Page 1 of 5
Definately a band that hasnt been discussed a lot here, they are incredible. The jamming they do and the weaving of Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger are absolutely incredible. For anyone who hasnt heard them, go pick up Live at the Murat or Anchor Drops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_1ZAHtazNw

Discuss
Hell yeah!! chi-town jam band ftw. They are a great band, they are kind of like the new dead/phish but with a lot more progressive influences and they are a little heavier.

speaking of umphrey's, my AP drawing teacher was just telliong us that her son was offered a spot to play guitar with them, but he didnt do it because he wouldnt have made enough to pay back his college loans i guess.
Quote by Ramblin'_Man
Hell yeah!! chi-town jam band ftw. They are a great band, they are kind of like the new dead/phish but with a lot more progressive influences and they are a little heavier.

speaking of umphrey's, my AP drawing teacher was just telliong us that her son was offered a spot to play guitar with them, but he didnt do it because he wouldnt have made enough to pay back his college loans i guess.

O my god, I would kill to be able to play with them, he would have easily made enough money for his college loans too. But the Jake and Brendan duo is still incredible
well i guess he would only have gotten around 40k a year and he went to medical school, but i guess he started his own band and has started gigging, but i dont really know anything other than that. But whats everyone's favorite Umphrey's cd/song?
I like Live at the Murat, my favorite song is probably Glory or Nothing Too Fancy from Live at the Murat
Umphrey's love!

I've got Local Band Does OK, it's great but live shows are really where it's at. Nachos may be one of my favorite songs... too bad it's been retired, also Jajunk is sweet.

I love the eclecticism of their music. I went to a show where they played prog rock, reggae, electronica, metal, and country/bluegrass all in just one set, plus they did a sick Meeting in the Aisle.
they kick ass, ive seen them live once and i still have the tribute to spinal shaft riff stuck in my head!!!
wow. i just started listening to these guys a few weeks ago, and they are fan-****ing-tastic. i've downloaded all their podcasts (which you all should do!) and love it.

hopefully i will be going to one of their shows in april!
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group
one of the best bands still around today.

While I was banned some guy in the chili peppers thread was like MAN RHCP ARE THE BEST IMPROV BAND EVER, SHOW ME SOMEONE BETTER

i so badly wanted to link that guy to this band

anybody that looks at this topic HAS to cheak this band out.

its absolutly retarded that the foo fighters, pearl jam, stp, incubus, have huge topics but this band doesnt even have a full page
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Oct 4, 2008,
I missed these guys at Bonnaroo but hopefully I'll see these guys soon.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
I saw them live for the first time last year. I had no idea who they were and they blew my mind. Awesome musicians, best jam band ive ever heard
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
I saw them live for the first time last year. I had no idea who they were and they blew my mind. Awesome musicians, best jam band ive ever heard

Indeed awesome. I think Phish will still remain my Favourite jam band though, this band sounds great and all, but Trey Anastasio's guitarplaying just blows me away. It's for me personally the perfect mix of influences. A very nice combination of speed and melody. But that's another thread.
Not saying trey isnt good, hes definantly a great guitarist. One of my favourites.. the guy in UM is just more technical, faster, and probably more diverse. I dont care for the vocals in umphreys mcgee, and i love the vocals in phish
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Not saying trey isnt good, hes definantly a great guitarist. One of my favourites.. the guy in UM is just more technical, faster, and probably more diverse. I dont care for the vocals in umphreys mcgee, and i love the vocals in phish

Both guitarists have good chops, but I just like Trey melodies better.

On vocals: It seems like Umphrey's McGee just thought: hey, why don't we add some vocals every now and then for a change? I like the fact there a few though, as their musical qualities are superior to their vocal qualities.
I bought Safety In Numbers and The Bottom Half today. Awesome music. I'm officially a big fan of them now.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
yay a umphrey's thread. they are awsome i have seen them in concert twice. they put of a hella good show brendan and jake are just plain dirty; two very underated guitarist. they are great jam guitarist with a more speed/technical flair tothem but still keeping it the spectrum of jam to keep it interesting. lol the 2nd time i seen them jake did eruption for a guitari break.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq6oquOOzvs
this was the only video i could find of him doing eruption it seems to lag a little though.

i have there whole discovery its all very good. ancohr drops and local band does ok are probly my two favorite studio albums by them. you can never go wrong with a getting a live show of a tapers website.
I'm amazing at their bassist ability to lock in with the drummer and play what seems like groove lines and fills at the same time.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by Beakwithteeth
I love this band but I hate Eruption.

