I recently bought an ampeg svt 410 he. Its part of that new classic series. The head im using is that sad berhinger 450 watt thing. The cabs eight ohms and the head is four. I did the math and it looks like im only putting out 270 watts. I dont find that good enough. Im driving the amp and barley being heard, and driving a berhinger amp = mud tone. I want to add another cab to get the most out of my head and get some low end definition. The 4x10 is 500 watts rms, but all the 1x15's ive looked at have wimy wattage. i've looked at the same ampeg series and its only 200 watts, Avatar is 250. I turn to you guy's for help, what should i get? (sorry for wall of text)
Playing a Behringer = mud tone. Also, Behringer seems to overstate their wattage pretty often. I'm sure a 200 watt amp should be fine.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
maybe get a new head instead?
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
i know you guys, i eventually want a svt 6 pro, that beast is 1200 watts i think, but i want a stack that can handle those watts. Right now im getting acceptable tone from the behringer, i just need some more volume and definition at the moment.
well another cab doesnt exactly just make you louder, because the signal is weaker, through more places. It just spreads out the area that the sound is coming from.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by christianbassis
well another cab doesnt exactly just make you louder, because the signal is weaker, through more places. It just spreads out the area that the sound is coming from.

true, but the cab is only getting only partial power.
Why not look into 212s if you're worried about the power handling of 15's, which I disagree with. My 15 has 400W RMS - cheap ass Peavey. I'm sure SWR, GK, and Eden make plenty powerful woofers.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
you can use the ampeg SVT15 just fine with your 410he you shouldent have to worry that thing will take 450 watts and beg for more.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Yeah, get a new head. That's the beauty of head+cab setups. You can compromise on the head while you get your cabs and then when you have your cab setup buy the head you truly want in you heart of hearts. That is, if the head has too much power, which your's seems to. You're not going to get that much greater of a tone with another cabinet. However you will have a much louder bad tone as your head would be pushing out quite a bit more and the extra surface area of the cone would also increase volume. I still recommend a head though.
Quote by christianbassis

Another cab adds cone area (like you mentioned), which in turn means more air is pushed. And since sound is a mechanical wave, if more air is pushed, more energy is transfered.
Quote by Emergancy Exit
you can use the ampeg SVT15 just fine with your 410he you shouldent have to worry that thing will take 450 watts and beg for more.

its only rated for 200 watts though. want to get a really powerful head in the future and i dont want to kill it.
Upgrade the head, first. Get a good ampeg head to go with the cab. You'll be surprised how much your tone will improve, and if you got one rated the same as your behringer, it would be a good bit louder. Behringer posts peak wattage, not RMS.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by thedonutman
Another cab adds cone area (like you mentioned), which in turn means more air is pushed. And since sound is a mechanical wave, if more air is pushed, more energy is transfered.

You are correct. But not really. Just because you get more speakers doesn't mean you will get louder. You have to have the amperage to power said speakers. If you split your head into two, then you get half the power but on two cabs......see my point?
I would advise you to look into other head options. Carvin gives out a shit ton of wattage for very little money, and tyhey actually make some decent heads too. You can get one of those for like $500 and then you'll be set for a bit till you get the cab configuration and money for the ampeg head you want.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX600
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX1200
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by SloppyJoseph
You are correct. But not really. Just because you get more speakers doesn't mean you will get louder. You have to have the amperage to power said speakers. If you split your head into two, then you get half the power but on two cabs......see my point?

You're not correct. At all. There's this wacky german named George who invented this thing called Ohm's law. An Ohm is a measurement of electrical impedance. His law regards these measurements of electrical impedance. In terms of a cab and head what's happening is that the head requires x current to produce power. When you lower the ohm rating you get more current and thus, more power. Adding another cab halves the ohm rating, if it's a cab of equal impedance. Now, the circuit with less impedance can produce more current, and the head can produce more watts. Therefore, if another cabinet is added you're increasing your wattage. This is why heads will often say 250 watts@8 ohms 400 watts@4 ohms or something along those lines. With a cab hookup of 8 ohms it produces 250 watts of power, 4 ohms, 400 watts. This isn't even to mention the fact that another 15" speaker is going to make your setup much louder than even a 150 watt increase in power.
Yeah dude, I understood it from the start, i just wasn't thinking. Thanks for taking the time to actually explain it though.
but remember. if you're dealing with tube amp heads it doesn't work that way. they have a switch on the back where you choose your ohms. if you don't know what i mean look at ampeg's website. their tube amps will say something like 300 watts at 8ohms or 4 ohms. This guy is running solid state but i thought i'd mention it since we got into the ohms discussion.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Yeah, I know. It has something to do with the common transistors in tube heads that come right before the power amp or something along those lines. I just assumed we were talking solid state as generally, in the bass world, that's what it's all about.
Quote by Funkbass796
I would advise you to look into other head options. Carvin gives out a shit ton of wattage for very little money, and tyhey actually make some decent heads too. You can get one of those for like $500 and then you'll be set for a bit till you get the cab configuration and money for the ampeg head you want.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX600
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX1200

I've actaully looked at some caravin stuff and like what i see.