My fall /winter gig has gone on indefinite hiatus at the moment. One of the ideas that someone has suggested is street performance. A nearby city has fairly liberal policies towards street performances on weekends(within certain restrictions, limitations and permitting process of course), and I have an interested drummer and possibly a guitarist on occasion.

The fall gig was never a money making proposition (tips mainly), but really was an opportunity to get more live performance chops on bass guitar. So that's the main object here--to get out of the garage and into a situation where someone other than the cats and neighbors get to hear me and the other musicians play.

So my question is--has anyone else tried this route, and theoretically, if you were in the same performance space, what would you play as a bassist with just a drummer?( The guitarist is only a maybe proposition and they have been known to flake out of commitments in the past).

Have fun and let me know what your experience and take is on that approach.
Bass playing is a funny thing in that it's always hard to hear no matter where you are, but you can hear it from much farther away than you can with guitars or percussion. If you're miles away walking towards a band, the bass is the first thing you'll hear.

However, that said, I agree - don't play in the cold. Period. The string seem to get colder than the air is and it's absolute Hell. If you think "well, I'm tough, I'll just play through the pain", along with the pain, your hands will actually go numb and you won't be physically able to play. Forget gloves - your fingertips won't be able to fret.

Other than that, why not?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well Fitz and IndianRockStar, I do have a slight advantage of living in Northern CA where, except for the recent rainy / cold weather front, we do get most days into the 60s / 70s even in the winter time. And February is sometimes warm enough to go to the beach, so its pretty ideal of playing most of the time, when its not raining up buckets.
When I was in England, i took a photography class at cambridge, and my project was street musicians. One day I saw this guy playing bass and just had to take pictures. Something about him was just so undeniably bad ass, he was there with a drummer, and he had his amp. He had a small generator with him to power the amp. This guy grooved like no other, he was so amazing, and so perfect for my piece that I used a whole role of film just on him, and gave him a few pounds for the effort.

what i'm trying to say is, its possible you might need to find a way to get an amp out there though, and i wouldn't suggest doing it in the cold. This guy just basically improvised a bunch of funk licks and it came out great, i suggest trying that.

here's a pic
Last edited by Zar938 at Jan 29, 2008,
Holy ****, I walk past where that guy is playing every day. Maybe he'll come back sometime.

Anyway, what people tend to look for in a street performer is something that's reasonably easy to listen to...don't crank the distortion, try and have a very strong melodic element to your playing, and just get into the flow of improvising. Be relaxed-you'll be playing for a long time, so finger strength and endurance are important.
Quote by Samzawadi
Holy ****, I walk past where that guy is playing every day. Maybe he'll come back sometime.

Anyway, what people tend to look for in a street performer is something that's reasonably easy to listen to...don't crank the distortion, try and have a very strong melodic element to your playing, and just get into the flow of improvising. Be relaxed-you'll be playing for a long time, so finger strength and endurance are important.

you live in cambridge?

from what I understood, unless you go to the University, its pretty much just a tourist town.
If your drummer can handle it, play THE CRUNGE!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Zar938
you live in cambridge?

from what I understood, unless you go to the University, its pretty much just a tourist town.

Yeah. It is pretty much 1 giant campus frommy experiences with it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by anarkee
Well Fitz and IndianRockStar, I do have a slight advantage of living in Northern CA where, except for the recent rainy / cold weather front, we do get most days into the 60s / 70s even in the winter time. And February is sometimes warm enough to go to the beach, so its pretty ideal of playing most of the time, when its not raining up buckets.

God I love Northern California. Its about -10 degrees here today!!!
Get outside and jam!!!
The coldest i've ever played in was 25 Fahrenheit. That was a huge mistake. My fingers were purple for 3 days straight.

I've never tried the street playing before, but it sounds like a lot of fun.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
I'm the kind of guy who wears shorts everyday, and recently it's been an average 0f 10-20 degree's here lately. But when I play and it's below 30, my fingers lock like no other. I'm limited to slow transitions, and can't play eigths above 140.

But I've had a few shares of street "Performances" mainly just walking around at youth camp with an acoustic guitar and some buddies. It'd be nice to have a guitarest with you, but if not...

LAY DOWN SOME FUNK BABY!

My spirits always rise when I walk by street musicians. Which has happened few times in my small town, but it's always nice. And older people LOVE it! Just make sure you're not pan-handling...
Zar938, that street bassist is playing the EXACT same bass I've got. Black Ibanez Ergodyne.

Good to know I've got good taste.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Originally Posted by Zar938
you live in cambridge?

Yeah, I go to the Uni. It's quite a nice city, but really is dominated by the university and to a lesser extent tourism. Great place to stay for a while, but I don't think I'd want to live here.
I say hell yeah to a street gig. If it were me, I'd play near or in a park if permitted, or atleast somekind of public square. Or just anywhere

Nevermind the ignorant people walking by asking why you're guitar has four strings, just get out there and groove bro.