Well a m8 of mine wants to learn an instrument and he's decided on bass... and he's alsi asked me to find him a bass and i've not got a clue! He's also told me a budget of £150... which to me sounds a bit falling short... Well guys! all shout outs welcome!!!
i play a fender squire.... pretty good starting bass
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
yehhh.... i think im gonna have to tell him to stretch his budget
How about an Ibanez GSR200? It's falls into that price guide maybe give or take 10 pounds, but your friend will have to also get an amp.
rondomusic.com

Alder bodies(Fender), amazing materials. Love SX stuff. Almost all SX tuners need to be swapped.. but if he's just starting out he wont care.

Play one next to a Squire and your jaw will drop. Waaaay better than Squire, and usually costs even less. I have an all black Jazz bass on it's way right now, arriving the 5th. Alder body, mother of pearl Scorpion inlays. It's coming with a gig bag and a strap. $120. Is it a Fender? No. But it annihilates Squier, and it's perfect for the beginner-intermediate like me, and your friend.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Link.JohnIrving at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by l2wis
yehhh.... i think im gonna have to tell him to stretch his budget

I think a Squire vintage modified jazz bass Is a good begginner and it not even 300 US dollars which i think is under 150 pounds.A rockbass streamer is good too but i think its a little over the budget.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I'd suggest Peavey Milestone, jazz style pickups meaning versatility, nice neck, and decent construction, if not the greatest materials, and around about the £100-£120 tops mark for a new one....pretty much any bass in the starter section of the FAQ would be good though...my mate has the Washburn and that plays a dream, can't explain why, but me and my friends seem to have been really lucky with our cheapo instruments,all of them have held up well and play pretty good

Quote by c3powil
I think a Squire vintage modified jazz bass Is a good begginner and it not even 300 US dollars which i think is under 150 pounds.A rockbass streamer is good too but i think its a little over the budget.

but we in the UK get screwed over for music prices....it's more like £180-£200

sucks....still,may be moving to America for a year, may pick up some equipment...anyone know what the laws are like for that,in terms of bringing equipment back to England that's been purchased in America???

PS-not attempting to Hi-Jack thread, just curious
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I recommend read the FAQ.

Plenty of starter basses and bass amps in there.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by meh17

I'm with you on the Ibanez one, but the first one you posted is a guitar pack. Maybe you pasted the wrong link?

But yeah, I'd recommend the Ibanez GSR200 or 190, and the lower-end Yamaha models.
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
I'm with you on the Ibanez one, but the first one you posted is a guitar pack. Maybe you pasted the wrong link?

But yeah, I'd recommend the Ibanez GSR200 or 190, and the lower-end Yamaha models.

Yeah, he said his mate wanted to start playing so reckoned he'd need an amp etc.
Quote by meh17
Yeah, he said his mate wanted to start playing so reckoned he'd need an amp etc.

Yeah I understand, but the top link you gave is an electric guitar pack. His mate's after a bass, and this is the bass forum
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Yeah I understand, but the top link you gave is an electric guitar pack. His mate's after a bass, and this is the bass forum

Eek, my bad
the epiphone embassy range are great i play the 5-string model and that sounds and feels great
Quote by Serideth
How about an Ibanez GSR200? It's falls into that price guide maybe give or take 10 pounds, but your friend will have to also get an amp.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Ibanez, and the great thing is that even their cheapest stuff is fantastic. Err, for cheap stuff.

You could go a little bit more than the GSR and get you a low-end Soundgear. Cheapest one I see is about $279 US; I'm afraid I'm not up to my price of the pound, but if this is a commitment, I'm sure your friend can scrape some cash from somewhere.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.