Have it hooked up to the pc. Downloaded all the latest sh*t, monkey etc... and can't hear anything out of the speakers. Now maybe I'm a moron, that's highly plausable. Am I supposed to hear sound out of the speakers hooked to my sound card? I have the pud hooked to usb to pc, and installed all drivers, etc...

I'm using a p4 DULL (Dell)
nobody? Just wondering if the USB handles the sound or if I need
1/4" > 1/8" cable to hook from the POD > PC Sound Card
I'm not sure, on my Tonelab, the USB part (well midi on mine) only handles the program changes and the tinkering.

Edit: The manual says.. "The PODxt's USB jack lets you connect it directly to most computers and record your PODxt directly to a wide variety of popular recording software"

So it should work.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jan 30, 2008,
I have a PodXt. I can record from the USB interface. I got it used off Cragslist recently so I don't know everything about it, but I haven't seen a way to listen to the pod thru the USB interface live. Just record.

This appears to be because the Pod doesn't include a "mixer device". Your sound card has a mixer device and it shows up in the properties of the mixer dialog. I set the Pod as the default recording device in the sound properties and then record with Audacity. I noticed that Audacity normally shows the inputs (as an input selection) from the mixer device when recording from a sound card. But that drop down box is completely grayed out when using the Pod as the default recording device.
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
I'm not sure, on my Tonelab, the USB part (well midi on mine) only handles the program changes and the tinkering.

Edit: The manual says.. "The PODxt's USB jack lets you connect it directly to most computers and record your PODxt directly to a wide variety of popular recording software"

So it should work.
Tonelab or Toneport? I think the Toneport supports USB record.
You can't play the sound through the speakers on USB if thats what your talking about. You'll need to hook your speakers to the Pod. Think of it like an external sound card.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by PlagueX1
You can't play the sound through the speakers on USB if thats what your talking about. You'll need to hook your speakers to the Pod. Think of it like an external sound card.
Or run a cable from the phones out to your computer line-in. This will allow you to monitor the line-in signal on your computer speakers.
Quote by PlagueX1

That's what I figured. However the Outs are 1/4"

I figure you need 2 cables 1/4" > 1/8" and connect 2 cables to the input on sound card. I hope my DULL (DELL) has 2 inputs.

So your saying you can hook speakers directly to the 1/4" outputs on the POD?
Well the thing is I have special speakers. If you get an adapter tho you should be able to. It all depends on the type of speaker setup you have. fly135 idea would likely work also.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by knuckleslammer
That's what I figured. However the Outs are 1/4"

I figure you need 2 cables 1/4" > 1/8" and connect 2 cables to the input on sound card. I hope my DULL (DELL) has 2 inputs.

I use one of these to go from the stereo outs on the unit to the mic in on my soundcard (I don't have a line in).
These go to eleven...
Quote by knuckleslammer
You can hook the speakers to the headphone output. They must be self powered speakers like computer speakers or monitors with built in amp. Or you can go into an stereo amplifier. Both the 1/4" outputs or the phones out will work.
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
I use one of these to go from the stereo outs on the unit to the mic in on my soundcard (I don't have a line in).
That's not the correct cable. That cable will short one of the outputs of the Pod. You need a mono 1/8" plug. You may be able to buy an 1/8" stereo female to 1/8" mono male adapter at Radio Shack. Also you should go into the recording dialog of the mixer and look for a button labeled "advanced". There should be a selection that allows you to enable/disable the 20db boost on the mic input. You want the boost "OFF". The extra 20DB gain on the mic tends to be noisy.
Well my mic input is stereo but I'm not sure about line in. When I use a stereo "ping pong" delay that alternates the echos between both outputs, the echos alternate between the speakers. So that's how I know. If you look at most computer mics, they have stereo plugs. This so it can act as one mic for both left and right.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Well my mic input is stereo but I'm not sure about line in. When I use a stereo "ping pong" delay that alternates the echos between both outputs, the echos alternate between the speakers. So that's how I know. If you look at most computer mics, they have stereo plugs. This so it can act as one mic for both left and right.
I can't say that your sound card doesn't have a stereo mic without knowing what kind of card it is. But, if you refer to the AC97 codec specification that is used as the basis for a majority of sound boards you will see that the mic input is mono.

http://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs150/Documents/ac97_r23.pdf

Page 17 gives the analog signal specification.

In addition, this is an excerpt from the Sounblaster Live! manual....

One analog input via stereo jack on rear bracket (selectable from line-level analog line input or mono microphone analog input)

The Live! card does use a stereo connector for both line-in and mic input. So I'm guessing that your mic input doubles as both a line-in and a mono mic input. This is something that I didn't know about. Since most laptops only have a input labeled mic, perhaps they have this dual functionality.

If you have both a line-in and a mic in then the mic input will be a mono jack.
Last edited by fly135 at Jan 30, 2008,
Well, my dell has a RED / GREEN / BLUE on the sound card. RED is mic and I'm not sure if that is mono or stereo. Green I use for speakers and headphones, so that is a stereo. As for the Blue, I have no idea.

