i'm a beginning guitarist that so far only has experience with 2-3 chord songs where songs are tabbed with chord changes above the words of the song. i'm finding a lot of tabs to songs i want to play in this setup but can't quite figure out what i'm looking at exactly:

C                        Am
e|------------------------|------------------------|
B|--1-1---1-1---1-1---1-1-|--1-1---1-1---1-1---1-1-|
G|--0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0-|--2-2---2-2---2-2---2-2-|
D|------2-----------------|------2-----------------|
A|3-----------3-----2-----|0-----------0-----------|
E|------------------------|------------------0-----|

can anyone dumb this down to the simplest of terms for me?
use hand
form a C chord on the guitar
play notes as instructed
and thats as simple as i can think to do it
the notes played that measure is the C chord. its just helping you out you can ignore it if you want to.
lol the A means the A string.. the 3 means the 3rd fret..
Now with your finger hold the string down against the wood stuff!
Now hit the string and tada!
Repeat with every "number" until it sounds like something.
in what order am i supposed to play exactly? using the example above, play B in C chord into AM chord back into C chord playing G back into AM chord? also do the 0's mean no fret used at all? i know these questions are retarded but i just picked up a guitar 2 days ago, bear with me please.
i'm still really confused here. can no one just break all of this down for me to the simplest possible terms? i still have no idea in what order i'm supposed to play this.
Quote by emeralds

C                        Am
e|------------------------|------------------------|
B|--1-1---1-1---1-1---1-1-|--1-1---1-1---1-1---1-1-|
G|--0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0-|--2-2---2-2---2-2---2-2-|
D|------2-----------------|------2-----------------|
A|3-----------3-----2-----|0-----------0-----------|
E|------------------------|------------------0-----|

can anyone dumb this down to the simplest of terms for me?

notice something?

there's a pattern going on, the only thing that changes in both measures is the bass note

i'd recommend fingerpicking this, in the first measure play all the 3s and 2s using your thumb, and use your index finger for all the 0s, and middle for all the 1s

[this is how you would finger pick it]
ie. in the beginning play the 3rd fret of the a string with your thumb, THEN play 0 and 1 using your index and middle finger simultaneously (at the same time), play the 2nd fret of the D string, THEN play 0 and 1 using your index and middle finger simultaneously (at the same time), etc.

use your index finger to play the first fret, keep it planted, don't remove it
since there's no zero fret, you dont have to play anything but the open g string
as for the 3s, use your ring finger, and when it switches to 2s, use your middle finger
this might be a little awkward at first, but you'll soon see how it is more efficient than
just using one finger

when two notes are directly above or below each other in tabs or in standard music notation for that matter, they're meant to be played together

hope this gets you on the right track

note that these are just suggestions, there are other ways of playing this piece, but, i think this is the simplest way
Last edited by silvadolla at Jan 30, 2008,
Step 1:
Make a C chord and hold it. (if you don't know what that is you will have to look it up.)
Step 2:
pick the a string
Step 3:
Strum the B and G strings 2 times
Step 4:
Pick the D string

From there I think you get the picture. You have to listen to the song to figure out the rythm.
Quote by Jonan_
Step 1:
Make a C chord and hold it. (if you don't know what that is you will have to look it up.)
Step 2:
pick the a string
Step 3:
Strum the B and G strings 2 times
Step 4:
Pick the D string

From there I think you get the picture. You have to listen to the song to figure out the rythm.

well he could hold the c chord, but he would have to shift fingers at the 4th bass note, b
Quote by silvadolla
well he could hold the c chord, but he would have to shift fingers at the 4th bass note, b

+1

Good call. I didn't look past the few steps that I typed out.