So I’m continuing on my amp search, and have some new questions.

Been looking for a quality 30 watt tube amp for $1000-1500. Leaning toward 1x combos good for small gig play and recording. I play an ’83 roadstarII with super 58s.

So I’ve been looking the mainstream classic combos, AC30, twin reverb, some marshals, and mostly I felt like, yeah this is a good amp, but it’s not quite hitting the tone I’m looking for. I’m looking for an amp that thrives on the edge of crunchy but can push gain sounds to as divers as BRMC, to Jack White, to Silversun Pickups. I was bordering on going with an ac30 and settling on the OD I can get through pedals.

Well I Finally got to play a Rockerverb 50 head the other day and really dug the sound. Felt like it really hit the gain stages through dirty that I’m looking for. Now it’s a bit outside my pricerange, and it’s impossible to find used orange amps where I live. But I’m going to play a rocker 30 here soon which is supposed to be similar to the rk50 I think(?), and also more in my price range.

So….it all sounds great yeah, but I worry I might be riding on some of the hype and I’m going to go play this rocker 30, love the sound, and buy it on the spot, without thinking about what comes after the honeymoon. So before I do that, I was hoping to get some good constructive negative feedback about the rocker 30s from people who have owned/played them, liked the sound, but still disliked X or Y about the amp. That way maybe I can go in there and judge the amp and the sound more critically.

My own random reservations:
- The lack of fx loop bothers me, but only slightly. I’d like to be able to run a delay pedal occasionally, and I’m tentative about accepting what seems like a lack of functionality in a $1k-plus amp.

- Ditto for the reverb, though truth be told, I’m trying to move away from using reverb.

- Will the clean cut through a mix when it needs to? Don’t get me wrong, I liked the clean sound of the rv50 on its own, but I could see what people say about it being a bit dull and there’s no eq to futz with if it came down to it.

- And honestly the fact that everyone and their mom seems to be all about orange these days turned me off a bit. But having played one now, I think praise might be warranted, just a little overhyped and overpriced. Oh well, everything’s a fad I guess, just gotta listen to the ears.

Another long post, but you guys always want the details, so I figure I’ll get it out of the way. Thanks for all the comments so far.

-riv
lol, slats. I'm starting to crawl out of my whole--I think I was overreacting a bit there.

for the advice, though.

I would have to say---defintely look around, and keep looking.

Negative sides:
-No FX loop, but it really depends what you want out of your effects
-No reverb
-Can get a tad noisy

I think the last one's my fault, actually. Putting your gain to full and kicking in the OD on volume 3 isn't such a great idea.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Don't buy the orange rocker 30. There you go, you wanted us to convince you.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Well the rocker 30 isnt as high gain as the Rockerverb 50, uses different tube (EL34s instead of 6L6s), is class A (as opposed to the Rockerverbs class AB), doesn't have an effects loop and doesn't have reverb. So dont think just because you liked the Rockerverb 50 means you'll like the Rocker 30. It is a good amp, but if you're fussy enough not to like high end fenders and AC30's your likely to have a particular tone in mind (which is good. but can be expensive) and they are different amps. Similar, but different.
Quote by slatsmania
You'll want to read thru this thread.

Yeah, actually reading that thread was what made me think that maybe there's more to it than what I can hear in the sound room at the store.

Quote by s.r.v.
if you want an effects loop for your Rocker 30......
http://www.fjamods.com/Orange.html

Anyone ever even try these mods? ^ On any amp?
Seems pricey.
I would do it...

It's just the shipping costs that scare me.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
well i guess you can go pay FJA $300+ to get ur windsor modded lol.

i wanna try haha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
So I was lurking around the orange forum and found someone who actually did the mod!

He said it slightly changed the tone (in a good way) and he can now use his whole pedalboard with his rig.

I might have to try this!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
So I was lurking around the orange forum and found someone who actually did the mod!

He said it slightly changed the tone (in a good way) and he can now use his whole pedalboard with his rig.

I might have to try this!

Yeah I read that too. It pretty much made me decide on the Rocker 30 instead of the RV50.

My ears are already damaged pretty badly, so going deaf by 23 isn't on my list of things to do in life
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by guitardude11
orange is for girls. there, dont buy it unless you are a girl.

That's just so completely retarded.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Well being a Rocker 30 owner, I can tell you I love it. But as said, the RV50 is quite different, with more gain and more modern tone, also using 6V6s (NOT 6L6!) too.

And I can tell you that the Rocker 30 is a FANTASTIC amp. If you think about buying it on the spot, I think you should go over the things that you will need to think abou, like the lack of FX loop. Then you could try with a delay and see if you think it sounds decent (I don't) for an example.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeah my bad it runs on 6V6s. That was just from memory, i checked the Orange site later and found i was mistaken. Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know of anyone in australia that will Mod my AD30 to have an effects loop?
it'll rarely match with what you're wearing, unless you wear a lot of orange.

there, problem solved.
will you buy me one then?

haha. you're on the right road to getting your amp. if I were you I'd try to spend some more tm with every amp you consider , as at that prce range, more likely than not the amp you buy will be with you for a long time
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Gabel
Well being a Rocker 30 owner, I can tell you I love it. But as said, the RV50 is quite different, with more gain and more modern tone, also using 6V6s (NOT 6L6!) too.

And I can tell you that the Rocker 30 is a FANTASTIC amp. If you think about buying it on the spot, I think you should go over the things that you will need to think abou, like the lack of FX loop. Then you could try with a delay and see if you think it sounds decent (I don't) for an example.

Looking around, the fx loop seems to be a deal breaker for many a potential orange buyer. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it's nice to know that fja can do it if and when I change my mind.

Quote by Reincaster
if I were you I'd try to spend some more tm with every amp you consider , as at that prce range, more likely than not the amp you buy will be with you for a long time

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning to spend a good chunk of time with her before I decide if she's the new mrs riv.

Quote by ratsandthefleas

there, problem solved.

well f**kbeans. I didn't think of that.
Quote by ratsandthefleas

there, problem solved.

Why on earth would you want to blend into your amp?
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Because it looks strange otherwise? Standing in... pink clothes next to an amp with orange tolex and basketweave cloth doesn't really match eachother I think (:
I'm considering having a black paintjob on my next strat actually, just because I think it looks better on me. But then again, you're actaully holding a guitar, the amp will just be in the background
I dunno but Orange just doesn't fit very often lol