Alright, well I just recently purchased a Behringer Ultrabass 1800 and it has a 7 band EQ interface. As I have been playing either unplugged or through a crappy guitar amp up until now, I have absolutely no idea how to tweak this things settings. If anyone knows how to help me, I am looking for a kind of mellow jazz tone that has articulated notes and stands out in the mix, but I want to avoid excessive treble that would make chords sound too bright. For an example of the tone I want, check out Stu Hamm on youtube. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me out, I'm just extremely confused.
This will get flamed instantly for the behringer purchase, and the use of the guitar amp but, i'll try to hold back.

Check the FAQ there is a whole section on Amp settings. Also If you're looking to go more in depth, find a user by the name of thefitz, look into his blogs, he has a great one about Equing
Also, my blogs:

On knowing the frequencies:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/thefitz/blog/16324/

On general EQ shaping:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/thefitz/blog/8689/

That should pretty much give you all you need to know - or at least give you an understanding of what you need to know what you need to know.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
put all of the nobs at the 12 o'clock position and just start strumming and turning different ones to see what they do and sound like. after a while it becomes easy to shape your tone.
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
Quote by tzmen23
put all of the nobs at the 12 o'clock position and just start strumming and turning different ones to see what they do and sound like. after a while it becomes easy to shape your tone.

Actually, I'd suggest against bass strumming for EQ setting purposes. Usually, people are all like "strum your bass asshole" but I'm all like "yo dude he's setting his EQ" and they're like "so what you gotta strum otherwise the EQ wont work" and I'm like "w/e" and they're like *dies*.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Shattuck
Alright, well I just recently purchased a Behringer Ultrabass 1800

Sorry...

Anyways, just go look at theFitz's stuff, its quite good. Generally though, it just takes trial and error, just screwing around til you get it right.
I am looking for a kind of mellow jazz tone...

For an example of the tone I want, check out Stu Hamm

Wait, what?
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Wait, what?

Dialling EQ?

Piuck up phone
dial 37

Try boosting the mids slightly. if you're slapping and popping though, keep them slightly cut as otherwise the twang is really, really ear piercing!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.