Ok, I've got the desktop at home for about 3 years, it runs XP. the main specs are:

-Asus P4C800 Deluxe
-Intel Pentium 4, 2.8GHz
-NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
-256 MB (DDR 400 Mhz) of RAM

As you have already noticed, it got really few RAM, wich makes it too slow.
I want to buy more ram, but i saw this two chips:

-1 GB (DDR 400 MHz) for 49.90€ link: http://www.chip7.pt/catalogo/detalhes_produto.php?id=8503
-2 GB (DDRII 667 MHz) for 55.90€ link: http://www.chip7.pt/catalogo/detalhes_produto.php?id=14737

So my question is: instead of buying the first one (that is DDR) and add it to the PC, can I buy the second one that is DDRII for more 5€, take from the PC the one that I'm using and use just the new?

Thanks in advance!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Buy a new computer, that one is junk you and can't really upgrade anything.. look at tigerdirect.com for a barebones kit.
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
Quote by Shib
Buy a new computer, that one is junk you and can't really upgrade anything.. look at tigerdirect.com for a barebones kit.

Quote by 666_Pounder
Yep you can forget about upgrading that its a waste of money, save for a whole new system thats what I've had to do.

At this moment I can't afford a new one lol

Quote by cgs1994
use a program called Fresh Ram, google it.

Will it be enough for 256 MB?

Quote by Alex88
No your motherboard wont support DDR2.

Thanks!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

No you can't fit in DDR2 in a DDR motherboard, so you'll need to get the 1GB, but that should already help out a **** load :P.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Don't buy a new mobo. Just buy the Ram that is compatable with your motherboard. It should run xp just fine. It's not a high end gaming computer, but just the upgrade of your RAM should be enough to run xp smoothly. People that say your computer is a piece of crap are just being idiots. For some reason (probably because they are all still dependants) they think money is no object. Well, I'll tell you, if you lack funds, just get the RAM. 256 ram is not good. A gig should be more than enough. If your computer still runs xp shakey, you might want to evaluate the programs you are running on it.
Also, no, fresh ram won't be enough for 256. HeliuM is right though. Good luck. And enjoy once you get that new RAM. It will make a world of difference.
the 1 gig is definitly the best one. in fact xp runs very smooth on 512 even, although if your looking into and recent games, your pc is useless, but older stuff should still work fine,
i can run battlefield 2 (minimum settings) on my pc, which has a athlon xp 2000+ (1.6 ghz) 512megs of ram, and a radeon 9200. runs smooth other than occasional hitches on some maps with 20 or so bots.

anything other than games should run perfectly fine unless its video editing or anything of the sort.
"Memory IS RAM"

1 cookie for ayone who gets the reference.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Should've gone with Vista....Readyboost FTW

are you serious? he has 256mb of ram, thats no where near the minimum requirement for vista. god i hate noobs.
Quote by soulphonate
Don't buy a new mobo. Just buy the Ram that is compatable with your motherboard. It should run xp just fine. It's not a high end gaming computer, but just the upgrade of your RAM should be enough to run xp smoothly. People that say your computer is a piece of crap are just being idiots. For some reason (probably because they are all still dependants) they think money is no object. Well, I'll tell you, if you lack funds, just get the RAM. 256 ram is not good. A gig should be more than enough. If your computer still runs xp shakey, you might want to evaluate the programs you are running on it.

Quote by dark&broken
the 1 gig is definitly the best one. in fact xp runs very smooth on 512 even, although if your looking into and recent games, your pc is useless, but older stuff should still work fine,
i can run battlefield 2 (minimum settings) on my pc, which has a athlon xp 2000+ (1.6 ghz) 512megs of ram, and a radeon 9200. runs smooth other than occasional hitches on some maps with 20 or so bots.

anything other than games should run perfectly fine unless its video editing or anything of the sort.

thanks for the help
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Moontard
are you serious? he has 256mb of ram, thats no where near the minimum requirement for vista. god i hate noobs.

It was a joke, you douche. Readyboost cannot fully replace RAM...

Sorry for the heat, TS

Yeah...get the 1gig. Like they said.
Nope, no sig here.