Right.

Im looking to pick up a few things for my band (Well we're half a band right now) to throw together a few demo tracks. Basicly so we can drum up some interest, and find ourselves a good drummer (We have one in reserve... but well.. hes not too good... its a long story.. ha).

So i need a relitively cheap and versitle (Guitars, vocals and bass) set-up to throw some tracks together... And maybe some kind of programe for basic drums?

Things ive looked at:

- Shure SM58 (is there a better one-for-all kinda mic out there?)
- Fast Track USB to get it from microphone to PC

Do i need any more software or somthing for drums and things? There is some kind of software included with fast track..(I maaay be able to get my hand on Pro Tools from a friend....)

This is all being done in a small room so we'd have to record seperatly and close mic our amps and such, so does pro tools or the USB fast track software include some sort of click track or metrome?

Go easy on me cause im a complete n00b when it comes to home recording..
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
interfaces like protools do come with a clicker and as long as you conect your mics and so on to you computer some how should work.

as for recording guitars and bass I would sugest maybe getting somthing like ampitube saves up alot of room and works pretty much exactly like any guitar amp you can think of.

as for drums if you dont have an electric drumset at hand I sugest using somthing like guitar pro to write the Drum part in then use a program like FL to make it sound more like a real drum set.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Sounds good, although some might say the a straightforward SM57 would be a better bet.

I think the fast track will probably come with some software you would be able to use.
Quote by sam i am
Sounds good, although some might say the a straightforward SM57 would be a better bet.

I think the fast track will probably come with some software you would be able to use.

Would the SM57 be any use for vocals though? I was under the impression that it was designed for close mic-ing amps, drums and such...

Or is it better just to get a cheap vocal mic besides?

Thanks for your replys guys! =)
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

I've heard people say tha the SM57 is just as good for vocals. I don't really know myself. I would say that either would be better than a cheap vocal mic so don't bother with that.
Quote by sam i am
I've heard people say tha the SM57 is just as good for vocals. I don't really know myself. I would say that either would be better than a cheap vocal mic so don't bother with that.

Yeah, i realised as soon as i posted that the SM57 would still sound better than a cheap vocal mic, silly me! =P

Thanks for pointing it out all the same, haha.
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

The SM57 is the same microphone as the SM58 - it just has a ball head so that you can't get to close (reducing the chances of bass boost from the proximity effect) and an in built windshield to reduce noise. I would just recommend the good old '57.

The Fast track will certainly work for your needs. When I had mine, I think it came with Ableton Lite (although I am not sure) which you can record with, but isn't the best thing for that purpose in my opinion.

You could achieve good results with Audacity, which is free, or Reaper, which you can download and use for free but it does ask you to pay for it. It's not compulsory though.
There is poetry in despair.