Page 1 of 2
I recorded a few tracks with my band about a year and a half ago and I used a MG(the half stack). Little did I know about this amp at the time, I just saw the Marshall logo and thought it was good. I was practically tone deaf as well. But I pulled up this recording and thought, hey, that doesn't sound so bad. Tell me if it sounds okay to you or if I need to get my hearing checked:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/patriotplayer90/music/all/play201593
I thought that sounded great. But it was in a studio.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
why isn't there the whole song? i wanna hear the rest...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
It's okay, but you can tell its an ss

Nice playing btw.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
yeah, studio tricks can make a garbage can with a speaker in it sound halfway decent..

I'm still not really partial to the tone though, the high notes sounded shrieky and choppy.. and the low notes weren't fluid. i'm pretty sure it's not your playing, so my next guess would be the amp..
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by UnsignedRecords
why isn't there the whole song hm?

+1
Last edited by jimmy666page666 at Jan 29, 2008,
Lol lets see, theres no rest of the song because there are no vocals. Our singer was pretty horrible, so we decided to keep his work off of the record. And I also play a cheap Epiphone LP, so that doesn't help the tone too much.

But I will admit, I have never played another MG that sounded anywhere close to that
tbh, i think you're pulling our legs
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

your shredding was a little off the beat. sounds alright, not really my style of music to judge though...
i don't believe spider III's (i haven't played II) and Marshall MG's aren't really that bad if your a beginner and also won't sound half bad if you know how to eq it properly, i think a lot of people on here hate them cause other people hate them. this is also to prove if you have a nice EQ it can sound half decent.
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by s.r.v.
your shredding was a little off the beat. sounds alright, not really my style of music to judge though...

Yeah i will be honest, I get the nerves when I record, we were supposed to go back and fix the mistakes and add vocals but we ran out of money lol
Quote by UnsignedRecords
tbh, i think you're pulling our legs

+1. i could be wrong..but half of your many many threads are asking about a new amp, the other on how to pick properly. if i'm wrong, i apologize, but this sounds fishy (especially the part about the singer).
it's not cutting through the rest of the band... drums overpowers everything.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by climhazzard
+1. i could be wrong..but half of your many many threads are asking about a new amp, the other on how to pick properly. if i'm wrong, i apologize, but this sounds fishy (especially the part about the singer).

Lol yes i can see that, but that is me. See i have always picked with my elbow, but i just have been looking for a better way of picking seeing as i tense up while playing. I am not a newb to playing guitar, but I am a newb to good technique.
Quote by tr3nt
I thought that sounded great. But it was in a studio.

yea in a studio you can tweak you tone so much for the better, I say its worked on so much and you would not get that tone live...

I thought the amp lacked low end a little bit but thats just my ear...
Last edited by moody07747 at Jan 29, 2008,
I'd love to hear what that solo would sound like played through say, an all tube Marshall.
12 fret fury
i think it sounded great, never heard a marshall mg before..but from what ive read on mg's on this forum i expected worse
id say it was a little thin, nice playing
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by bite_the_bullet
yeah, studio tricks can make a garbage can with a speaker in it sound halfway decent..

I'm still not really partial to the tone though, the high notes sounded shrieky and choppy.. and the low notes weren't fluid. i'm pretty sure it's not your playing, so my next guess would be the amp..

there are limits. a polished turd still smells like shit.

i thought the tone was pretty decent. it didn't make me think 'wow, that was great', but i didn't think 'wow that sucks' either, which pretty much goes to show that a lot of people's opinions on MGs are way off.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Overall, not a bad sound, but it could be so much better.

MGs aren't much different from other cheap SS amps when it comes to tone; but their (lack of) reliability and price is.
If you go at this link over here and listen to the song of my old band...I recorded with a Mg15DFx the quality is maybe a little bad cause we recorded on my laptop.Anyway check it..

www.myspace.com/reversedlane
My pedals:
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah GCB-95
Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-9)
Digitech Hot Head
MXR Phase 90
Digitech DigiDelay
Decent, but still too harsh and toppy IMO.
Also a little flat, a bit of reverb or something might help it along.
But it was good for an MG.
just goes to show that alot of the tone comes from your fingers, although the amp plays a part the solo sound pretty good, I agree the high where harsh and the lows where lacking. Through a nice tube amp the solo would have been a lot better sounding but hey, it was far from horable. Also a studio can make a big change an any amps sound.
You make the MG better sounding than others because your a much better player. And tone comes from the fingers which you achieve pretty well so.

But at the same time it can depend how much studio work went into it.
When i max my treble, bass and Contour at 0, gain at mid, i also get a sweet tone, pantera ll the way man =) MG's don't rock, but they're underrated because of the price tag!
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by wyldelife
MG's don't rock, but they're underrated because of the price tag!

Ummmm....

Anyway, I thought it sounded a little thin, and incredibly muddy at 18 seconds. Apart from that, it sounded not-so-bad, not so good.
My honest thought on it. It sounded awesome. But I dont think thats an MG. I think thats a better amp then an MG and the TS just said it to see how yall would take it. I think he probably wanted to hear everyone say how shi*ty it sounded when its not an MG at all.
^ thaank you.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I thought MG's were supposed to sound like crap? That didn't sound half bad.
My Stuff!

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Vintage V400-12 Solid Top 12 STRING!!!!!
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha FD02 Solid Top
Orange crush 10
Watson XL15
Zoom G2
Encore PK40

Saxophone: Jupiter somethin or other
haha, yep everyone go out and buy one. they sound so sweet.

*mg 50 for sale pm for more information.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Ghopki02
I thought MG's were supposed to sound like crap? That didn't sound half bad.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to use this as the ideal basis of the sound of an mg. I thought it sounded great when i played it in the studio, even without being mic'd. But i have never played through one that sounded quite like that. The guy's recording equipment helped ALOT though.
that sounded alright to be honest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jj1565
haha, yep everyone go out and buy one. they sound so sweet.

*mg 50 for sale pm for more information.

I'll trade you some broken headphones for it?
haha, hmm. seems like a solid trade. i was holding out for a half opened bottle of sam adams, but ill take it under consideration.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Page 1 of 2