I've bought Ibanez SAS36FM a few days ago, I like the guitar very much, but the strings that were on the guitar are terrible. I really hate that sound of cheap strings and tomorrow I'm going to buy new strings. I am going to buy DR's 10'. I've been using them for a while and I like them. The strings that were originally on the guitar are probably 9' and I really don't like them, so my question is will I have to mess with action once I change the strings to a higher gauge? I think it's already too low, should I just raise the complete bridge after changing the strings? I really don't have any experience with adjusting string height so any help would be very appreciated. Thanks
I wouldn't adjust the action just yet.

After putting the 10's on, check the bridge alignment, and neck relief first. Then give it a whirl for a day or two. Its going to be a different experience with the 10's
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I moved my guitar from a 9 to 11s and I didn't have to change a thing, so it may be ok.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
OK, thanks, but I already have some problems, the action is much lower than on my old squier, I can play a lot faster but I feel a bit sloppy, also when I hit power chords, low e and a strings buzz a lot so I really think it's necessary to adjust the action, what do you mean by bridge aligment? Recently my friend changed from 9's to 10's and his bridge looks to be somehow out of place, it's like the strings apply too much tension to it, if you push it it will go back to it's place but I doesn't stay there. What do you think he should do? Thanks
Quote by ivan987
...I can play a lot faster but I feel a bit sloppy, also when I hit power chords, low e and a strings buzz a lot...
This could be a result of too little bow in the neck, as well as being a problem with the action. Check this out. There is a lot of information there as to how to check the neck's relief as well as correct it

Quote by ivan987
...what do you mean by bridge aligment?
Bridge alignment is also summed up on the link I provided you. Basically the alignment of the bridge in relation to the body (They should be parallel). When you switch to heavier strings, the bridge is going to pull up because there isn't enough tension on the tremolo springs.

To add tension, remove the rear cover and tighten the screws 1 full turn, then re-tune the guitar and check the angle again. This can be a bitch of a process to get right, but if you use the same brand and gauge strings consistently, you should only have to do it once.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Thanks for your help, that link was very useful, this morning I've changed the strings to 10's, sound is much better, my friend who knows a lot about guitars made a setup and buzz is now almost completely reduced, but he says that neck was bowed completely the wrong way, so he loosened the truss rod, neck is slowly returning to the right position, now it's straight, but he said that the truss rod is completely loose so I'm a bit worried will the neck get that real bow shape?
If he overloosened the truss rod, it can be too loose and that is NOT good.

Did he make one large change, or did he make several small incremental changes? How long did it take for him to do said "setup"?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Well, we have been doing it for about two hours, he was really careful not to do anything wrong, he did it only in small steps, he said that I should tighten it up once the neck gets the proper bow. He also said that the truss rod was to tight, maybe the neck needs some time to readjust?
There it is. The neck should be adjusted slightly, checked, than left to rest for 30 minutes to settle. Even then I probably wouldn't make another change for another 30 minutes just to be sure of the result.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
So what is the best thing to do in your opinion now? I got rid of almost all fret buzz, but when I do that procedure to check the neck bow, the distance between 7th fret and the strings is very small, almost none? Thanks
Is the truss rod falling out or is it still somewhat firm?

As long as its not falling out of the neck and the neck doesn't look like a pretzel, I'd say your in good shape.

I would keep an eye on it for a few days just to see if it does change any further though
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
OK thanks, I repeated that procedure and now it looks OK, maybe the neck just needed some time to re-adjust, truss rod is not falling out, but I'm not sure what to do now, he told me to tighten it up a little once the neck gets in the right position, sorry I'm a bit paranoid, but it's my new guitar and I don't want to mess it up, thanks a lot
tighten the truss rod as tight as you can and raise the bridge! I'm joking the fingerboard will break.
First, using the method dictated in the link I gave you, get a solid measurement on your E strings, that way you can denote any change. If you've got a set of feeler gauges use them to measure the gap, if not, I'd highly suggest you get a set

Then just feel it out. If it feels loose, give it a 1/4 turn and let it sit for an hour then re-check your E's. If your measurement hasn't changed in an hour, give it even less of a turn (1/8) and let it sit again (Yes for an hour) then re-check.

Keep doing this until you feel its either tight enough, or you notice even the slightest change, then back it off by your last adjustment. Make sure you keep track of your adjustments and the time you did them so there is no confusion
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Welcome

Hope everything works out for you
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by ivan987
OK, thanks, but I already have some problems, the action is much lower than on my old squier, I can play a lot faster but I feel a bit sloppy, also when I hit power chords, low e and a strings buzz a lot so I really think it's necessary to adjust the action, what do you mean by bridge aligment? Recently my friend changed from 9's to 10's and his bridge looks to be somehow out of place, it's like the strings apply too much tension to it, if you push it it will go back to it's place but I doesn't stay there. What do you think he should do? Thanks

I had the same problem with my Ibanez. Turned out to be the Tremelo springs as they were being stretched more from the added tension. all i did was to add another spring on to take it from 3 to 4 springs and it was fine!