So I have the Engl E530 tube preamp and a bunch of Tung-Sol 12AX7 tubes lying around and I wanted to switch them for the stock tubes.

The only thing stopping me is that it says not to open it in the manual...
Is this anything to be worried about? I can't really kill myself by opening this amp up can i? I thought that was only with poweramps.

Your advice is appreciated
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
You can easily kill yourself inside of anything that has high voltage capacitors in it.

Look up how to discharge the caps, then you shouldn't have any troubles. But if youre really worried afterwards wear a pair of thick rubber gloves or something
just dont touch ANYTHING except the tubes to replace them. when i had my mark iv apart i could feel the electricity trying to jump into my fingers when i got really close to a capacitor.
Well Enough Alone
lol wow. I would have s**t my pants and reassemble the amp if I "felt" the electricity about to arc into my hands.

I guess it's good I asked because I always thought that only power amp sections had high voltage.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
yea i got a feeling of like hair standing up on your back but in my hand and i was like no way im not touching this thing. it could have just been my imagination but i didnt want to find out lol.
Well Enough Alone
Interesting, I never had any problems with electricity trying to jump from stuff and kill me when I've changed tubes before
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If the amp is well designed, you shouldn't have to get anywhere near anything dangerous to change the tubes. You shouldn't even have to open the chassis, which is what the warning is for. Just pop the back panel off, they should be right there.
Excuse my ignorence. But isn't the death capacitor thing only related to power amps?
These go to eleven...
^Yes, and only if you bias. Otherwise, there's no reason to open the chassis when changing tubes.
okay so can i change the tubes safely? it isnt ingeniously designed where I can easily change the tubes. i have to screw off the top panel and there they are. This is only a preamp. No power tubes involved here.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
alright well im still alive. I don't particularly like the way the tubes are situated inside the preamp. They are mounted sideways on a piece of circuit board that wobbles and bends as you are pushing the tubes in. I feel like the way it should be done is like how they are external like on mesa rack stuff.

aside from that I feel like I have a lot more clarity on the high gain channel.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Last edited by elchico04 at Jan 30, 2008,