I have no idea what I want to do with my life. My GPAs above a 3.5 and I intend to keep it that way so I can get into a college, but Im also thinking about getting a ROTC scholarship. I heard that they'll pay for your college, but you have to be in the armed forces x number of years. I always thought being in the military would be something exciting I might want to do for a little bit, but I don't know much about it...

So anyone have any experience in the military? If so, what branch were you in, and would you recommend it?
I'm in about the same situation as you, I'm planning on enlisting in the Marine Corps. In terms of schooling I have been told that if you have four years in, the G.I. Bill allows you 39,000 dollars for schooling, and if you live in certain states such as Illinois (where I live), they will pay for your full schooling to universities in that state plus you have the extra 39,000. This is all what I have been told. I think you definitely have to weigh the pros and cons and I think if you want to go in the military you should probably have other reasons than strictly paying for schooling. Hopefully you can get some help on here from someone whose actually done it. Good Luck.
My dad did ROTC throughout college and just retired a Col. after 25 years. If you get the ROTC scholarship they pay for all your college. To my knowledge you are obligated to serve something like 4-6 years in the military after college (you can get out after that).

If you don't want to be a desk jockey pick a combat MOS.
I am the Infantry.
I know it's a good option in Canada where I live but I'm not sure of the obligations. If you do your post secondary through the military it gets payed for here but you owe X amount of years depending on Y amount of years in univ. or college. Are tours of duty mandatory or compulsary in the states?
Yeah, my dads actually in the army, I just wanted some other points of view. He told me that if I ever do join the military, to do it through ROTC, so I can go for free... Hes a Lt. Col., and hes in Iraq right now hoping to go full Colonel haha.
If I did join, I would either join the Airforce of the Army. Marines is way too hardcore, and I dont have much of an interest in the navy...
Only problem with the Airforce is, I dont have good Eyesight, and I heard if you have Lasik, Itll get messed up once you go up in the plane...
Only problem with the Army is my dad is very against it... hes fine with me joining any branch, but doesnt want me to go into the army.
Quote by SilentDeftone
I've no experience, but I've heard the funding they give for college and whatnot is terrible.

-SD

They pay for all of it.

Terrible, I know.

EDIT: TS, you can join the army first and then apply for college. It's another very impressive thing to put on your resume, and you can use your GI bill to pay for college.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Go to West Point. You get a free education and you can get any job in the Army you want.
Quote by Inimical
So he's sexually attracted to animal rights activists?

That's messed up.

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If Pokemon were real, I'd get me some sweet, sweet Jynx pussy.
Quote by abcdboy
They pay for all of it.

Terrible, I know.

EDIT: TS, you can join the army first and then apply for college. It's another very impressive thing to put on your resume, and you can use your GI bill to pay for college.

Like I said, I have no experience…* but nearly everyone I know who's used the military to pay for college has had quite a few negative things to say about it.

*shrug*

-SD
I'm thinking about the same thing too actually. While I hate to say it, I think in these days, if you go in, you probably won't come out. War is at every door now. You gotta considering that before joining.

Here's what I got planned...

Rock Star
Marines
College

Quote by ragebass89
Go to West Point. You get a free education and you can get any job in the Army you want.

The only thing is, I dont intend to be in the military my whole life... only for how many years they require to pay for my college (I think its around 4?) after that, I want to get out of the military, and get a job in whatever I major in, or see where music takes me. Assuming I get out of course
Quote by captainjackass
The only thing is, I dont intend to be in the military my whole life... only for how many years they require to pay for my college (I think its around 4?) after that, I want to get out of the military, and get a job in whatever I major in, or see where music takes me. Assuming I get out of course
I have a friend who did that. He wanted to join the Police, but since he didn't have his GED, he had to get some military experience to qualify. So he went for 3 years, and when it was up, he decided he'll just go for 3 more years. Did it again and again, until 3 years turned into 21 years. :P
You could try to get into some kind of branch that will give you work and experience for the future?
Example:
A friend of mine is going to be a programmer in the Israel army. So after he quits the army, he will have a future secured with 3 years of programming experience for the army in his curriculum.
Same with another friend that is going to be an electronics technician.

If you work in the army, you will get experience, which is more important than a degree when you have to find a job.
Basically, the experience thing is why you can find engineers driving cabs. Everyone wants people with experience, and unless you get really high marks in college, you're going to have a hard time finding a job.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
You could try to get into some kind of branch that will give you work and experience for the future?
Example:
A friend of mine is going to be a programmer in the Israel army. So after he quits the army, he will have a future secured with 3 years of programming experience for the army in his curriculum.
Same with another friend that is going to be an electronics technician.

If you work in the army, you will get experience, which is more important than a degree when you have to find a job.
Basically, the experience thing is why you can find engineers driving cabs. Everyone wants people with experience, and unless you get really high marks in college, you're going to have a hard time finding a job.
You really helped me out. Thanks.
If your doing it just for college then dont. We hate when people do that. They become the ones that come home from war and cry about it. Theres better ways of paying for college then going half-ass in the military and potentially getting yourself and your buddys killed. When joining the military your first priority should be you want to be a soldier, and give it 110%. I was in the Marines for 4 years, I just got out last year after 6 months in iraq. It was the best time of my life, and if it wasnt for my fiance I would join up again in a heartbeat. And even still, I may, after we get married and settled down. But if you do join up just for college, make sure you dont pick a combat MOS for the reasons I stated earlier. I would suggest the Marine Corps over any other branch. Basic and AIT was the hardest thing ive ever done, but on graduation day there is no better feeling in this world. There is such pride in being a Marine, I cant even explain it. Its an amazing feeling knowing your the worlds best. It sucks being away from friends and family but its worth it in the long run. Im a sheriff deputy now and my time in the Corps helped alot. So if you join any, join the Marines
Not to nit pick in your plan but, isn't joined the army so that the'll pay for your college DURING A WAR, a slightly, bad idea?.