I first got the idea when I looked at the Tele once used by my guitar hero, the late Terry Kath. In his telecaster, he replaced the neck pickup with a Gibson Humbucker. His tele also had some other mods, but the pickup mod interests me the most. I found a site depicting some replications of it here:

http://www.geocities.com/pdga14567/terrykath.html

That got me thinking about adopting that idea with one of the newer Fender Blackout Telecasters with three pickups:

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0135032306

I thought that it would be cool to follow suit and replace the neck pickup with a Gibson 57 humbucker:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-57-Classic-Plus-Pickup?sku=306012

For the middle and bridge position, replace the remaining two singles with a pair of Noiseless Vintage Tele pickups:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Vintage-Noiseless-Tele-Pickup-Set?sku=301635

It seems like this would give a wide variety of sounds. Granted, the project would definitely go over $1k, so not gonna happen while I'm still in college. Even so, it's just an idea at this point. Any thoughts? Flames?
Last edited by Breakfast_Rock at Jan 29, 2008,
Go all out! Make a neck with ebony fretboard, custom inlays, figured maple top, etc.
It'll be sick man, I look forward to seeing this!
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
You guys may end up waiting a few years; I gotta graduate from college and get a job

In the meantime, what would you guys suggest about the switching?
5- way for the pickups.
Then a master vol, tone standard tele deal.
I don't think much of those 6-position 4-post deals, just a 5-way will get you farther than you think.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Why buy a brand new guitar just to butcher it? No use buying a brand new guitar with a whole heap of parts you're just going to switch anyway..

Buy a used MIM off eBay and mod that, or even more cost effective, just buy all the parts seperately and assemble it yourself.

Sounds like a cool idea though, HBs in the neck sound quite nice. And yeah I would just go with a regular 5way switch.
Sounds like a cool project. But I wouldn't buy a new guitar to do it, I like to use el cheapos to mod...if it screws up I'm not out lotsa bucks.

I have a humbucker floating around here I've been seriously thinking about plugging into a tele copy I use a lot for slide, should be an improvement over the crummy single coil it has now...If it were a good single coil, or even decent I'd leave it, but it's kinda weak and wimpy. And it's in the neck position, so same scenario, but I haven't made up my mind if I want to do it yet.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
You guys have some good points. First of all, maybe it's not a good idea to go modding a brand new axe. On the other end, I don't want to put expensive pickups into some really cheap guitar body. That being said, I still like the pickup combo and would like to go for a fender feel.

Ideally, this would be a great project to do on a barebones guitar body and build it from the ground up. That being said, I have neither the tools nor the know-how to go about woodworking or wiring a guitar. Would custom shops at guitar stores be a good option? How much does labor cost?

FYI - yes, I am a complete noob to guitar modding.
Last edited by Breakfast_Rock at Jan 30, 2008,
The actual wood working can be tough, but the wiring is fairly straight forward. There's not much you can screw up.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Quote by andrew7667
The actual wood working can be tough, but the wiring is fairly straight forward. There's not much you can screw up.

Meh, I don't have soldering equipment. Also, a project like this would require enlarging the pickup slot in the neck area and possibly routing in one at the middle position, unless it's a strat body.
That got me thinking, is the wood decent in a Squire strat that it would be an appropriate body? That would be assuming that I replace all the wiring, swap in the already proposed pickups, replace the tuners and possibly the bridge? I'm thinking a fixed bridge.

Maybe a squire would be a bit too cheap, but the more I think about it, the better suited this idea seems for a strat-ish body.
Last edited by Breakfast_Rock at Jan 30, 2008,