oh yea me too but it was just to show how jake is a different kind of breed of jam guitarist
hes pretty insane

Umphreys Mcgee's covers are insane. They cover songs and make them more badass than the original

their pink floyd covers are sick
Anyone else here think that Brendan is perhaps even a better guitarist than Jake? It's pretty much a pointless question, because they are best when playing together, but I've lately been preferring Brendan's playing to Jake's.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
I need some of this band's work. I have been sidetracked by trying to get a respectable bluegrass collection (getting some classic albums ya know) and I have neglected my beloved jam bands.

yes you do they are a great band

my two favorite albums by them are
archor drops
and
local band does ok

saftey in numbers is a great album too
If you use iTunes, I would get some of their CompendiUM albums. Also get Live at the Murat, it's a fantastic album.

EDIT:
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
No, definantly not

I don't know Brendan gives Jake a good run for his money in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfwSTBLoVgk
Last edited by ledhed68 at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by ledhed68
Anyone else here think that Brendan is perhaps even a better guitarist than Jake? It's pretty much a pointless question, because they are best when playing together, but I've lately been preferring Brendan's playing to Jake's.

Jake's definitely got more technical ability, but Brendan's solos just have so much soul to them. There's a good example at this link. Check out All In Time (cont.) at around 2:30.
http://www.iclips.net/content.php?content_id=1938
well from what ive heard on the albums and in concert i like jake more in the studio for his nice and quick chops and brenden is better live casue he has well as you you put it soul and his licks are like liquid.

but ethier way i couldn't imange seeing umphrey's with one of them missing. they are both very very underrated in my opinion.
So, the new Umphrey's album is coming out January 20th, anyone pre-ordering?
Quote by ledhed68
So, the new Umphrey's album is coming out January 20th, anyone pre-ordering?

Yeah I got the deluxe thing for $50. With everything that it comes with it's totally worth it. They are selling pretty fast too, there are only 500 and at least half have already been sold.
Meh, they're both creative guitarists. Both great musicians.. theres really no point in arguing whos better. I really dont like getting in debates about which guitarist plays with more soul and emotion, its really all subjective.. you might like brendens style better, i think jake obviously outdoes him technique wise.

lol @ the lack of attention to this thread, only 2 pages..the best bands on the modern rock page nobody talks about, if only more people realized how much more amazing Umpreys and Phish are than all these other shit bands on the modern rock page
yea the newer jam bands are the only good threads in the modern rock page though phish has had a up rise in conversation lately . which is cool but more people should know of them jam bands are awsome no other genre compares to it.
progressive rock compares to jam, they're both equally as cool.. most great prog rock bands like floyd or crimson wrote most their songs in jam anyways though
I don't like using the term "jam band" because it really doesn't define a style of music. When people who are unfamiliar with jam music hear of a band that is labeled with that term, they may often think of stoned hippies noodling on their guitar. Whenever I try to introduce Umphrey's to people, I try to describe them as a progressive rock group that has a heavy focus on improvisation.
oh yea i hear you im also not much of a fan of the notion that that they are all hippies. but yea when i introduce a jam style band i try to describe more of there style than just calling them a jam band.
Quote by Shpongled
Yeah I got the deluxe thing for $50. With everything that it comes with it's totally worth it. They are selling pretty fast too, there are only 500 and at least half have already been sold.

what comes with it?

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

Quote by soundgarden19
what comes with it?

"The deluxe package includes: a copy of Mantis on CD, a copy of Mantis on 180g vinyl, a DVD that includes the Umphrey's McGee 10th Anniversary Retrospective and other unreleased videos, a Mantis poster, and some other treats from the Umphrey's HQ, all in a hand-signed Mantis box set. Not all package contents will be the same, and in each you will find some personal additions from the band members themselves. Ordering your deluxe package will give you access to all of the unlocked pre-order bonus content, and as with the standard pre-order package you will also receive the MP3 of the album on January 20th and access to the post-release PUSH content."

The "pre-order bonus content" is going to be determined by how many preorders they get. The more pre-orders made, the more bonus content is given. If you can't afford the deluxe package, $20 will get you the cd, mp3s, and bonus pre-order content. This page will tell you everything you need to know.
http://www.umphreys.com/mantis/
Dude kick ass, I'd pay atleast 100 bucks for that, I must get $50 somehow.

Quote by denizenz

Quote by soundgarden19
Dude kick ass, I'd pay atleast 100 bucks for that, I must get $50 somehow.

Well I'd jump on it, like I said earlier at least half of the 500 have already been sold. It will undoubtedly sell out in a short matter of time.
Page 1 of 5