well just ordered the guitar grimoire book of scales and modes. already have the guitar grimoire exercise book. anyone else try these books out? what are your experience with them?
I actually own all of the grimoir series. I like them alot but you won't get much out of them unless you understand theory somewhat. I didn't when i bought them and i read through it and drooled on myself out of ignorance. I've since learned alot of theory and the books just keep getting more and more useful. They are really more like guitar encyclopedias. For $26 it isn't too bad i'd say.
If you can't feel the music it isn't real.
I have the exercise book and the chord progressions book. I've looked through
the others in bookstores.

Two words: pretty awful.

They use what I think is an underhanded trick to dupe people who don't really
understand how keys work on a guitar to fill out the pages -- They duplicate all
the exact same information, ad naseum, in every key. So basically less than 10%
of those pages actually contain new information (and that's being generous).

Each and every Grimoire book pretty much follows this format.
i got the scales and modes one a few weeks into playing the guitar. it was really useful for explaining them in the first few pages, but after that its kinda useless since any scale/mode you'll ever need you can find for free online
Quote by edg
I have the exercise book and the chord progressions book. I've looked through
the others in bookstores.

Two words: pretty awful.

They use what I think is an underhanded trick to dupe people who don't really
understand how keys work on a guitar to fill out the pages -- They duplicate all
the exact same information, ad naseum, in every key. So basically less than 10%
of those pages actually contain new information (and that's being generous).

Each and every Grimoire book pretty much follows this format.

This is my opinion as well.
Good books but they could of saved some trees and made them pamphlets as has already been said.
the scales & modes book is weak...chords you can learn online for free
but the progression & improv book is priceless

i own all 3 & the DVD's
i like the chord inversions and whatnot book. it has all chord types with fretboard diagrams showing where the notes of the chord are as in root, major 3rd or whatever as well as scales to play over the chord, which i ignore because the scales they show dont even start on the root.

its an ok book. you can get the info for free online, but its good to have a book to just grab sometimes.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
It's not that there isn't some decent information in these books. There is. I'm
just warning there's much better out there.

I made the mistake of just skimming them in a store. When I got home to read them,
I felt ripped off as to how little information was actually there. Its mostly just rote
repetition.

Some of them are better than others (chords & progressions), but they ALL follow
the same format of repetition.

If you want an exercise book get: Sheets of Sound ( = 50 Grimoire books* ),
Speed Machanics for Lead Guitar (= 30 Grimoire books*), or nearly anything else.

* Not scientifically measured.
i already own the speed mechanics book... very very helpful. my playing excelled so much from just that one book. by problem is that i was just looking for a book to help be better understand theory.
I would get Fretboard Mastery by Troy Stetina (same guy who wrote the Speed Mechanics book). Definitely my favorite guitar theory book I've seen, he just approaches it from a much better way than the other books I saw. Keep in mind that music theory is the same for any instrument, so I'm sure there are plenty of good books out there. Fretboard Mastery happens to be written with guitar specifically in mind, which definitely is nice.