So my family just went on a trip, and I decided to bring my laptop. On the trip, my mom used it and it started spazzing (there were multiple images of the screen overlapped on each other in ever direction). We thought it was broken, so we put it away for the night, but it worked the next morning (yesterday). It worked fine all day until last night when it spazzed out again. I thought if I left it alone for the night it might work, but it didn't. I let the batteries on the laptop drain while I was at school, and it still doesn't work. Sadly, doing barrol rolls while rubbing icy hot on it didn't work either

Can someone please tell me what's wrong with the laptop and maybe how to fix it?

EDIT: It also spazzes from the start up where it shows the label of the computer brand before starting up windows, so it might not be a virus....?

EDITEDIT: Pic of desktop

Last edited by LysolIsTasty at Jan 29, 2008,
Too much pr0n
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
Virus of some sort.

Damn, so if it clears up should I run a scan?

Mother ****ing craigslist DOES have viruses...
Maybe the graphics card is shot.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebraskan
Too much pr0n

The thing is, I've been using the same sites for months now for pr0n and my computer hasn't gotten a single virus on it.

Quote by nebiru
Maybe the graphics card is shot.

I was also considering that...
Quote by LysolIsTasty
Damn, so if it clears up should I run a scan?

Mother ****ing craigslist DOES have viruses...

Well it's probably best to run one anyway just to make sure. Virus's on computer's don't just 'clear up' it will stay there forever if you don't delete it.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
You're watching the wrong type of pr0n...
*cough* 2G1C *cough* 1G1P *cough*
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
Well it's probably best to run one anyway just to make sure. Virus's on computer's don't just 'clear up' it will stay there forever if you don't delete it.

By "clears up", I meant when the screen goes back to normal (if it does)

Quote by nebraskan
You're watching the wrong type of pr0n...
*cough* 2G1C *cough* 1G1P *cough*

I don't get it
format it and put a fresh copy on.
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.
Are you sure you used the right kind of icy hot? A common newbie mistake is to just grab any tube and hope that it'll do!

Can you take a picture of your laptop when it does this? It could be anything, I would not say that it has to be a virus.

Free, easy to use virus scanner:
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
Quote by Wardster
format it and put a fresh copy on.

If it's not too much trouble, do you mind explaining how to do that?
Quote by LysolIsTasty

I don't get it

you don't want to.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by whoismilan
Are you sure you used the right kind of icy hot? A common newbie mistake is to just grab any tube and hope that it'll do!

Can you take a picture of your laptop when it does this? It could be anything, I would not say that it has to be a virus.

Free, easy to use virus scanner:
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

I'll try
Quote by LysolIsTasty
If it's not too much trouble, do you mind explaining how to do that?

It evolves you making a backup of all files that you want to keep. IF it is a virus, you could very well end up transferring the virus to wherever you move your backuped files.

I would first try finding the cause, then work on a solution.

If the virus scanner I linked to earlier doesn't find anything, this is what I will recommend:
Download some Linux distribution that can run from a live CD, for example Ubuntu. Choose to download the i386 version, if you are asked. Then burn that to a CD, and put it in the CD drive when the computer is starting. After a few minutes, you should have a fully functional desktop on your screen. Play around some to make sure your computer is working, for example, press the Firefox icon and browse the web for a while.

Don't let the word "Linux" scare you away, it honestly is as easy as I explained. This will not install anything on your hard drive, it will run straight from the CD.

The reason I would want you to do this, is that then you can rule out a lot of things. Basically, the only causes you have left after this, is that it might be a virus that the scanner failed to detect, or possibly that it might be some kind of data corruption problem (although based on the symptoms you described, I would say that this is less likely). But again, first run the virus scanner.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Is the fan working properly?

does it get really hot really quick?

something inside might've melted.

I'm pretty sure the fan works because it never gets too hot to touch or anything.
Quote by whoismilan
It evolves you making a backup of all files that you want to keep. IF it is a virus, you could very well end up transferring the virus to wherever you move your backuped files.

I would first try finding the cause, then work on a solution.

If the virus scanner I linked to earlier doesn't find anything, this is what I will recommend:
Download some Linux distribution that can run from a live CD, for example Ubuntu. Choose to download the i386 version, if you are asked. Then burn that to a CD, and put it in the CD drive when the computer is starting. After a few minutes, you should have a fully functional desktop on your screen. Play around some to make sure your computer is working, for example, press the Firefox icon and browse the web for a while.

Don't let the word "Linux" scare you away, it honestly is as easy as I explained. This will not install anything on your hard drive, it will run straight from the CD.

The reason I would want you to do this, is that then you can rule out a lot of things. Basically, the only causes you have left after this, is that it might be a virus that the scanner failed to detect, or possibly that it might be some kind of data corruption problem (although based on the symptoms you described, I would say that this is less likely). But again, first run the virus scanner.

Ughh sounds like it takes effort...

I'll try to figure out how to get the virus scan working, then if it doesn't work I'll check this
Quote by LysolIsTasty
Ughh sounds like it takes effort...

It doesn't. You just download a file, burn it to a CD, and put that CD in the drive when you start the laptop.

...then you will enter the magical world of Linux, where you won't have to worry about how there might be a virus on your computer.
Quote by whoismilan
It doesn't. You just download a file, burn it to a CD, and put that CD in the drive when you start the laptop.

...then you will enter the magical world of Linux, where you won't have to worry about how there might be a virus on your computer.

The thing is that my computer is in that constant state. It doesn't freeze up, it just goes all weird but I can still use it.
Quote by LysolIsTasty
The thing is that my computer is in that constant state. It doesn't freeze up, it just goes all weird but I can still use it.

Do you have a second computer or a friends computer that you can use?

I just saw that you had updated your first post with the picture. Is it like that when BIOS starts (that black text which is the first stuff you see when you start the computer)? I would guess that it doesn't look like a hardware error, possibly driver error caused by data corruption or virus is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it.

Do you know how to start your computer in safe mode? That is, when it is booting, you tap F8, you get to a prompt, and choose "Safe mode" or something similar. Try this next, and see what happens.
Quote by LysolIsTasty

Did you download any bad drivers? I downloaded an Omega Nvidia driver and it did that to my comp in a variety of ways.

Anyways, on the loading screen, go to the set up options (I think by pressing F8 or F11 or one of those rapidly until you hear the beep.) Then go to Enter in safe mode option and if it asks you if you want to system restore hit yes. Chose a date before the problem started and restore to that date. Now, you'll know if it's a virus because system restore is so effective some of the time it takes the virus with it... In that case, enter safe mode again, decline for a system restore and do a virus scan. If the one the guy showed you doesn't catch anything but you've narrowed it down to a virus, download a different free scanner like AdAware SE or AVG whatever.

EDIT: Lol, nice idea there milan
I'll try those too, right after the virus scan is done.

and in the black box start up it's like that too.
Quote by GuitarManiac09
EDIT: Lol, nice idea there milan

Quote by LysolIsTasty
and in the black box start up it's like that too.

Really? The first things you see are like that, even before the Windows logo? Because then I want to move away from driver error and move closer to saying that it's a very good chance that you're screwed, the worse-than-virus kind of screwed.

You didn't want to try the thing with Linux, but still, I guess you could just try inserting a Windows CD and see if it still is like this (you should get some blue and white stuff on your screen), but if it's still bad, then you need to get a professional to look over it.