Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of alternate picking and sweep picking exercises, and I can do a lot, relatively well... but that's all in exercises.

I was wondering if any of you could advise a few songs where these techniques are put to good use (nothing Paul Gilbert style)

I'm up to all suggestions, but my main style of playing is progressive metal and most other kinds of metal (other than death and grindcore stuff) So, any advice would be great =]
Try learning anything by Behold... The Arctopus by ear, it will be great exercise, then play it live for your friends and family.
Jason Becker- Altitudes
Dream Theater- Stream of Consciousness
Lamb of God-Walk With Me In Hell

Try those. The First one will cover everything.
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at all of it =]

(I love that Dream Theater song, not sure why I didn't think of it)
I love Cooley, Gilbert, Malmsteen, and all those prog guys, but I'm not exactly to that level yet, only been playing for about 2 years lol. I'm working on getting to that point, but until then, some "milder" stuff would be nice. Thanks again
Try some of the solos by Between the Buried and Me. The rest of the song may not be up your alley, but there's a lot of legato and sweeping at a moderate pace in their intros/solos/outros.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by Vale_Deo
I love Cooley, Gilbert, Malmsteen, and all those prog guys, but I'm not exactly to that level yet, only been playing for about 2 years lol. I'm working on getting to that point, but until then, some "milder" stuff would be nice. Thanks again

You should still pick a song you can't play at and learn it anyways as a long term project.
That's what I do and I see my growth that way.
Yea, but there's a limit to that. I love learning songs that are difficult for me, but... I do suppose I could just start myself at half the bpm for some of that insane **** these people are doing, and slowly gather up lol