Hey there y'all,
I'm buying a new ibanez guitar next week. I'm kinda stuck deciding between two models.

1. Ibanez RG370DX Electric Guitar
2. Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar

Both are pretty much the same, except the fingerboards.
RG350MDX has a maple fingerboard and RG370DX has a bound rosewood fingerboard.

I have some experience playing in a heavy metal band, usually covered with few Originals. I'd really like to develop on my SOLOING, and be a better lead player.
I know the wizard II neck is really good for that, but how will the fretboard affect playability.

Is the extra 40 bucks for the maple fingerboard worth it ?

Thanks in advance.
Help Appreciated.

Anurag
I think the rosewood is going to handle the abrasion of playing better over a period of many years and look less worn.
Rosewood. Im not a fan of Maple, b/c it seems to stick to your fingers. And it looks better as well.
buy rosewood. its better for metal. it has a warmer sound than the maple and it looks cooler
rosewood is better. I think it slides better and is more comfortable. But... the bridge is not so hot.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
i prefer maple, if for nothing else then just cuz i prefer the way it looks.
i have all rosewood and ebony on my guitars, and i love em. so go with rosewood?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
buy a jackson
Gear:

Stinger Smx
Hondo H-1
Fender Classical
Custom Mini Les Paul
60 watt Mega Tube
GNX4 workstation
6 pack of Shiner Bock
Oh god, an Edge III bridge... don't touch them...

Anyway. For metal, ebony or rosewood is generally preferred by most people.

However, I tend to just go with whatever looks better on that given guitar. With metal, you often have so much distortion and such a vapid tone that the tonal difference between rosewood, ebony and maple won't show up at all anyway. And personally, I've never found any of the three to be any easier to play on than the others; a good maple fretboard will be just as smooth as any good rosewood fretboard, which in turn will be just as smooth as any ebony fretboard.

One thing to bear in mind also is that with rosewood and ebony fretboards, they're always a slim layer of wood on top of usually either a maple or mahogany neck. On the other hand sometimes with maple boards which are on maple necks, the board is actually part of the neck itself, rather than a layer glued on top. This will help somewhat with sustain and tonal drop-off (bass or treble bleeding away as a note is sustained). Again though, it's not much of a huge difference, and especially for metal or hard rock (which since you're looking at an Ibanez, is what I assume you play), this kind of small difference won't show up anyway.
I like the way rosewood looks better. It has a bit more deeper tone at times, but with a ton of gain, that won't be very noticeable.

I do love the way a good maple neck feels though. I can usually fly on them pretty easily.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
get a poll happening
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
anything i shld be concerned abt the EDGE III tremolo system?? any other similar "fast neck" guitars wid floyd rose prolly for similar price?
Quote by anurag_cool123
hey anything seriously wrong wid da edge III tremolo

yes
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
aww man... but i read really good abt the EDGE III bridge. is something wrong wid its make or quality?? shld i go an other guitar then????

p.s: really really thanks for this quick response though
You could just block off the trem, maybe? use it as a hardtail?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
This site is pretty useful for learning about Ibanez and their trems:
http://lawl.net/gtr/trems
You COULD swap your Edge III for an OFR, but I can neither confirm or deny from personal experience that that indeed works. You can find OFRs here:
Warmoth
If you're freaked out about the Edge III, do a few more days of research before you make an expensive (and frustrating!) mistake. I've learned around here in the UG forums that Edge III trems and Line 6 Spider III 15 modeling amps are universally disliked by everyone.
Anyways, Good Luck!
hey thanks a lot guys, i guess i'l jus stick to a fixed bridge. guess the fun of dive bombing isnt worth the price. i'm thinkin Ibanez RG321MH. looks pretty decent. I'm no pro. So i guess it should do its job for a while till i upgrade/get enuf money to buy pro gear.
Maple, it's harder than rosewood so contributes to a brighter tone and is better for screaming lead stuff. Also it looks a lot cooler...

...however, that Edge 3 bridge is a different matter entirely.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you can tell the difference between Maple & Rosewood then you`re Amp isn`t loud enough!

Just buy what looks the best to you dude!
Quote by George Harrison
I can`t put more than 4 notes together in a run
trust me, i wouldn't defend a piece of crap, my edge III has held perfect tune through regular divebombings for well over a year now, i think the majority of problems is n00bs who don't do a good setup on their guitar.. and if you really like that guitar i suggest you go for it. as if you like it that much, replacing the edge III with an ofr IF the EDGE III wears out after a few years, won't bother you.

but if you're worried about it wearing out that much, i suggest this guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=517588
Quote by Chad11491
trust me, i wouldn't defend a piece of crap, my edge III has held perfect tune through regular divebombings for well over a year now, i think the majority of problems is n00bs who don't do a good setup on their guitar.. and if you really like that guitar i suggest you go for it. as if you like it that much, replacing the edge III with an ofr IF the EDGE III wears out after a few years, won't bother you.

but if you're worried about it wearing out that much, i suggest this guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=517588

definetly look into that jackson!
i kinda wish i'd got it instead of my dkmg

also maple fretboards FTW
Top lel.
Maple FTW.
Gear:
MIM Strat
Ovation Applause Shallow-Body Acoustic

-----> PAGE
-----> CLAPTON