Page 1 of 2
Hey, got my first electric guitar about two months ago. It's a Fender Starcaster (it was pritty cheap and it came in a pack with a basic Fender SP.10). So far i have been pritty successful learning classic riffs. However, i recently decided to learn Enter Sandman by metallica. I can play it but when it comes to the riffs which involve palm muting i get more of a 'thud' rather than a 'crunch'. I think my technique's fine placing the palm of my hand on the strings near the bridge with not too much pressure. I think it's the guitar and the amp i have, i'm not sure, but if it is, does anyone have any suggestions for me of what guitar/amp i should buy to sound more like Metallica!

Thanks.
"pritty"
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Did you look at the amp settings thread?
last.fm
Quote by darkstar2466
*head explodes*
You sir, are a god.

Quote by BBW
This song is about Little Red Riding Hood and her trials and tribulations with the Big Bad Wolf. He was a cunt who liked to bother pigs when they relaxed after work in their houses.
At least buy a guitar with humbuckers and get a distortion pedal, or a tube amp like a Crate palomino V8 with an OD pedal.
I think it's because that amp only has overdrive, which isn't the same as a distortion channel. Basically they're just **** amps.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
A custom ESP with EMG's and Mesa/Boogie Rectifiers. They should do the trick.

Or you could get something like a VOX valvetronix and if that doesn't satisfy, get something by ltd/ibanez or schecter.
Quote by Funkychicken313
Did you look at the amp settings thread?

With that amp?

Anyway, I suggest you try to get enough money for a Roland Microcube. It should be enough for you until you need more volume to play with other people. Other alternative is the Vox Valvetronix line. But steer away from the Marshall MG line, you're paying for the name "Marshall", not the tone.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
You DONT need a new guitar, especially after 2 months. Its down to your technique, or lack thereof, so just practice more. PM can be achieved on any guitar.
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
If you have strato with single pickups You won't sound like on EMG 81 (or something like that, as James and Kirk uses), good drive is second part of success, good EQ is the last one.
Get a guitar with humbuckers, preferably EMG's. Then find a nice tube amp, with a distortion channel, or get a separate distortion pedal.

Of course, since you've only had that guitar for 2 months, I suggest you just work with what you have.
if your a beginner it is best to only mute the strings that need muting and concentrate on getting that right!
Also, place your palm on the bridge move your hand forward a little when you strum as to stop getting the "thud" sound you want as little of your hand as possible on the strings whilst still muting!
Wait...Starcaster? Are you sure you don't mean a STRATOcaster?

I could be wrong, but a Starcaster looks like this

And does not come in a starter pack.

Sorry that this is irrelevant, just wanted to know.
Quote by sashki

He said "pritty" several times. I'm sure he means a Strat.
Quote by nebiru
He said "pritty" several times. I'm sure he means a Strat.

Nope.

It's basically a knockoff strat with a different headstock.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by sashki

Nah, what he's talking about is like a Wal-Mart Variety starter pack guitar. You know, they come with everything you need to start.

I had one when I started.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8448254&type=product&id=1183767507527&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8448254

There's a link to one.
Or a Squire....

They come in those packs.
Yeah thanks, i don't want to buy a new guitar yet, i just wondered if i needed to buy a better one in the future to get that 'crunch' sound. I gather it's a mixture of both the technique and guitar/amp.
lol got too say trivium sound nought like mettalica they are good but they are just wanna bes deffinently recomend most £200+ ibanez for the sound like mine, or a esp mettalica signature series (wish i had one)
Last edited by dom_is_god at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Ask Trivium.

Ba-dum-tssch!
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Ask Trivium.

True, true.
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Ask Trivium.

i knew one of you fags were goin gto say that
LTD M-100FM
THE BEEST!
The real question is, why would you want to sound like Metallica?
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
i know what guitar and amp he's talking about. my friend has it and they sell it in target. the only settings on the amp is bass, treble, mid, and volume and a button that turns on distortion. the amp sounds bad to me. From the sound of it's not made for metal but it is loud. and it saids starcaster on the headstock but it looks like a stratocaster but Elite_T77 to solve your problem try palm muting as close to the bridge as possible, until you can't move your hand closer anymore
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I like the headstock of my Starcaster
But the guitar sucks, thats why I got the EC-50 and the Stellar.
Play with the EQ to get as close as you can, and make sure you're on the bridge pickup.
Main Gear:
guitars;
Gibson LPJ
Squire CLASSIC VIBE Stratocaster 60's
PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone Sheraton II

amps;
Bugera 1990, 6260
Egnater Tweaker
Quote by loc66sic
i knew one of you fags were goin gto say that

Maybe there's a reason you were expecting it. Maybe because it's TRUE.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by dom_is_god
lol got too say trivium sound nought like mettalica they are good but they are just wanna bes deffinently recomend most £200+ ibanez for the sound like mine, or a esp mettalica signature series (wish i had one)

Well if you want to recommend "the sound like yours" maybe you'd want to upload anything with that sound? And Trivium are Metallica wannabes, i.e. they sound like Metallica. Hate to explain jokes but well, there you have it.
to get the real chunky metallica sounds when playing riffs, try using only downstrokes instead of alternate picking. that's what hetfield does and it's a huge part of his trademark sound
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by sashki

I was thinkin how the **** he got a Starcaster in a start pack, maybe robbed Jonny Greenwood's.

Anyway, find your own sound.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by Child In Time
I was thinkin how the **** he got a Starcaster in a start pack, maybe robbed Jonny Greenwood's.

Anyway, find your own sound.

+1
AFAIK, Starcasters are those cheap supermarket Strats made by fender, below even squier.

Anyway. You're gonna need an Explorer, and a Mesa Boogie MK IV. Bargain at around $2000, and instant Metallica tone.

And a Crybaby Classic if you feel up to shredding like the shreddy shred god of shred Kirk so is.
Switch your pick up selector on the second position, starting from the top.

To palm mute, pressure is your enemy. Don't apply too much!
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Page 1 of 2