Noob here, I have $400 beans between a credit and some extra cash to spend at music123.

Allready own:
Ibanez RG3EX1 (2 presumably passive EMG-designed H pickups)
Cube 30x
MG15MSII microstack (I like better than the cube at times but I dont want to start a war in this thread)
Pocket Pod

I'm considering getting a standard 3 single coil strat to play around with. Any suggestions on how to spend the cash?
New pickups, and then save more for amp.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
you could get a much nicer strat if you buy used rather than online, you could probably get a used american, or hell even better get a used tube amp
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I have a Ibanez 3exqm1 with real EMGs on ebay for $250 if you wanna scoop that up.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Pickups could be an option.

Most of the cash is locked in a credit from returning a LP standard that was refurbed so buying elsewhere wont work. The LP was a sweet guitar but it was a neckbreaker for me. I was also getting cramps in my fretting wrist only when I used it.

Tube amp if affordable makes sense. If I step up to $470 they have the B-52 AT-112 60-Watt 1x12" Tube Combo Amp. Whatcha think?
Last edited by warped_1 at Jan 29, 2008,
Useful_Idiot16 - Damn thats a nice score for someone on ebay. I love mine and you upgraded the pickups. I wish that was there b4 I got mine.
What kind of music do you play?
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

I'm just starting off and have been playing a lot of early Metallica since it seems easier to learn, Priest, Motley Crue, and attempting Maiden but have a lot of trouble picking them. I'm totally into most styles of metal from the 80s and early 90's, just not grundge or death metal. Love me some ACDC.

Some early lessons on blues have perked my interest even though I never listened to that style before. Thats why I was considering a strat. Actually, maybe a HSS strat would fit me well to play some maiden .

sg4ever - You think the b-52 amp is the way to go?
i have an HSS standard strat, and love it...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Go for a new amp.

Peavey Classic 30 or Crate V32. They are good for classic rock up through 80's metal. My V16 gets 80s metal pretty easily but I don't know how much gain the Classic 30. Also, if you could pikc up a used Traynor YCV40 or YCV50 Blue, that would probably be your best.
Okay, the parties here seem to agree - amp. I tend to agree after thinking about it, I really like my Ibanez so Im seriously looking at this.

The Peavy classic 30 combo is $599.99. The Classic Head is less at $549.
Keeping in mind that I bedroom practice, is this overkill?

Dare I ask if I get the head instead of the combo, can I use it with my micro stacks 2 - 10" cabinets for now and then buy a real cabinet in 6 - 12 months?
It wouldn't sound as good because of the ****ty speakers. Get the combo it still will be pretty loud and if you don't gig it will be great for you. Halfstacks are not all there made out to be.

Good choice on the amp btw. That amps pretty sweet.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by warped_1
forgot to mention that I dont gig and dont forsee it in the future.

I'd spend about half your wad on a 5W tube amp like the Epi VJ, Blackheart, or Palomino V8. Maybe get an OD pedal like the Digitech Bad Monkey to go along with it. If you're not planning on gigging, you don't need anything bigger than that. But you'll love the tone, and probably sell your other amps in short order - giving you enough money to pursue a new guitar in no time.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I'd spend about half your wad on a 5W tube amp like the Epi VJ, Blackheart, or Palomino V8. Maybe get an OD pedal like the Digitech Bad Monkey to go along with it. If you're not planning on gigging, you don't need anything bigger than that. But you'll love the tone, and probably sell your other amps in short order - giving you enough money to pursue a new guitar in no time.

Yeah, I'd personally go with this. I think the Blackheart would be good choice. As for an OD pedal, I'm not sure. You'd have to check and see what's good for what you want.
Quote by Vermintide

Tough to decide here. Maybe one last tidbit of info on my taste can zero this thing in. I hope this helps.

When just practicing and noodling with my pocket pod thru headphones, I use the Brit High Gain amp model. Looking this up at line6 I found this is a model/repro of a JCM 800.

What is the closet thing affordable to get that tone naturally, without modeling?

