Alright guys. I have an Epiphone Standard LP and a Crate V16. I like the sound I am getting, but lately my sound has been a little muddy, especially with my neck pickup. I have EQed all sorts of settings and I can't get rid of that mud. I was thinking the low quality stock Epi pickups are to blame.

Now I can do 1 of two things. I could get new pickups or I could save up and look for a nicer guitar. I like my guitar but the neck is a little thick for my smaller hands.

So I was wondering what I should do. The pickups I was thinking about are duncans. A '59 at the neck and either a SH-11 or SH-14. I play blues, classic rock, and some heavier stuff, but Metallica is the heaviest I get.

ANy help and suggestions would be great. Thanks!
a gibson sg?
the neck is quite thin cause i also have smallish hands...
the sg has no mud
Emgs Nigga
Guitars: Dean 79 series V)
Jackson emg-hz's

Amps: crate v50 piece of broken shit.
Peavey 5150 combo. FORSALE/TRADE

Effects: Boss ge-7, Ds-1, Ph-3, ds-2

Listen to Mastodon.
I say get a Duncan jazz for your neck, and maybe a Duncan Distortion or a PAF Pro for the bridge. Nice amp btw, im thinking of getting one.
Quote by qotsa1998
I say get a Duncan jazz for your neck, and maybe a Duncan Distortion or a PAF Pro for the bridge. Nice amp btw, im thinking of getting one.

Thanks. I love the amp, so I know i dont need a new one because I play my strat through it and it sounds great. It's just the Epi that has that muddy sound.

Btw if you get that amp, get a used one or at least make it is MIA because new ones are made in vietnam and are prone to scratchy pots and bad reliability.
Quote by firebreath07
Better yet: a new amp!

Nope. This problem is in the pups. The V16 is mud free, even with gallons of mids and lows.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Nope. This problem is in the pups. The V16 is mud free, even with gallons of mids and lows.

That is what I figured.

Does anybody know if Rockfield pickups are good? I like that they are only $50 per pickup and seem to get good reviews. I'll have to try out a higher end BC Rich at GC sometime to find if they are good. In the meantime, can anyone comment on Rockfield pickups?
Some of the Michael Kellys that I've played have had Rockfield pickups in them, and I liked them all.

It may have had something to do with how the MK guitars have direct-mounted pickups, though.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Get pickups. I can't tell you which ones to get. I have dirty fingers, but they would probably be too high output for you. Wait, i know a pair you can get. The guy that I bought my Mesa from is selling some pickups, here is his listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-2-Humbucker-Pickups-and-Volume-Tone-Nob_W0QQitemZ150210732871QQihZ005QQcategoryZ41429QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You could bid on these. Gibson pickups are much better than Epi.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Eh... you can usually get a lot better pickups than Gibsons for a lot cheaper.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Eh... you can usually get a lot better pickups than Gibsons for a lot cheaper.

You have no idea what the winning bid will be for this auction, so how can you make that statment. What if he can win with $50?
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
You have no idea what the winning bid will be for this auction, so how can you make that statment. What if he can win with $50?

That would be great! I don't think it would go for any lower than $100 though. Still a good deal.

How do those stock Gibsons compare to Rockfields. I can get new Rockfields for $100 so if they sound better I'll probably just go for them.
Dimarzio PAF in the neck

And mabye a Dimarzio Fred in the bridge

Or the Seymour ducan hot-rodded humbucker set would work perfectly
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by zoomzilla

I'm just running under the assumption that people will overpay for anything with the word "Gibson" on it .

www.highorderpickups.com can get you fully customized pickup for around $70.
Quote by utsapp89
Yeah, i had to get the head used, and im using my friends avatar cab atm untill my vader comes, its definitly worth everypenny, i had to sell some other stuff since i found the kramer explorer but overall it was worth it

and i got a sick MG10, once i save up and get some basic recording stuff ill get some clips of my v3 + my mg
Niceeee. I wish i could fork ove a grand for an amp, but I need a car and as much as I love guitar gear I need a car really bad.

Can't wait for clips. All the youtube videos are just playing heavy metal and not fully getting the versatility of the amp in there. Congrats!
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Niceeee. I wish i could fork ove a grand for an amp, but I need a car and as much as I love guitar gear I need a car really bad.

Can't wait for clips. All the youtube videos are just playing heavy metal and not fully getting the versatility of the amp in there. Congrats!

Yeah i know, thats why i was hesitent to get it but after some time with it i HAD to get it, its loads better then my 5150, how did i think that was "tone"?
Quote by forsaknazrael
I skipped every post cause I'm awesome.

The SH-1 and SH-14 combo would be awesome for classic rock and hard rock. The SH-11 might be too mooshy in your guitar, in the bridge.

Alright thanks. I'll try to find some guitars with those pups in them to try 'em out.

Off to bed. Feel free to add some more advice.
I should record mine too, but sadly I have the recording skills of a budgerigar...

I second the Custom 5 for the bridge, 59 or Pearly Gates for the neck. I wouldn't touch the distortion with someone else's 10 foot bargepole in this instance.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well I have the "Overpriced" Gibson dirty fingers. Of course I paid half price, so they were not that overpriced. They are really high output, so they are not for everyone.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah