I know bass is more than root notes, but I don't know how to get away from it. Like I've said before I'm in a band( well right now its me and a friend just jamming right now since theres only 2 people) and I want to better myself as a bassist by using more than root notes and such and I want know ideas of how.

just for reference:
bass: ibanez gsr200fm
amp: peavey MAX 158
Playing style: pick mostly, fingerstyle is in the works
Theory knowledge: none (i plan on become familiar with it after golf season when I can devote more time to it)
use the third and fifth of the chord. thast the most basic thing i can tell you

if the chord is: 1: 3 5

A: C E
B: D F
C: E G
D: F A
E: G B
F: A C
G: B D

so ya i hope that helps. surely you know that if the key is G and you want to play a B chord. you have to play B D F# not just F

hope i can help

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117

so ya i hope that helps. surely you know that if the key is G and you want to play a B chord. you have to play B D F# not just F

hope i can help

if he knows absolutely no theory why would he know the G scale?

learning theory will help tremendously: musictheory.net is your friend here. Basic thing to do, like the previous guy mentioned, is work with the roots at first, and then add in some fills, the easiest would probably be something in the pentatonic scale. Pentatonic fills are pretty easy, i'm sure there's some stuff on the musci theory site to explain it a bit better.

If you learn all of your scales, you will be able to know what sounds good in what situation, so i suggest learning your scales
Thanks for the web site. theory is something that i've attempted to learn a few times before but my resources on it were limited so it amounted to nothing. now i'm thinking of takin a course at a community college on it if they offer it.
it's extremely helpful but, as you've noticed difficult to learn, hopefully that site helps.
You might find it easier to hire an instructor who will teach you theory as applied to the bass, as opposed to just general theory. Alone, theory can seem abstract and imposing.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
yeah just use scales, and throw some rhythm into it so you're not playing a droning sound whether its root notes or not.

G - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A 55555555 77777777
E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

can become

G - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -9
D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -7
A 02355575 5/10 977 7- - - -777

just learn some basic patterns (scales) and throw them in so the bassline sounds varied and not boring (at least thats what i've been doing for root note situations, but it's also important to know that rote notes sometime may be necessary to keep the whole track sounding together, it just depends on what sounds good in what situation. oh and the complexity of the fills varies depending on how fast you're playing, at least for me, only having been playing for 10 months
Last edited by Wildcat31 at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by Mongoose87
You might find it easier to hire an instructor who will teach you theory as applied to the bass, as opposed to just general theory. Alone, theory can seem abstract and imposing.

i understand where you're coming from but if I do get an instructor it'd have to wait until summer so I can have a more consistent schedule, thats why I'm primarily looking for like some web sites and books I can check out from the library and such, and not just about theory necessarily but anything that may help further my (limited ) bass playing ability.
plAY OFF the arpegio. if the chord has sya a dominent 7th then by god sakes play the damn 7th in part of your basslind while the chord. have a minor sound/feel/chord then play that minor 3rd and let that puppy sing out.

generally you should have that inner bassist in you head that has the bassline playing through your head over and over and play off of that. i would say a bass guitar should be playing something other than the lead guitar 90% of the time. unison is to stress/emphisize a hook.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
buy a book! study a chord diagram for about 15 mins each day. dont memorize where evrything is. memorize where evrything is in relation to eachother. look at a minor 3rd chord and name the root the 3rd the 5th and the octave. look at a major7th and 13thchords and find all of the 7ths and 13ths. that should start you off somewhere. you should start getting in your head how to play in key. know "okay i use any of theese 5 notes here to make my melody" "i'll be fine as long as i stay away from theese two notes" stuff like that.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
TS, I have the perfect, perfect link for you. Helped me so much when I first started out.

http://www.cyberfretbass.com/line-creation/index.php

It teaches you how to chromatically approach the root note, and after you master that, you can go on to the other lesson there, the Root chord 5th lesson.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by timzee117

hope i can help

C is a minor third in A, so is D in B, F in D, G in E,
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Link.JohnIrving
TS, I have the perfect, perfect link for you. Helped me so much when I first started out.

http://www.cyberfretbass.com/line-creation/index.php

It teaches you how to chromatically approach the root note, and after you master that, you can go on to the other lesson there, the Root chord 5th lesson.

This is an amazing 'databass' of wisdom - a good find ^_^
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Wildcat31
yeah just use scales, and throw some rhythm into it so you're not playing a droning sound whether its root notes or not.

G - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A 55555555 77777777

can become

G - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -9
D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -7
A 02355575 5/10 977 7- - - -777

just learn some basic patterns (scales) and throw them in so the bassline sounds varied and not boring (at least thats what i've been doing for root note situations, but it's also important to know that rote notes sometime may be necessary to keep the whole track sounding together, it just depends on what sounds good in what situation. oh and the complexity of the fills varies depending on how fast you're playing, at least for me, only having been playing for 10 months

No offense, but that line sounds awful.
TS, you will have to dedicate time into theory learning.
The beginner steps in theory, which are the most essential ones for musicians, are quite easy, the most important ones for a bassist are Chord Construction, followed by Scales.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
A book I suggest you buy is "Fretboard Alchemy" off of www.bassbooks.com It has a tremendous amount of scales in it along with diagrams of how each scale is fingered, arpeggios and avoid notes.

I think it is invaluvable and it should help you out a great deal.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Funkbass796
A book I suggest you buy is "Fretboard Alchemy" off of www.bassbooks.com It has a tremendous amount of scales in it along with diagrams of how each scale is fingered, arpeggios and avoid notes.

I think it is invaluvable and it should help you out a great deal.

Yes! Agreed, an invaluable purchase ...

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.