i have just ordered a Peavey Windsor Studio 1x20 20w. And I know this is not a hi-gain amp. So I'm wondering what kind of distortion pedal should I get if I want to push this amp into death metal territory. When I play metal I'll used a LTD with EMG if that should be part of the factor. Also, is 6L6GC better for hi-gain??
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-All-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481660
Em no use the windsor distortion, and over drive it with a pedal like the TS-9, or if your looking for a complete different sound get tube distortion like, Damage control, And 6L6GC are nice for metal but its just personal preferance
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by Dark Aegis
Try an mt-2

nononononononononononononononononononono.

Get a TS9 or a modded ts7 instead.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by ultimo101
I really like my pedal
Electro-harmonic's Metal Muff

bam. or a fulltone OCD. the OCD is the most natural tube like overdrive squeezed into a pedal i have ever heard.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
nahhhh get an eq pedal to preserve the amps tone better, my kerry king punishes my amp and makes it seem so much louder
wtf. why would you order a distortion pedal before you even try the actual amp?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
wtf. why would you order a distortion pedal before you even try the actual amp?

Because if you know anything about this amp you will know it cant do death metal
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
^wtf. how the hell do u know? the thing has 2 12AX7 preamp tubes in the preamp, one octal poweramp (EL34 stock) in the powertube section putting out 15w. that and a power attenuator in the back. it'll probably get way past metallica gain. now tell me that's not enough feedback.

i would never assume anything before i try the amp itself. form spec wise, it should put out quite a bit of gain. iono if you can turn down the mids enough to get the lame scooped tone, but yea never assume.

btw, why would you buy a windsor if you already plan to buy another distoriton pedal with it?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^wtf. how the hell do u know? the thing has 2 12AX7 preamp tubes in the preamp, one octal poweramp (EL34 stock) in the powertube section putting out 15w. that and a power attenuator in the back. it'll probably get way past metallica gain. now tell me that's not enough feedback.

i would never assume anything before i try the amp itself. form spec wise, it should put out quite a bit of gain. iono if you can turn down the mids enough to get the lame scooped tone, but yea never assume.

btw, why would you buy a windsor if you already plan to buy another distoriton pedal with it?

He possibly tested out the amp at GC......... I have and it cant do deathmetal lol if he needs a backing... Hell my Valveking cant even do hardcore deathmetal.

Also its cheaper to get a tube amp with a good clean tone and add a distortion pedal then buy a 6505 if your on a budget...
^lies!!! haha

iono. i cant believe people when they talk about gear. i want to figure out the potential by myself.

oh well. i guess it can't do death metal then. sorry if i offended any of you.

and just a note, buying a windsor for death metal wasn't a clever choice imo.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^lies!!! haha

iono. i cant believe people when they talk about gear. i want to figure out the potential by myself.

oh well. i guess it can't do death metal then. sorry if i offended any of you.

and just a note, buying a windsor for death metal wasn't a clever choice imo.

And you are correct if it was me i would have gotten a used 5150 and not have to worry about a pedal. But new for new and you dont want to buy something used its a cheap route to take. Also he might be playing blues too for all we know...
Quote by ECistheBest
^i guess pretty damn gritty blues?

Some of us like gritty blues lol i know my setup is really gritty and hey its the blues it aint suppossed to be pretty..
my blues is kinda gritty but i'd want to play some clean blues sometimes...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well, I'm not gonna use this amp strictly for metal. I wanted an amp that's capable of playing classic rock stuff and when needed, push to metal territory. That's why I'm asking for advice for a distortion pedal. anyway, THANKS fellow UGERS!!!