I have around $700 bucks for a new amp. I play a lot of styles. In my band I play metalcore, but I need a good clean to. I need something with a good rhythm sound for play stuff at my church. Can anyone recommend anything?
Peavey Valveking 2x12

or, used Peavey 5150/6505

/thread
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Velvekings have a pretty bad reliability record just from what I've seen around here. Peavey 5150 is alright for cleans, so if you don't use it much, it will work. A Marshall JCM2000TSL combo used may work, but you may also need to pay a bit more. A B-52 and a good over drive pedal is an option to check out as well.
I already had a Valveking 212 and, it blew up. I really liked it too.

I have heard that the B-52 products have problems overheating. Is this true?

Don't really care for the Marshall sound too much. I don't really like British voiced amps.
With $700, you're unlikely to get quality cleans and uber high gain out of the same amp. I'd go for a solid all around amp, and get a pedal for your heavier stuff. Something like a Traynor YCV 40 or a Peavey Classic 30/50 would probably be a good start. If you can find a second hand Mesa F series amp, you'd probably be very happy, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
From what I have heard the new B-52s have solved the overheating problem, but I don't know how try that is.

haha still not good quality still does what they failed to fix and I seriously doubt that the VK blew up totally
I just bought a JCM 800 combo 1x12 for exactly $700 off Ebay, and I know I love the gain I get from this old tube amp. I have yet to try the cleans because I still need to buy a DARN FOOTSWITCH, but I've heard they are decent. Plus it's freakin loud for it's size.

But then again I'm basically a noobie when it comes to guitar. So take what I said for what it's worth...
Several caps blew and, the PCB got burnt. Took it to a repair shop and, they said it was unable to be fixed.
Quote by slatsmania
With $700, you're unlikely to get quality cleans and uber high gain out of the same amp.
Thats why I recommended a spider valve
Quote by 82Camaro355
Several caps blew and, the PCB got burnt. Took it to a repair shop and, they said it was unable to be fixed.

if you don't clean dust off yes, that can happen to almost any amp may have pushed them to hard also, often guitar shops tell you that when they don't feel like fixing things
I kept it pretty clean. I just gigged on it several times a week and, practiced a lot on it.
Metalcore, and church? Used 5150 II or 6505+, a chorus pedal, and a mild OD. All the gain you want, and a solid clean for everything else. Use the OD on the clean channel for rythem, use the chorus on the clean channel (with a mild setting) for a more lively clean, and crank the preamp gain for brootalz.
This is just me, but i would get a peavey Classic 30 which are 399 right now at a GC near you if you can still find them (same for Classic 50 if you want more watt), then get boss gt-8 for $300 at a near GC (good for varriety of tones) or get single pedals that you use, like a wah, OD, chorus...etc (whatever your need).

This is just my oppinion, because 30 watts is enough for a church... unless its a really really big church, still then you can use the PA on your church.

Hope this help
Quote by 82Camaro355
I kept it pretty clean. I just gigged on it several times a week and, practiced a lot on it.

strange, you warmed amp up first for 8minutes first right??? One would hope so
but if you used it that much it can eventually break, but if you treat the amp properly and not play right after turning it on it should be okay. alot of my friends gig and play theres alot, but they have changed their tubes in their VK's
Quote by xWhitechapelx
strange, you warmed amp up first for 8minutes first right??? One would hope so
but if you used it that much it can eventually break, but if you treat the amp properly and not play right after turning it on it should be okay. alot of my friends gig and play theres alot, but they have changed their tubes in their VK's

8 minutes? are you joking? you dont need anything more than a minute really.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
I usually would just let it warm up for as long as it took me to pick up my guitar and tune it. Should have been plenty of time.

One thing I did not mention is that I have to buy it new. I know going used is alright but, right now I can't and, I need an amp before Saturday.
Quote by 82Camaro355
I usually would just let it warm up for as long as it took me to pick up my guitar and tune it. Should have been plenty of time.

One thing I did not mention is that I have to buy it new. I know going used is alright but, right now I can't and, I need an amp before Saturday.

Borrow an amp for Sunday, don't rush into a hastey purchase. Really. $700 is a real chunk of change.
I have tried to find someone to borrow an amp from and, no one I know plays except the other guitarist in my band.
First off, why can you NOT buy used? I have seen a JCM2000 TSL122 for $650 before. Used amps are great.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by igotabcrich32
8 minutes? are you joking? you dont need anything more than a minute really.

some manuals say at least 5, 8 makes them sound better
For the person who said Spider Valve, I would agree with that except they are Made in China, and the Spider IIIs don't have a great track record in terms of build quality, and I've heard of a few issues with the Spider Valves being DOA.
Quote by xWhitechapelx

Seriously, 1 is fine.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by Miggy01
Seriously, 1 is fine.

I always thought on mine it sounded better the more it warmed up
Quote by xWhitechapelx

I don't see how. The tubes get just as hot when the amp is on standby as they do when the amp is on all the way. It shouldn't take longer than 2 minutes under any circumstances for tubes to be not warmed up enough.

It's not a big deal, as soon as you get the head and cab somewhere, cut it on and put it on standby. By the time you're done hooking up cables, footswitches, tuning, and checking the switches, it should have been on standby at least 2 minutes.

Anyway...

I highly recommend the Mesa F series for what you're looking for. I used one for metal and church use for probably 2 years. Similar cleans to a Mark IV, really full, and the metal channel is very usable. For a tube amp, this thing takes pedals very well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio