I have a Peavey 5150 combo, and it just now started to make a strange feedback kinda sound every few seconds (It's a sporadic sound, btw.), and I'm wondering if someone can help me diagnose the problem. The tubes on this thing haven't been changed in years, so I'm hoping that's what it is, but I'm not really sure considering I've never changed tubes on an amp or had this problem before.

Anyway, all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: A better description of the sound would be like static or something. Also, I have everything unplugged from the amp and it still makes that noise.
Last edited by xVSxNightmare at Jan 29, 2008,
Sounds like a microphonic preamp tube.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Sounds like a microphonic preamp tube.

Yeah, it does pick up noises from the air occasionally (My phone'll make a noise and the amp'll mimic it.).

Will replacing the tube fix the problem?
Definitely a microphonic preamp tube then.

Yes it will fix the problem, in fact it's not a bad idea to go ahead and change all the tubes just to be on the safe side.
Quote by Kendall
Yes, in fact it's not a bad idea to go ahead and change all the tubes just to be on the safe side.

I've been meaning to change em for a while, but I've been putting it off because of my lacking knowledge of tubes. Looks like I'm gonna have to do some research and figure out what I need.

Thanks!
It uses 5 12AX7 preamp tubes and 4 6L6GC power tubes. I'd get one very low noise preamp tube for the V1 position (ECC803s is the tube you're looking for) and 4 regular 12AX7 (or ECC83) tubes for the other four positions. Regarding power tubes any 6L6GC will work as will the industrial version of the same tube (5881). It's possible that KT66's will work as well.