I like the 5w option also. Still poking, and will see reponses to above.
Traynor YCV50 Blue is pretty close to a JCM800 sound. I liked it alot when I played for a short time. THe cleans were nice than Marshall's and the gain was very similar. They go for about $750 new so you might be able to get one for $400. I would say saving another few hundred would open up your options much more.
Yeah, I think the Blackheart with an OD pedal would do that tone quite nicely. Here's the head and cab version, and here's the combo amp version. Both are $249.99, it's just preference on which one you want. And here's a Maxon OD808 overdrive pedal.
Quote by Vermintide

Quote by acdcrocks0323
Traynor YCV50 Blue is pretty close to a JCM800 sound. I liked it alot when I played for a short time. THe cleans were nice than Marshall's and the gain was very similar. They go for about $750 new so you might be able to get one for $400. I would say saving another few hundred would open up your options much more.

theyre only 600.
But, since you have to spend it on 123music or w/e that site was...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290200660975&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=290195409743&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Thanks all for the input. As always UG is the place where noobs can get info without being attacked! I almost pulled the trigger on the blackheart last night but I am going to hold off to see the soon to be released Peavey Windsor Studio combo. It is listed to be availible Jan 30th at music123 and musiciansfriend.

If I needed the power, I'd get the Windsor head for the cash and mate it with a different cab. Although the lack of a clean channel seems to be a big complaint. I listened to some samples and I love the tone. Exactly what I am looking for, that 80's hair - metal sound.

The studio has a power attenuator which is very appealing since I cannot blast out at home. If I went with the head is there a way to do the same for low level / high gain playing?

I have $400 which is what the studio costs or the head by itself. I can easily raise another $300 for a cab by selling my other amps and some things on ebay.

This is it! Which one of those two options?
Yeah, if you like that tone, go for it, man. I'd go with the Windsor Studio over the plain ol' Windsor. The Windsor is 120 watts tube. You're never gonna be able to crank it and get power tube saturation. The studio it's only 20 watts and with the attenuator you should be able to get cranked tones out of that. Plus, if you always need more, you can hook up another cab to it or mic it, but you should be able to handle small gigs with that much power. It even has an XLR out for recording of you ever need it. You can even use a sh'itload of different power tubes with it, apparently, too. And $400 for a 20 watt tube combo ain't that bad.
Quote by Vermintide

ac/dc_freak91 - your help is much appreciated! Do you recommend the same pedal, if one at all, to go with the studio? If you ever visit Williamsburg VA I need to buy you some beers!
Quote by warped_1
I am going to hold off to see the soon to be released Peavey Windsor Studio combo. It is listed to be availible Jan 30th at music123 and musiciansfriend.

If I needed the power, I'd get the Windsor head for the cash and mate it with a different cab.

There's no guarantee that the Studio will have anything more in common with the Windsor head than the name. On the surface, it seems to be a completely different amp. I'm very interested in the Studio, too. I like playing with different sounds, and the ability to plug different power tubes into it really appeals to me. The power attenuator should make it a great bedroom amp, and with the right tube it should be able to handle jams and small gigs.

Earlier in this thread, you expressed concern about a 30W combo in your bedroom. I really don't think a 120W halfstack is a great option for you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I agree, if there was a power attenuator I could add to the halfstack I could be tempted since I like the tones I heard from it but all things considered, a 5 - 30w (max) tube is what I am looking for. It must have the ability to play high gain at low volumes. I hope some people get their hands on the studio soon. I am going to see if the Guitar center an hour away gets one in this week so I can check it out.

BTW - Looks like I have the Marshall microstack moved so I'm up to $600 on the budget. I'm going to hang onto the cube30x for now.
edit ... Disregard this one
Last edited by warped_1 at Jan 30, 2008,
Guitar Center is now saying on Feb 13th on the studio. Good thing I'm not in a hurry lol.
What about the Randall RG50TC, that might be good for you.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
That b52 looked good, try it out
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
I'm thinking of heading over to guitar center this weekend to hear some options. I am going to write down everything suggested here and take a listen. I can always order after trying there.

I was practicing tonight back on my cube 30x and would rather use my pocket pod into headphones than that lol. I think I must have a bad unit. It's so dull and over loaded with bass. I'm going to try and pick it up off the floor tomorrow to see if that helps.
Last edited by warped_1 at Jan 30, 2008,
If you like the tone of it without the pedal, then why bother. The pedal was to help you get some power tube saturation, which you should be able to do with the combination of 30 watts headroom and the attenuator. No need to buy me a beer, just tryin to be helpful.
Quote by Vermintide

I spoke with the local Guitar Center again today. Still no word on when the studio is coming in other than any day. I ordered it online and am eagerly waiting.

A side note, the guy I spoke with said he'd drop ship me the Windsor head for $299 and local pickup the cab for $249. So tempting but too much power. For giggles, I contacted Peavey and confirmed the tubes run in series so I couldn't pop out a pair to run it at 50w. The Peavy tech did also say the studios are shipping at any moment, but I think they've said that before judging from other threads.