So Im kinda new to singing but I have been playing guitar for over a year. Just a quick question my singing voice doesnt really sound good on a standard tuned guitar. Will my voice sound better with different tunings. Say I wanna play a certain song thats in standard if I just put a capo a few frets up and played it the same way would that be legit????

Anyone who knows about tuning as related to singing voice please help me out with some info
^ well yes, it'd be the same song just played in a higher key. sometimes it helps to rearrange for different keys, NORMALLY guys try to sing in lower keys as its usually easier. also practicing singing helps more too (i used to be awful at singing along with a song that was in E, now im pretty decent because i practiced it ALOT) remember, the best things in life are usually those you gotta really work for.
i always tune down half a step because i have trouble with singing the higher notes
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
capo 6th, standard tuning. you can sing an octave shift from your normal range either way for most songs if they have hard notes in E standard.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
Try capoing around 1st or 2nd fret, if not, then you tune down half or full step. I usually practice and work up to it though, if I can't sing a song.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
So if A songs is supposed to be a half step down but I cant sing it where would I put the capo. I mean Its confusing . O and If im tuned half step down and put a capo on the first fret wouldnt that put me in standard???
You're just playing in a different key, the capo has nothing to do with it.

What you're saying is your voice doesn't really fit the key of E very well?

I've got keys I sing better in, some bands stick to one key for nearly every song because the vocalist shines in it
Technically, I believe it's "standard" no matter were you put the capo, since the tuning is really about the interval between strings.

Remember that music is personal. If you can't reach a certain note, you don't always have to. Hit something in the same key that works for your voice. It's all about your interpretation.
Ok thanks guys Im starting to understand Now. Ive been playing around and I think my voice sounds better with a capo on the second fret. So What key is that??? If I keep putting the capo even higher up does that make it easier to sing too?? Where should a beginer start singing in.
^ eh, i dunno if i really buy this train of thought. sing amazing grace in a choir in the deep south but do it in a minor key instead of a major key and see if you don't get lynch mobbed. i say if the standard tuning isn't adequate for your voice then find a tuning that works better for you. i can sing in the key of B minor way better than E minor, but i can still sing in E. i just sound better and more natural in B, i suggest while finding the key you're more suited to still practicing other keys as there may come a day when singing in Db isn't an option.
Quote by PrisonSex
Ok thanks guys Im starting to understand Now. Ive been playing around and I think my voice sounds better with a capo on the second fret. So What key is that??? If I keep putting the capo even higher up does that make it easier to sing too?? Where should a beginer start singing in.

this all depends on HOW you sing. falsetto, baritone etc etc (prolly not baritone lol) if you're capoing the second fret and that is your root note then that would be F# (or Gb depending....)