I NEED A NEW ONE

I currently own a marshall MG15DFX......

I got it for x mas(07) and hadnt noticed the tone problem till it came up in another thread. So I researched it.Dug my old Ibanez amp out of my closet, put it side by side with my Marshall....

I wanted to cry. The marshall sounds like alot of fuzz no distinct tone when on overdrive, The clean sounds great.
(Im going for somthing similar to Chuck Schuldiner-------Death)

But I play mostly heavy metal. So i need something with "good" distortion.

The Ibanez sounded awesome compared to it. But not what Im looking for. The Ibanez was $60-70 new. I looked up The MG at GC its $170. WTF!!!

Like i said i love the tone Chuck schuldiner gets. I know he uses a marshall valvestate. But i heard marshalls newer models have gone to crap.

I cant enjoy my guitar if i cant enjoy the sound. It sucks

I tried a few at GC and hated the environment so much i left without even getting the bass amp I came for.

Any suggestions on a good "metal" amplifier. Brand/model would be appriciated ALOT! Ive got $200'ish. I THINK I want an SS ??? because the tube dosnt die???

p.s. ---I apologize for another "wich amp" thread but Im lost.
Last edited by StonieER at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by StonieER
I THINK I want an SS ??? because the tube dosnt die???

I'm not sure what you mean by that but I would suggest a crate GTD 65. If you only have $200'ish. I have one and it sounds real good for a SS.
If you want an SS that badly I recommend a Peavey Bandit. It competes with the valveking and it's pretty close in price. But you'll have to save up a little more... it's about $350-400.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Thanks to both of you for your quick responses.

Quote by ninja23
I'm not sure what you mean by that but I would suggest a crate GTD 65. If you only have $200'ish. I have one and it sounds real good for a SS.

I think i read somewhere tube amps can die after 4yrs, and solidstate dont die.
Im willing to spend more if its truly worth it.

So im guessing SS arent as good? What would be better?
If you only want a better distortion, you could go only for a distortion pedal or multi-effect like the one I use ( Digitech RP80 ), and keep your marshall on the clean channel ( that's what I do, but my amp is a MG10CD ). If you want a better amp quality, not only the distortion, then I would suggest you to look for Line6, Mesa/Boogie, or other marshall's amps.

Marshalls are the most used amps in metal bands I think. I'm not sure about this. If I'm right, that's good, if I'm wrong, correct me, or just ignore this.

For tube amps, it's not the amp that actually dies, it's only a part in it. You can replace it, by buying the part, but I don't know the price of the part, neither how to change it.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Last edited by XDream_TheaterX at Jan 29, 2008,
Tube amps don't die, but the tubes do. The change is as easy as changing a lightbulb. Just pull the old ones out and put the new ones in. They only need changed every 2 years or so and usually cost 40-100 bucks to get good tubes and change all of them.

Anyways. A microcube might be something to look at. Look for a used Peavey bandit because those are probably one of the best SS amps below $500.
Randall makes pretty good solid state amps, here check out these:

Randall RX75R

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX-Series-RX75R-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481147

Randall RX30D

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX30D-30Watt-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Digital-Effects-and-Celestion-Speaker?sku=481263

They're the same price, but the 30 watt has effects..if you feel it's worth it (it's not).

Just get the 75 watt, I'm sure you'll like it.
Most people around here prefer the tone of tubes, but if you want a solid state, you can get one that does metal, but you'll need a little bit more money. And btw, I don't know where you heard tube amps die after about 4 years. The tubes in a tube amp usually go bad after about a year or so, and you can just replace them yourself.

If you want a solid state for metal, I will also suggest a Randall.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
if you're thinking that tube amps aren't worth it b/c they have parts that "go bad" don't be decieved!!!!

like someone else said, it's like a lightbulb, a lightbulb that supplies the most organic, natural, warmest sound created.....

it's so worth the lil bit of maintenance every couple of years....which isn't any more than taking it to the shop an havin some guy change the tubes out!

SS amps don't have tubes that die....but they get static-y at high volumes, cut volume a lot, and anything else that could go wrong in an amp.

TUBE ftw

but w/ ur budget, a SS will be more versatile!!! just don't think that in the future when ur playing requires an even nicer amp, that you wont go tube!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
About how much would it cost to have the tube replaced?

And to buy one to DIY?

I dont know what it invoves but I can solder..Im searching on how to now.
^First off. No need to solder. Its like replacing a light bulb.
Secondly it can cost anything from $40 to $80 pending on how many tubes you will need. But thats like once every 2 years. So its not that bad imo

Quote by StonieER

Any suggestions on a good "metal" amplifier. Brand/model would be appriciated ALOT! Ive got $200'ish. I THINK I want an SS ??? because the tube dosnt die???

p.s. ---I apologize for another "wich amp" thread but Im lost.

SS doesnt have tube if thats what your saying. Bar hybrid, but only a pre-amp tube. Doesnt make much difference to the sound.

Also, I would recomend either selling the MG or taking it back and get your money and then save a little extra for a randall Rg50TC. It would be worht the wait.
Quote by StonieER

And to buy one to DIY?

I said how to do it by yourself.
As for tubes and prices, some good stores to shop at are tubedepot.com and thetubestore.com are places to buy them. Those sites will have prices for all the kinds of tubes you would ever need.
Quote by StonieER

And to buy one to DIY?

A tube costs about $15 to $20ish. If you go to a shop and have it totally retubed they would probably charge around $10 or so dollars. Really though it's not worth it to take it in. You can do a full tube change yourself in like 5 minutes.

To change tubes you don't have to solder, just make sure the amp is unplugged and cooled down, take out any panels blocking access to the tubes, pull them straight out of their sockets, then put the new ones in, aligning them the same way.

FYI: after taking out the old tubes its best to spray some contact cleaner (can be bought at radio shack etc) on the pins of the new tube and work it in and out of its socket several times to clean the sockets before seating the new tubes in their sockets.

Depending on the amp though, you may need it to be rebiased. For that I recommend taking it to a shop/tech. But that's a different matter.

EDIT: Eurotubes is also a great place for tubes. They sell full retube kits for specific amps. Tube depot and tubestore are good too though.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
Last edited by floydian07 at Jan 30, 2008,
Like one said, wait and get the randall rg50tc, awsome amp
Gear