural voicing?

I'd suggest an EQ though still, to try and boost the treble to see if that happens to help it
Maybe a simple treble booster is all you need, not even a full blown eq
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not