Page 1 of 2
And I really would like your guys' advice on guitars, so I'll lay down some basic information real quick, so you know what I'm interested in.

I've been playing guitar for about 4 years, I've already got a $2000 RGT220H that I love to death, but I've really been hankering for a really nice 7 string guitar.

Music I Like:

I was raised on bands like Zeppelin, the Who, and all those classic rockers, but over the years, I've developed a taste for stuff by Dream Theater, Guthrie Govan, Vai, Satch, Ensiferum, CoB and all that heavier, more technical stuff.

Not to sound like a total metal head, even though I do loves me the metal, I like stuff like Bang Camero, Rush, Greg Howe, Shawn Lane and all sorts of cool stuff.

The specs that I'm looking for are:
24 fret finger board
Neck-thru is preferred
A Floyd Rose or other good locking tremolo
7 string

I've been looking into Carvins and they seem to be one of the front runners in my hopeful list thus far, just wondering what UG had to offer as far as opinions. Thanks in advance,

Dudage.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Last edited by Dudage at Jan 29, 2008,
Carvin would be good, but also look into getting a custom Ran.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by punk_rock_isaac

or not...

..not a seven string
..not neck thru
..overpriced sig model

TS i'd look into a custom carvin if i were you
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
or not...

..not a seven string
..not neck thru
..overpriced sig model

TS i'd look into a custom carvin if i were you

Haha, sorry, im on another planet, dunno what i was talking about, but yeah, ive only heard good things about carvin, so id stick with that idea
SG commando

Inserts hilarious quote here
If you like your Ibanez, look into a Universe of some kind, though a used one will be a better deal and the quality may be a bit higher. Also consider Ernie Ball John Petrucci, as I believe he has a 7 string with them.
Those Caparison's looked really interesting, does any one have one of them so I can get an idea of the build quality/price?

Also, the Ran company's custom feature looked neat, and a quote is currently being sent to my inbox.

Still Carvin has the most concrete proof of quality, and the guitar I'd get would only cost me $1500.

Thanks for the help so far guys, even though some of you clearly didn't read the specs that I posted :S. Keep em coming!
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
You could always try to find an RG7620, pay no more than $700 for it, and have a ton of cash left to throw around. Not a neckthru, but other than that, doesn't get any better.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
You could always try to find an RG7620, pay no more than $700 for it, and have a ton of cash left to throw around. Not a neckthru, but other than that, doesn't get any better.

Coming from you, I'll definitely take a look, thanks.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
It's got the Universe neck, a pair of DiMarzio Blazes and the LoPro 7. Pretty affordable too, I just sold mine a week ago for $450, and all it had is a tiny nick.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
It's got the Universe neck, a pair of DiMarzio Blazes and the LoPro 7. Pretty affordable too, I just sold mine a week ago for $450, and all it had is a tiny nick.

I wish I lived in a kind of place where I had ready access to used guitars. Up here all I have is a crappy little store where all the guitars are barracuda starter strats and the used guitars are even worse.

I might have to drive into Vancouver or Victoria or something to check that out. I wish I knew you were selling it! I would have been all over that
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Dudage
Those Caparison's looked really interesting, does any one have one of them so I can get an idea of the build quality/price?

Also, the Ran company's custom feature looked neat, and a quote is currently being sent to my inbox.

Still Carvin has the most concrete proof of quality, and the guitar I'd get would only cost me $1500.

Thanks for the help so far guys, even though some of you clearly didn't read the specs that I posted :S. Keep em coming!

caparison's have extreemly good quality. hand built and painted ect.. i would get one if i had the money.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by Dudage
I wish I lived in a kind of place where I had ready access to used guitars. Up here all I have is a crappy little store where all the guitars are barracuda starter strats and the used guitars are even worse.

I might have to drive into Vancouver or Victoria or something to check that out. I wish I knew you were selling it! I would have been all over that

Keep an eye on ebay, they pop up often.

Seriously, if it were not for ebay, I'd still be playing something Korean that I'd have paid a fortune for.
Quote by pifty
Keep an eye on ebay, they pop up often.

Rodger that.

That was the first thing I checked as soon as you recommended the RG7.

They only have a black one with EMGs right now, but I'll keep my eyes peeled
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Dudage
Rodger that.

That was the first thing I checked as soon as you recommended the RG7.

