Hey, I'm a guitarist but I was just curious if anyone on the bass forum played upright bass a la Buddy Holly's bass player in the early days etc... It would be cool if any of you did. Unless you were at the right venue some people would give you strange looks these days - " A Cello!?"

Anyway, just curious!
I play upright bass. Just started, though. I'm only 5' 3" so I have to play on a riser or something like that, haha.
I play regular bass guitar, just switched to upright bass in orchestra for school. Used to play cello, it was a real easy jump for me, I catch on quick to different instruments.
I've played for about 5 years. I enjoy it to spice my stuff.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
When i made an upright bass thread, at least i had a question.

anyway, they aren't too popular around here(by that i mean not that many play them), so i doubt this would go far
i want to really bad but my school is friggen cheap they have "other prioritys" i'll buy one for myself eventually
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I play it. Definately an different instrument. A lot more strict in your positioning and stuff.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I played it for a little bit a while back. I had switched from cello to bass guitar. With the duty of Bass guitar in the orchestra I was in, every once and a while you had to do upright. I REALLY want to do it again. I might get to pick it back up next year in my orchestra class. Fantastic instrument.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^lol I'm sigging that

And no to your question but I would love to start
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
it's something I wanna learn when I'm better at the electric bass

and now I wanna go put "over the falls" on, one of my favourite modern songs with upright
in fact, I love the whole retro feel of the Brown Album....
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
Its my main instrument. Any other questions?

Havent seen you in awhile, welcome back .
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I switch off between upright and electric in jazz band. Actually, the school owns an upright electric, which is like a big stick with strings and a pickup. Plays about the same as a real one though(they also own several uprights, a few of which I've played).
Quote by BassistGal
Havent seen you in awhile, welcome back .

Thanks man, I've been taking a break from the forums for a while, hopefully I'll be able to post more often