For one of the colleges I'm applying too I have to think up my own question then answer it in an essay. Thing is I can't really think of a good topic, keep in mind I'm going to major in music.

Anybody got ideas?
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
have a question like:

Why is heavy metal/rock music considered "the devils" music, why people think its bad and weird etc...
Quote by 2mins2midnite
have a question like:

Why is heavy metal/rock music considered "the devils" music, why people think its bad and weird etc...

It has to sound intelligent... Its max of 500 words also.
influence of classical music on modern day music
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Think of something related to your area of study, that will allow you to show them some of you knowledge of the field. In the case of music, maybe do a historic piece of how the creation and use of amplifiers has impacted on playing style. Maybe tapping, pinch harmonics, whammy dives etc.... might have become used since the time of Les Paul and amplified guitars. That is a guess of what to write.

Edit; its only 500 words eh, not sure what to do with that. Maybe discuss how you like to use different scales and play with chord structure by altering ocataves of notes to create a distinct sound? Maybe discuss how a specific artist influenced you; discuss their use of scales, chord progression, maybe unique time signatures, and how their sound made you explore and understand music better.
Last edited by TwistedLogic at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by Anything Goes
It has to sound intelligent... Its max of 500 words also.

500 words?!?!? That's small.

The conflicting views of how rock affects society.
How does peer-to-peer sharing affect the music industry and artists?
What has the development of digitalized recording equipment done to today's music scene?
How does each mode of music affect the timbre and overall feeling of a song? Is too much a bad thing?

Beh, now you have $.06 from me
Quote by powerpiker
influence of classical music on modern day music

I would do this one:

"If you could destroy the current and most common American school system/structure, describe the way in which you would rebuild it, and the reasons for the changes you would make."
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by bandman2000
and you're asking UG, why?

because

<_<

>_>
Quote by carrotcake
Here's one...

Why do people enjoy the music on MTV?

Wow, you dislike mtv, +50 cool points to you...

No seriously, grow up.

The conflicting views of how rock affects society sounds promising?
are you by any chance applying to one of the umasses? cause if you are I'm in the same pickle,

I'd suggest something that lets them get to know you. So maybe something like how you got into music, like what made you first start playing or why you play, some **** like that
Quote by dumpling_dragon
are you by any chance applying to one of the umasses? cause if you are I'm in the same pickle,

I'd suggest something that lets them get to know you. So maybe something like how you got into music, like what made you first start playing or why you play, some **** like that

damn...this kid is good.
I knew it, Im actually supposed to be working on the exact same essay right now for UMASS Dartmouth. It's a bitch
Does facial hair affect personality, or does personality affect Facial hair?

key points: evil people have well groomed, trimmed beards that are neat (hitler, the devil, noel edmonds, saddam hussein etc)

good people have bushy beards that arn't well kept (gandalf, dickens, darwin, god, jesus, moses, john lennon....)

done.
Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09
Stay away you freak....I dont want you spreading your hideous crab population..

METALLICA AT WEMBLEY 08/07/07
Quote by dumpling_dragon
I knew it, Im actually supposed to be working on the exact same essay right now for UMASS Dartmouth. It's a bitch

Yea....
College essays are important because they let you reveal your personality. Learn how brainstorming and planning can help you write your best college essays. An essay is a lot like a military operation. It takes discipline, foresight, research, strategy, and, if done right, ends in total victory.
Dance and music is a good topic to write your college essay. Dancing and music in general have evolved through time. Dancing has changed in relation to music, behavior and time passed. In order to make a good dance essay interesting, you will be required to incorporate all the different genre of dances.
You can include ballet, pop dance, salsa and others. Describe the changes that happened to these form of dances as time passed.The purpose of a general essay is to say something about an issue or a topic in a clear, logical manner so that the reader understands the writer's points and is convinced that they make sense.
500 words is tiny. Half of the topics people are suggesting are subjects for books, not a 500 word essay.

The last music essay I wrote was 5000 words, and I had to keep on narrowing down the subject until I was focusing on one aspect of one piece of music. How about just talking about a song you really like?

Quote by dumpling_dragon

This sounds like a good suggestion. But seeing as he's also applying I bet he's got a better topic up his sleeve
Why?

Or if you're feeling saucey, Why not?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
why not a short insight into globalisation/effects on a certain aspect of the music industry
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Or
How does global warming affects musicians in their recording sessions.
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

If this thread was a female, Eastwinn would be all over this shit.

BECAUSE IT'S FIVE ****ING YEARS OLD.
Quote by carrotcake
Here's one...

Why do people enjoy the music on MTV?

MTV hasn't had music on in years.

EDIT: I apologise, I was misimformed. I thought I read many years ago they'd stopped their last music programme, but it seems it still does.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Sep 3, 2013,
what's with all the boring music questions?

how about "If you could make your dream burger, what would be on it?"
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
TS has already graduated college by now.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
goddamn bots necrobumping threads.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
lol I wonder how this guy is doing now, if he ever got in, or if he did, did he graduate, or if he's living in a box outside 32nd Street, etc.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by 2mins2midnite
have a question like:

I miss 2008. Such an innocent time.
For me the biggest question is whether todays music can actually be called "music." But generally, if you cannot come up with anything, you can always check blogs at websites like customwritingcompany.com . Sometimes there are some pretty good articles.
I think you should write an LSD trip report and how it influenced your choices in life. Id give it a full mark & scholarship.
Quote by arcanom
Mint and chocolate shouldnt be togather.
"Literally Worst Post of 2k16" approved by After Eight Lovers...
Quote by irisisme
For me the biggest question is whether todays music can actually be called "music." But generally, if you cannot come up with anything, you can always check blogs at websites like customwritingcompany.com . Sometimes there are some pretty good articles.

Holy necrobump, Batman.