They only have a black one with EMGs right now, but I'll keep my eyes peeled

The RG7620 is a great guitar, I changed the electronics (just switch, output and volume pot; removed the tone) a few days ago and it sounds even better.

If you can't find it or want something else, look into this:

It has a trem, awesome neck, some cool inovations and DiMarzio pickups.

Plus they were the brand of choice for Shawn Lane.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
ibanez-XPT707
-seven string
-great 24 fret neck
-neck through
but its a fixed bridge-no trem/dont need lock
Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...
Ibanez Universe, or Caparison Dellinger 7. Yes, i know, it's not a neck-through, but as an avowed fanboy of neckthrough guitars who has to deal with bolt-ons, the joint on the Caparison is super tight, and barely there. Amazing guitars, Caparison.
carvin would be a veeryyyyy good choice.
its too bad parker doesnt make a 7 string....
Quote by peever
its too bad parker doesnt make a 7 string....

I'll yeah to that.

Ah hell, forget 7-string, get a Parker.
Quote by pifty
I'll yeah to that.

Ah hell, forget 7-string, get a Parker.

Well to be fair, their site says they don't have one yet, so who knows
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Well to be fair, their site says they don't have one yet, so who knows

They do mention (even somewhere on their site) that they're not planning to release a 7 string Fly since there's not enough demand to justify increasing their production footprint. They won't even make a custom 7. I'm guessing it makes sense, in a way, a Fly's not the easiest guitar to cook up.

Having said that, the run of the mill six string Fly is pretty much a perfect guitar in my book.
Quote by pifty
They do mention (even somewhere on their site) that they're not planning to release a 7 string Fly since there's not enough demand to justify increasing their production footprint. They won't even make a custom 7. I'm guessing it makes sense, in a way, a Fly's not the easiest guitar to cook up.

Having said that, the run of the mill six string Fly is pretty much a perfect guitar in my book.

It figures you find it the perfect guitar, given that you own one
Quote by TheNextJimi
For a little cheaper than 2000, you could get the Jeff Loomis 7-string, Has 24 frets, original floyd rose, but has a set neck and I am not really sure how much of a difference that is from a neck thru. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Jeff-Loomis-C7-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=513832

I would not buy Korean when I could easily buy an American, Japanese, or other custom model (Polish for Ran) by someone else.
Just add my vote to everyone one else that said Carvin. I love mine.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Quote by Bonsaischaap
It figures you find it the perfect guitar, given that you own one
Yeah, wouldn't think I'd ever own one of those. But this one day I went to buy some strings, and I saw a Parker on the wall, and I was like, hey - so what are these ugly bastards all about. Played it, bought one a few days later. It's that good, and the only $1500+ guitar I've ever played that I felt was worth the price.

I recommend at least doing yourself a favour and playing a Fly if you've got a hefty budget to blow on a guitar. Not necessary to spend over two grand on one like I did, as standard Deluxes can be had for under $1500 in new condition.
Quote by Dudage
And I really would like your guys' advice on guitars, so I'll lay down some basic information real quick, so you know what I'm interested in.

I've been playing guitar for about 4 years, I've already got a $2000 RGT220H that I love to death, but I've really been hankering for a really nice 7 string guitar.

Music I Like:

I was raised on bands like Zeppelin, the Who, and all those classic rockers, but over the years, I've developed a taste for stuff by Dream Theater, Guthrie Govan, Vai, Satch, Ensiferum, CoB and all that heavier, more technical stuff.

Not to sound like a total metal head, even though I do loves me the metal, I like stuff like Bang Camero, Rush, Greg Howe, Shawn Lane and all sorts of cool stuff.

The specs that I'm looking for are:
24 fret finger board
Neck-thru is preferred
A Floyd Rose or other good locking tremolo
7 string

I've been looking into Carvins and they seem to be one of the front runners in my hopeful list thus far, just wondering what UG had to offer as far as opinions. Thanks in advance,

Dudage.

I would go for an ibanez RG1527 with a pickup swap. Or i might go for the Jeff Loomis shecter sig. Or the ibanez S7320.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The RG7620 is a great guitar, I changed the electronics (just switch, output and volume pot; removed the tone) a few days ago and it sounds even better.

If you can't find it or want something else, look into this:

*Giant Vigier Image*

It has a trem, awesome neck, some cool inovations and DiMarzio pickups.

Plus they were the brand of choice for Shawn Lane.

They do look pretty dandy, actually.

After a bit of research, I don't really know what to think about the lack of truss rod in the guitars. What do you think about it?

