A mixer mixes multiple audio signals together into a single audio signal.

An audio interface (marketing term for pro audio sound cards) is a device which acts as your communication device between your computer and all your audio sources.

Both are completely different.
An interface is a overused term. But generally refers to a box that adapts diffierent types of sound sources, and provides pre-amps for the very low level sources like mic or instruments and provides it digital to a computer. The computer then serves as mixer for combining the signals and modifying them with effects/processors. The Presonsous firebox is a interface box like this.

For live performances, most prefer to use a mixer (one with real knobs and faders) which also combines all your sources, then it provides a combined output to the sound systems/PA.

Some mixers are designed to be "interfaces" to PC's and so they may have SPD/IF, Firewire, or USB ports, plus a l ine output for stereo recording.

My opinion is if playing live is something you do and/or you prefer real faders and knobs, get a mixer with firewire and it will serve both purposes. If all you want to us a PC for is recording, then an interface is all you need.

If you need more portable recording, and don't have a laptop, then you need a MTR (multi-track recorder), like the KORG series.
We use the sony mixers with the usb capabilities great for recording live performances.
Quote by ozarkracer
An interface is a overused term. But generally refers to a box that adapts diffierent types of sound sources, and provides pre-amps for the very low level sources like mic or instruments and provides it digital to a computer. The computer then serves as mixer for combining the signals and modifying them with effects/processors. The Presonsous firebox is a interface box like this.

For live performances, most prefer to use a mixer (one with real knobs and faders) which also combines all your sources, then it provides a combined output to the sound systems/PA.

Some mixers are designed to be "interfaces" to PC's and so they may have SPD/IF, Firewire, or USB ports, plus a l ine output for stereo recording.

My opinion is if playing live is something you do and/or you prefer real faders and knobs, get a mixer with firewire and it will serve both purposes. If all you want to us a PC for is recording, then an interface is all you need.

If you need more portable recording, and don't have a laptop, then you need a MTR (multi-track recorder), like the KORG series.

okay, I think that makes sense. So basically, an interface converts sound into a format that is compatabile with a computer, and a mixer simply allows you to alter a recording , without making the sound computer compatible, right?
Last edited by Spamwise at Jan 30, 2008,
Correct

Theres also Digital mixers, they are not interfaces for recording.
They connect via USB or firewire to a computer and have on board FX such as reverb, compression, and others. The connection to the computer allows easier setup and control over the board.

They connect like an analog mixer and need to be paired with a digital recorder to record anything but they are great for live use since you can preset the automation and such so when it comes to recording or doing PA for a band all you have to do is hit a few presets from time to time.

A combo I'm going for in my studio is the Yamaha 01V96V2 digital mixer and to record, the Alesis ADAT-HD24 connected via ADAT Optical cable.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jan 30, 2008,