I have a very quiet hiss coming from my 5150, because i think i need to get my power amp tubes replaced. I can't afford that, so i've just been trying to ignore it, however in my recordings, it seems to stick out like a sore thumb. It isn't feedback, and the noise gate doesn't help any. It is in the background of everything that i record. Is there any way that i can get my Line 6 TonePort to "ignore" this hiss, or anything to that effect? I'm recording through a Shure SM57 also by the way.
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Do you sit in-front on your computer monitor or a tv? Because, some pick ups, pick up the static that comes from them.
Gear:

Ibanez GSZ120

Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic

Roland Cube 60

Roland Micro-Cube
How long have you had the amp? And has the hiss been there all that time, or have you only just become aware of it?

Because inevitably, all high-power tube amps make a fair deal of background noise. 50/60Hz hum or whatever it's called.
Quote by moody07747
its 60Hz

you could use Gearbox's Noise removal feature or even a gate but other than that, its hard to remove noise without changing the sound of the audio most of the time.

Where you're from, yes. In the UK it's 50Hz. Different fuses in our countries, different plug types too and all sorts.

My point by the "or whatever it's called" was that many people call it 50/60Hz cycle hum, 50/60Hz background noise etc.

You could try a filter in the recording program (does the Toneport support plugins?) targeting between 50 and 60 Hz...experiment to see which gives best results.

It's because of the grounding or something like that...signal noise is a by-product for the amp to legally pass safety regulations.
i agree with the one guy...its the computer monitor or cell phone.

get a friend to hit record for you and then buy a long cord so you can shred in the bathroom. best place to record
Quote by TheDevianceIsMe
i agree with the one guy...its the computer monitor or cell phone.

get a friend to hit record for you and then buy a long cord so you can shred in the bathroom. best place to record

nope, i've turned off my moniter and all my lights and stood across the room. the buzzing remains consistant
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Does the buzzing occur all the time? Yes/No

Has it always been present? Yes/No

If so, has it's intensity increased over time or has it become more audible? Yes/No.

I was trying to help you know, you could do worse than answering the questions
Quote by last_biscuit
Does the buzzing occur all the time? Yes/No

Has it always been present? Yes/No

If so, has it's intensity increased over time or has it become more audible? Yes/No.

I was trying to help you know, you could do worse than answering the questions

1. Yes, it only goes away when i put my amp into hibernate or turn it off. It also is directly proportional to my amps post gain, or volume.

2. Yes, since i got it.

3. No, it has always been this same intensity.
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
You'll be hard pressed to find a high gain amp that doesn't have any hiss or background noise.
Quote by MrPillow
You'll be hard pressed to find a high gain amp that doesn't have any hiss or background noise.

would a noise gate such as an ISP Decimator fix that or help it?
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by MrPillow
It should.

ok thanks, i'll check it out
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Yeah, the 5150's are noisy amps no matter where you put them. What you can do is just edit out the parts of the guitar part that you are not playing during (where the noise will be the most noticeable), which can sometimes be more desirable than using a noise gate, as the opening and closing of a noise gate is not instantaneous and editing is more exacting.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
Yeah, the 5150's are noisy amps no matter where you put them. What you can do is just edit out the parts of the guitar part that you are not playing during (where the noise will be the most noticeable), which can sometimes be more desirable than using a noise gate, as the opening and closing of a noise gate is not instantaneous and editing is more exacting.

no it's still there even when i'm playing, it's ALWAYS in the backround. Only on the clean channel though.
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by MrPillow
His point was your playing will make the hiss less noticable

well is there any way to eliminate it? a tube change?
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Well are your tubes old? If so it is probably time for a tube change, which will not only improve your tone, but can also reduce hit.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
Well are your tubes old? If so it is probably time for a tube change, which will not only improve your tone, but can also reduce hit.

my tubes probably have about 60-80 hours on them. The hiss only occurs on the clean channel also, does that mean anything?
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