Ive just got into a heavey rock/metal band as bass player and looking for some comments from other experienced bass players as to what sort of amps are best for a real fat and dirty sound on stage.

Cost is not a problem - I just want something amazing, memorable and spanking!!!

Obviously, i will use an overdrive pedal for dirty sound etc but am not familar enough with the various types of amps out there.

I have been told a Gallien Krugger 1001 RB is pretty good. Although have been told Ashdowns are pretty good too,...

Any comments???
Ampeg, anytihng on their higher end.

my personal favorite setup is Eden WT800B with an Ampeg SVT-810E cabinet and a Line 6 Bass PODXT PRO. won't get a better sound than that IMHO

EDIT: the reason- when its harder to find a bad sound than a good sound, you know the gear is great. i can't find a bad sound with the Eden
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Last edited by SeanHart213 at Jan 29, 2008,
I hear 8x10s are pretty heavy

they are also pretty bulky to carry as well
Well, there are a few schools of thought on this one - some heavy bassists prefer to be felt, not heard, and for some, cutting through is key.

The head isn't actually all that important - it's the power and the EQ. SVT4PRO, SWR1500 or SWR900, Carvin BX1200 - they'll all give you enough power with some great EQs. I'd also recommend the Mesa 400+ or SVT2PRO, but I'm not a fan of tubes. Anyway, a loud head with a good EQ would do the trick.

The CABS are the most important thing here. There's no prototypical cab for this (although an 810 could be considered one), and my ideas might be a bit crazy, but here they are:

No 10s. Get 12s. Period. 12s are like 10s but louder sounding, more aggressive, and nastier. Make sure it has a horn. The Eden D212XLT (or Avatar 212 if you want to save some cash) or (even better) the Mesa/Boogie 212 or 412 would do the trick.

You ALSO want a woofer cab - something without a tweeter. An 18" cab would be perfect for that, but they're kinda scarce, with only Hartke, SWR, Eden, and Carvin making them.

If you get a 12/18 setup with a high-powered and properly EQ'd head, you'll have the best heavy metal tone going.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Budget? tell me your budget i can trow out like 10 posible amps that yould be pretty good for you
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
Budget? tell me your budget i can trow out like 10 posible amps that yould be pretty good for you

ummm read his post... no budget

Anyways i would definatley suggest going for the 212 or 412 or 410 + 150 or 118. I personally really dislike the 810's due to some of them having an arse all low end frequency response. Im going to reccomend you the eded XLT 410 cab on top of the eden D118XL. I personally love the XLT 410 as its duel portings give it such good low end frenquency response for a 410. For the head i would say the mesa +400, people crank some of the dirtiest tones out of that beast, but dont expect to be carrying around by yourself
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Sounds like the mesa's are in the running with a 412!!! Being a chick, am going to find these babies hard to carry, a shame they dont come with your personal roadie!! Thank you to you all for your responses!!
Good luck finding a mesa rig for under a few grand, too. It's some of the best gear ever, but some of the most expensive also.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by thefitz
Well, there are a few schools of thought on this one - some heavy bassists prefer to be felt, not heard, and for some, cutting through is key.

The head isn't actually all that important - it's the power and the EQ. SVT4PRO, SWR1500 or SWR900, Carvin BX1200 - they'll all give you enough power with some great EQs. I'd also recommend the Mesa 400+ or SVT2PRO, but I'm not a fan of tubes. Anyway, a loud head with a good EQ would do the trick.

The CABS are the most important thing here. There's no prototypical cab for this (although an 810 could be considered one), and my ideas might be a bit crazy, but here they are:

No 10s. Get 12s. Period. 12s are like 10s but louder sounding, more aggressive, and nastier. Make sure it has a horn. The Eden D212XLT (or Avatar 212 if you want to save some cash) or (even better) the Mesa/Boogie 212 or 412 would do the trick.

You ALSO want a woofer cab - something without a tweeter. An 18" cab would be perfect for that, but they're kinda scarce, with only Hartke, SWR, Eden, and Carvin making them.

If you get a 12/18 setup with a high-powered and properly EQ'd head, you'll have the best heavy metal tone going.

scratch my post. you gave 10x better info! i totally forgot EQ. BBE maximzers do wonders for bass too. and also running the signal through a tube preamp (like a cheap presonus bluetube) and then into an amp head helps for slap tones
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish

Quote by jakekilgore666
Quote by SeanHart213
Ampeg, anytihng on their higher end.

my personal favorite setup is Eden WT800B with an Ampeg SVT-810E cabinet and a Line 6 Bass PODXT PRO. won't get a better sound than that IMHO

EDIT: the reason- when its harder to find a bad sound than a good sound, you know the gear is great. i can't find a bad sound with the Eden

Im going into the shop this weekend to try some gear out but do you think the Line 6 could sound slightly digital for what it is thus not as an authentic sound as a valve?

Or would you say that's being finical?

I was actually keen on these until someone said to me that when one records with a Line 6 the sound seems less authentic,..will def have to try it out though as the variations of sounds are more attractive and less restrictive than standard set up.
I just realized this, but when did MF stop selling Hartke products??
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Quote by SeanHart213
scratch my post. you gave 10x better info! i totally forgot EQ. BBE maximzers do wonders for bass too. and also running the signal through a tube preamp (like a cheap presonus bluetube) and then into an amp head helps for slap tones

cool
Quote by thefitz

Info sounds good, will def be giving your ideas a go, cheers
I guess my band isn't stereotypical heavy metal, but that's how I set it up. I need to cut through a heavy guitar and pick up his slack when he solos - and that's the setup I use!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Basschick360
Im going into the shop this weekend to try some gear out but do you think the Line 6 could sound slightly digital for what it is thus not as an authentic sound as a valve?

I was actually keen on these until someone said to me that when one records with a Line 6 the sound seems less authentic,..will def have to try it out though as the variations of sounds are more attractive and less restrictive than standard set up.

I got a few compliments on my tone when I had a POD, I wish I had it back. For live stuff, don't worry. Get a rack POD, Boogie or Ampeg (this being my choice) head and a 4x12 + 1x15 or 1x18 cab setup.

For recordings, the supposed "digital" tone will come out more, but I wouldn't worry too much. Of course it won't sound authentic, it's not. If it's that much of a problem, give the studio a dry signal and have them re-amp it. They'll either have the stuff for the tone you want, or a better program than the POD. The POD tones and program is good enough for recording IMO, but my ear isn't as developed as some of you fellows.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by Basschick360

I use Boss producs for direct recordings and get a great sound, and digital gear only sounds better when used with real amps in a live setup. Lots of pros use the bass pod, and its no different than having 100 effects pedals minus the space/wires in my opinion. Line 6 is also a better modeling company than Boss, so their POD must sound great compared to the GT6B I've used.

Adding a pedal like a POD will do anything but hurt your live sound. and its a great studio tool. you have my word
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish

Quote by jakekilgore666