Im a beginner and i guess my left hand fingers arent trained to stretch across frets yet but it seems like some of those chords which require you to really stretch are almost impossible for me. I guess my hands are average, not huge though. Basically my question is, with practise will i be able to split my fingers up and finally play these chords, or does the length of your fingers make a difference?

HeyMO!
Not really man. After a while your hands get used to the movement and everything is fine like cherry wine
nothings impossible..just takes practise...look at all those like 8 year old genius guitar players on youtube, their hands are tiny
it doesn't matter everyone thinks that when they first start out. just keep practicing the chords and u'll get it eventually.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
johnny hiland's got little nubby sausage fingers, plus he's blind, so I figure you can do it.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
get one of those girl guitars
they have smaller necks.
I plays guitars.
Just curious, but what chords are you doing exactly? When I first started I couldn't do chords where I had 3 frets between my index and pinky, but I got used to it eventually. (This is relatively close to the headstock btw)
Last edited by Enigmers at Jan 29, 2008,
the chords get easier the more you play because you learn to angle your hands better to get the stretch you want, your hands dont grow they just learn how to move better.
Quote by HeyMO
Im a beginner and i guess my left hand fingers arent trained to stretch across frets yet but it seems like some of those chords which require you to really stretch are almost impossible for me. I guess my hands are average, not huge though. Basically my question is, with practise will i be able to split my fingers up and finally play these chords, or does the length of your fingers make a difference?

HeyMO!

Yes, it happens to every beginner. Just practice and will be easier everyday.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
All you need is an overdose of PRACTICE!
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
i have little sausage fingers. it just takes practice. be sure to practice without bending your wrists too much. if you bend them too much, you will lose power.
Thanks to everyone! I was really worried, but now from all the responses i see that im not the only one who thinks like that when you start out. So i'll practise practise practise!

203LP: Ill keep the girly guitar with the small neck as plan B!
Enigmers: Im not sure of the name of the chord, but it was a Capo on the 4th fret, and then EADGBe (103210) - with a hammer on the G - i hope thats the right tab!

I was trying to learn bit by bit the acoustic version of hey ya from this tutorial i found
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM

I just couldnt seem to barely reach let alone hammer on! And reaching my third finger over as hard as i try i cant stop it touching the string underneath which im supposed to hammer onto!

Ive only had my guitar a week, so ill try some exercises that came with the book which looks like moving back and forth across the frets with different fingers, is this how everyone else started training your fingers too?

Thanks again to all for the useful advice, every comment is appreciated

HeyMO!
Quote by HeyMO
Thanks to everyone! I was really worried, but now from all the responses i see that im not the only one who thinks like that when you start out. So i'll practise practise practise!

203LP: Ill keep the girly guitar with the small neck as plan B!
Enigmers: Im not sure of the name of the chord, but it was a Capo on the 4th fret, and then EADGBe (103210) - with a hammer on the G - i hope thats the right tab!

I was trying to learn bit by bit the acoustic version of hey ya from this tutorial i found
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM

I just couldnt seem to barely reach let alone hammer on! And reaching my third finger over as hard as i try i cant stop it touching the string underneath which im supposed to hammer onto!

Ive only had my guitar a week, so ill try some exercises that came with the book which looks like moving back and forth across the frets with different fingers, is this how everyone else started training your fingers too?

Thanks again to all for the useful advice, every comment is appreciated

HeyMO!

How exactly are you trying to play that chord? Try using your thumb (over the top of the neck) to fret the E string and use your index finger on the B, your middle finger on the G, and your ring finger one the D.
Sorry i think the correct tab is EADGBe (603210) Yep im using my thumb to hold the first fret E but what i find is by the time i reach over with my ring finger to hold down the D on the 3rd fret and bend it so that it isnt buzzing the string below it, i can barely get my thumb to touch the first string, let alone hold it down!

HeyMO!
Li Jie, one of the best classical guitarists in the world was told by her guitar teacher that her hands were too small to play properly. Needless to say she proved him wrong.