I just got back from a trip yesterday, and today I start to play with my Mesa Mark IV set exactly the way it's been for god knows how long now, but for some reason the tone doesn't sound "good" to me anymore. This means I have to fiddle with the eq until I can find whatever my new conception of "good" is. I hate it when this happens...

/pointless rant
Yes. Until I manage to get my half-stack, I have to regularly switch amps every few weeks. The tones just lose their luster.
Quote by Flying Couch
Yes. Until I manage to get my half-stack, I have to regularly switch amps every few weeks. The tones just lose their luster.

Don't get a half stack.

You will regret it.
I am the Infantry.
Quote by TechnicolorBoy
Yeah, that happens to me.

So I tune my guitar.

quoted for truth
Happens to me too ... especially during summer 2007. I think I changed my settings for distortion, delay, reverb, eq, etc... about 10 times this summer, while plyaing with friend who plays drums.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Sometimes, that just happens...you just gotta roll with it until everything sounds good again.
Quote by Grimme
I know plenty believe me. I've seen both Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine live, so don't tell me I don't know my metal.

www.myspace.com/awkwardsilencemusic
Quote by nirvana001
Don't get a half stack.

You will regret it.

Whats wrong with getting a half stack? Im considering getting one too.

And I know what you mean, sometimes I'll wake up, play my amp without having any of the settings changed from the night before and I just hate the sound for some reason. Sometimes you might be playing more aggresively, or you might be sitting in a position different to how you were last time which affects how it sounds to your ears.

Set up the amp how you like it, write down what all the settings are, and if it doesnt sound right, check those settings. If they are good, its something else, maybe check pedals, tone switches on the guitar etc etc.
I get that. My tone sounds really dry and the palm mutes sound crappy. I think when I'm 'happy' with my tone, it just means I'm not really paying attention to it and just listening to the notes. I don't think it's the settings, more the actual distortion. I have noticed it sounds better when I sit on the ground directly in front of the amp though.

But some day I'll get a decent tone!
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by nirvana001
Don't get a half stack.

You will regret it.

do not listen to this. if you have a good half stack you wont regret it no matter how damn heavy it is.. trust me on this one.. but if you get a ****ty half stack you will regret it
Current Setup

Schecter Blackjack C7
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMG 81/85
Peavey 5150II Head
Peavey 6505 Cab w/ two Eminence Texas Heat
Epi PR5-e
Hot Rod Deluxe
You saying "randomly" sounds wrong to me.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Oh, I thought you meant like the perfect time to throw in a "That's what shes said!" joke...
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Quote by playmetal5150
do not listen to this. if you have a good half stack you wont regret it no matter how damn heavy it is.. trust me on this one.. but if you get a ****ty half stack you will regret it

Any ****ty thing you would get, you will come to regret it someday, especially for amps and guitars, which are kinda the biggest part of playing guitar, gearwise ...
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone