So I've played guitar for about 2 years, and I always held the pick with the index facing the pick and the thumb facing the pick. But after struggling with trying to alternate pick fast I decided to look up and see if I was doing everything right. I found out I held the pick wrong... so my question is, how long do you think it'll take for me to get used to holding the pick right? Right now its really weird, because my fingers brush the strings when trying to play.
"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
do whatever feels right
certainly keep your options open by practicing this
but don't **** up perfectly good guitar playing cuz the book says so
nahmean?
yeah, there is no real right way of holding a pick. I mean Jimi Hendrix would hold his pick all sorts of ways in order to get the sound he was looking for, other times he would let his fingers brush up against the strings to get a warmer sound. Just do it the way it seems best to you.
I found out after nearly 2 years of playing that I was holding the pick wrong, and it really sucked first, but then it was great because I could play much faster and more accurate.
The main purpose of a TV is to have a place to point your furnatures to
watch zakk wylde and marty friedman. Two extraordinarily fast players with with extraordinarily crappy technique. Would you correct them?
yeah id say it would be easier to alternate pick if u held it differently, but for anything else do what works
Yeah, my main goal for guitar for the near future is to get lightning fast, and I never said my picking was great. When I hold it the old way I would make mistakes and it would be messy. Hopefully by holding the pick this way I can alternate pick fast and smoothly.
"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
Quote by ultimo101
watch zakk wylde and marty friedman. Two extraordinarily fast players with with extraordinarily crappy technique. Would you correct them?

WTF!?!?

since when has marty had a crappy technique? or zakk wylde for that matter? just because you don't like his pinch harmarathons doesn't mean he has crappy technique. i got a chance to watch him wail on big screens during ozzfest and i won't say his technique is flawless but i'd venture to say its d@mn good on his worst days.

as for the original poster, everyone is different. i'd venture to say the longer you play wrong the longer and harder it is to correct it and get back to the level you're at when you realized there was a problem. i played anchored for about 12 years or so and then decided i wanted to play unanchored, you have no idea the frustration i encountered. took me about 4 or 5 months to start back over from scratch to get back up to snuff. gotta say though it was totally worth it.
Quote by guitarist792
So I've played guitar for about 2 years, and I always held the pick with the index facing the pick and the thumb facing the pick.

Sounds like how I used to hold the pick. When you do a downstroke the backedge
of the pick will tend to strike the string first; an upstroke, the front edge. Which
is pretty much backwards -- unless you twist your wrist at an odd angle.

I changed my grip and I can't even imagine playing that way any more. No one
can give you any guarantess of how long it will take you if you realy want to change
it.
I hold my pick like Paul Gilbert, except its parallel with the strings. Works completely fine for me, and I do play technical stuff so.
Do whatever you want. I did like you once, but to me I found that the plectrum slipped out of my hand to easily.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
I changed the way I hold the pick so i could do pinch harmonics. At first it felt weird, but after playing like that literally a few hours each day for a few days, not only had I grown completely used to it, I'd also found out I could play faster and more accurately with less unwanted noise.
it's different for everyone, and depending on how I'm feeling on any given day I may hold the pick completely different than I did the day before. It's all about what feels right and which way you can play the fastest/most accurately.