I was originally going to buy 2 (1/4" > 1/8") mono adaptors. One for the 1/4" out L and one for the 1/4" out R on the pod to the green and blue on the sound card, but that wont work, I guess this is not going to happen. I don't understand how people use this to record with? Not everyone uses headphones I'm assuming but probably monitor type speakers?

Is the best idea to use a different sound card? If so, any ideas as to which one to use?
Quote by knuckleslammer
Well, my dell has a RED / GREEN / BLUE on the sound card. RED is mic and I'm not sure if that is mono or stereo. Green I use for speakers and headphones, so that is a stereo. As for the Blue, I have no idea.

I was originally going to buy 2 (1/4" > 1/8") mono adaptors. One for the 1/4" out L and one for the 1/4" out R on the pod to the green and blue on the sound card, but that wont work, I guess this is not going to happen. I don't understand how people use this to record with? Not everyone uses headphones I'm assuming but probably monitor type speakers?

Is the best idea to use a different sound card? If so, any ideas as to which one to use?
The blue connector is a stereo line in. The cable that JimPlaysGuitar linked to is ideal for going from the Pod to the blue stereo input. You could also buy a stereo 1/8" cable and go from the Pod headphone jack to the blue connector. The advantage of Jims cable is that you still keep your headphones. The advantage of using the headphone cable is it's probably a few bucks cheaper and you retain the 1/4" output to plug into an amp. The least desirable recommendation is to buy a mono 1/4" to 1/8" cable and plug it into the mic (pink) input.
I guarantee you that it will sound like crap if you hook it up through your dell's internal soundcard.

Just take the speaker output coming from the speaker wires of the speakers themselves, and attach a 1/8->1/4 adaptor jack to it, then connect it into the phones out, or the out 1/2 jack on the pod xt.
2003 Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts
2006 Epiphone 66' Re-Issue SG
1980's USA Fender Stratocaster w/ 50's Gibson Humbucker
Fender Deluxe 112 Plus Amplifier
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amplifier
Peavey Basic 50 Amplifier
Pod XT Pro
Well here's the story. I don't know why they have me go into the control panel. I switched everything from my sound card to POD and then back to sound card with the speakers plugged into headphone jack via 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor. No matter which setting I choose POD or sound card in the sound devices > audio section of control panel it still sounds the same. I fail to understand the purpose of going into the control panel. Here's what they said.

With your gear selected in the products dropdown,
Download 2 items under 'software'
1. USB Driver 3.3.3.6 > Save it to desktop

2. Line 6 Monkey 1.21: Save it to desktop
3. Gearbox 3.50

For Windows XP & Vista:

Run the driver first, follow through with the Line6 installation wizard. Disconnect and reconnect your USB cable when directed.
Towards the end of the Line 6 Driver installation process, WINDOWS driver installation will prompt up and say "Found New Hardware" DO NOT CANCEL IT! Leave it alone and on the screen, but finish the LINE 6 driver install wiz first.

Now, after finishing the L6 driver wizard, you can continue with the windows wizard.
We're going to do this manually so follow close:

1. At the very start of the window's hardware driver wizard, it has 2 choices. One to search automatically, and one below that to search in specified folder. Choose to search in specified folder, click next.
2. Now it asks you where to search, you're going indicate by browsing your computer: Here's the folder…
C: > Program Files > Line 6 > Tools > Driver Archive > [your gear] > [current driver version]

3. Click OK, then NEXT
4. wait for it to finish, find, found, Complete..

RUN the Line 6 Monkey Installation File, complete installing.
1. Log into your account. The one you registered on our user web account.
2. Click on the Updates tab. Anything that you see with a ! triangle next to it needs to be updated. So update as indicated.

3. In your system's control panel / sound and audio devices/ audio
Make sure that the sound playback AND audio recording is set to [your gear]
In doing so, you are using your Line6 Device as your default soundcard.

4. Plug your desktop speakers into the headphones jack. If needed, use an adapter 1/8 to 1/4
Because your line 6 gear is now your soundcard, your output speakers will come directly out of the phones jack.

You should be ready to rock!
i had a problem awhile back where everything worked except the sound, with my toneport. I uninstalled then reinstalled and everything worked out
I don't use my PodXT for playback for two reasons....

1) I don't like keeping it on all the time. It gets pretty warm.

2) After being connected to the USB for a while, it will start generating really bad static noises. I have to disconnect the USB and plug it back in.
So you use it specifically for effects or as a headphone type amp? I bought mine for headphone / silent use and to record riffs. I tried it with a crate rfx65 and with my mesa 2:100 power amp. The power amp said "LOFL, you got to be kidding me" and it sounded like MUD.

It's alright for what I bought it for. I fail to see why they wanted me to switch the sound in the control panel. Makes no sense.

Kevin
I just bought mine for using on the desk at my office during lunch. I got it used for $125 off Craigslist. My setup at home is a GT-8 with external preamp and distortion boxes in the loop. Mostly the amp sim and distortion are disabled in the GT-8.

They had you change the sound card in the control panel so you could use the Pod for recording USB. They also had you use it for playback so you could hear it while recording/playing. You only need to change the record device if you either run the Pod to an amp, or run the cables mentioned earlier.

If you run the cables you can record using USB but audio monitoring while playing is going through the line-in and out to the computer speakers.