Do they still facilitate considerable string gauge change without warping or damage?

Does it come in a hardtail? I'm kind of a "Full out floating trem or no trem at all" kind of guy.

EDIT:

I've done considerable research involving Ibanez so far, and I will not get a 1527 or Xiphos, just aren't quite what I want.

Thanks again to everyone so far.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Last edited by Dudage at Jan 29, 2008,
i allready bought my xiphos 7, i played a 6 string version of it long ago, and loved the feel and tone, hated the bridge, so when they released a 7 of it with a string through, i ordered as soon as i could.
If you want a neck through with a floyd, i'd say carvin, or you could try the ESP custom shop if you're into those type of guitars, they might be over your price though, but i'd definantly get a quote from them.
ESP Custom Shop quote was over $5000.

Screw that
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Do you really need a seven string to play that.... Most the bands you listed don't even play seven string...I know petrucci does, dunno if laiho does...

Get a gibson, or a REALLY good fender+decent pickups.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony with gold hardware
Fender American Stratocaster 3 color sunburst maple fretboard tortoise shell pickguard
Martin 000-M Auditorium
Mesa Boogie F-50
Maxon OD-9
Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal
Quote by AndyMcDandy
Do you really need a seven string to play that.... Most the bands you listed don't even play seven string...I know petrucci does, dunno if laiho does...

Get a gibson, or a REALLY good fender+decent pickups.

You assume I only play songs by the bands I listen to.

It's called original material, you should try it some time. And like I already said, I have a nice 6 string guitar, and I would really like the extended range of the 7 string.

Read the thread, then post.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Dudage

You assume I only play songs by the bands I listen to.

It's called original material, you should try it some time. And like I already said, I have a nice 6 string guitar, and I would really like the extended range of the 7 string.

Read the thread, then post.

Settle down, I wasn't trying to attack you or anything. Sorry if I said anything offensive.

Peace.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony with gold hardware
Fender American Stratocaster 3 color sunburst maple fretboard tortoise shell pickguard
Martin 000-M Auditorium
Mesa Boogie F-50
Maxon OD-9
Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal
I love my Carvin 7 string. It does need a pickup change, and it does have an LFR, from what iv'e heard they're from schaller though (not a bad LFR) but other than that, it's an amazing guitar.

I really wouldn't mind owning a John Petrucci 7 string either.

As far as ibanez and shecter go...you really gotta try one out before you make that decision. Personally I hate ibanez necks on 7 strings, they kill my wrist. Quite a few other guitarists love them. I do prefer schecter's fat, wide necks, although many guitarists prefer the ibanez necks to schecter. A C7 hellraiser, and Ibanez RG7620's are great choices though if you're looking for one at a great price.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Dudage
They do look pretty dandy, actually.

After a bit of research, I don't really know what to think about the lack of truss rod in the guitars. What do you think about it?

Do they still facilitate considerable string gauge change without warping or damage?

Does it come in a hardtail? I'm kind of a "Full out floating trem or no trem at all" kind of guy.

It doesn't come with a hardtail or FR stock, but you can always send them an email; all their guitars are made to order, so they might be able to work it out.

Also, read this:

http://www.vigierguitars.com/html/Description_US/Guitars/Tremolo2017.html

It's not a regular vintage style tremolo, it's actually incredibly stable.

As for the lack of trussrod, it's great. They didn't just leave it out, they replaced it with a strip of carbon fibre. This means that the neck is always straight, regardless of tunings, climate or string gauge.

Of course, it might not be a very happy guitar tuned up to G with 17's, but most normal tunings and string gauges should work out: I've never heard anyone complain about.
Quote by pifty
Yeah, wouldn't think I'd ever own one of those. But this one day I went to buy some strings, and I saw a Parker on the wall, and I was like, hey - so what are these ugly bastards all about. Played it, bought one a few days later. It's that good, and the only $1500+ guitar I've ever played that I felt was worth the price.

I recommend at least doing yourself a favour and playing a Fly if you've got a hefty budget to blow on a guitar. Not necessary to spend over two grand on one like I did, as standard Deluxes can be had for under $1500 in new condition.

To TS, Caparison are a branch owned by ESP but make high end guitars. Each guitar is of awesome quality; if you can try one out, you won't be disappointed!
Quote by Dudage

Its for slae on Vancouver craigslist. The guy is re-selling it for $800...
Page 1 of 2