I'm constantly looking for something with an absolutely unique sound, so I figured I'd make a thread for everyone to post the most unique-sounding gear they've seen and/or heard so that we could all have easy access to a totally different world of noises. I'm mostly on the lookout for cool new effects that I can buy, but it'd be fun to see anything original out in the open.

Thanks in advance for the replies. I'm looking forward to spending that nice little tax refund on getting another new sound out of the Rick, so let me see what crazy **** is out there.

Peace!
Rickenbacker 4003
Big Muff Pi
Ashdown Chorus Plus
Digitech Whammy
Peavey Volume
Cry Baby Bass Wah
Small Stone
TR-2 Tremolo
Peavey TNT 115

...I have an empty wallet.
thank goodness, finally a thread about finding obscure SOUND.

almost every thread now that isn't a help thread is "what is the coolest looking bass" "what is your favorite looking bass" "What is the weirdest looking bass" or my personal favorite "what is the most unique, coolest, favorite, weird bass?"

usually all followed with "lulz, pete wentz is overrated"

that being said, they're not really obscure, but i have really been getting interested in delay pedals recently
EHX Bass Microsynth sould do it.

Also, distortion + octave up (or up AND down) + wah pedal stuck in just between heel position and half way = mine and you can't take it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah, Delay does wonders. It's a necessity for any bassist that vies after an interesting sound. It opens up a quite often overlooked gateway to original sounds. It's also infinetely tweak-able on most delay pedals, which gives lots of different options for something that fits into a piece perfectly and adds ****loads of ambience and general rythm to it. I've got the Boss DD-6, and it seems to be the perfect blend of adjustability and simplistic use for live performances or studio recording (although I lack the ability and will to apply my theory knowledge to playing, so my band's studio work actually is a live perfomance). Delay's a must.

Also, I certainly agree that those who seek out uniqueness in their sound seem to be few and far between these days--or they're all just too lazy to make a thread about it themselves. Hahaha

So what else do you guys have? Come on, blow my mind.

O yeah, and lolz ur totally wrong! Pete WentZ is UNDER-rated!! Duh!!!111!!!

:-P
Rickenbacker 4003
Big Muff Pi
Ashdown Chorus Plus
Digitech Whammy
Peavey Volume
Cry Baby Bass Wah
Small Stone
TR-2 Tremolo
Peavey TNT 115

The bassist for Whitechapel has the most insane live tone I've ever heard. Ever. Him and the bassist for Horizontal Orange have crazy tones I've not heard anything like before or since. As for effects or gear, I'm not of much help. I've never heard of a talkbox with a bass, you could try that, but otherwise, it's all been done, I think.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Well, I've got the wah, phaser, distortion, and octaves (through the whammy) covered. If I get a synth, it'll probably be from the tried and true Moog, but I was looking at the EHX model to match my Big Muff. The E-Bow looks ****ing awesome. I actually planned on getting one with the refund already unless I somehow accumulated enough throughout the fiscal to get an electric upright with a bow.

Keep them coming, guys
Rickenbacker 4003
Big Muff Pi
Ashdown Chorus Plus
Digitech Whammy
Peavey Volume
Cry Baby Bass Wah
Small Stone
TR-2 Tremolo
Peavey TNT 115

I enjoy rotary simulation in my effects chain, it's not really obscure or rare, but you don't often see bass players using it, combine that with a nice pitch shifter/octive up pedal, play some harmonics, and you get a glorious organ-like sound.

Also, I've seen few people use them, but I absolutely love ring modulators, granted you will have no trace of your original tone left when using one, but I think they are definately worth playing with, they can be especially useful when playing more ambient or pulsing beats, or for flat out wacky sound effects if that's your thing.
Overdrive>chorus>wah with the pedal taken all the way out. The way i have tweaked it i get this sub octave rumbling that makes people give me the weirdest looks
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"