Hey all, I was wondering how long it took you guys to learn how to play using more than one finger? Do you guys use all of your fingers or everyone except your pinky? It's hard for me because I learned Good Riddance by Green Day by just using my thumb. It's very difficult for me to try and go back, and change that playing style, you know? I can go at the right speed with my thumb, but my fingers get jumbled up when I try and relearn it using all my fingers. Is it even a good song to learn multiple finger picking? Right now, I'm learning Found Out About You by Gin Blossoms, and it requires more than one finger....sigh
take the intro from "crash" by the primitives and fingerpick it

its a neat lil exercise for helping to get your finger dexterity up
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Well, I like to play without the pick, and I play Good Riddance very nicely with my thumb (ONLY my thumb). When I start using my other fingers, it doesn't sound as good, plus they keep getting jumbled up. Any ideas? I just pretty much mean using multiple fingers to play notes on the guitar. Is that what finger picking is?

Update:
Boogieman, I looked up the tabs for Crash and I'm playing it, and all I'm using is my my thumb, index, and middle fingers. Is this the way to go?
Last edited by Takamine916 at Feb 1, 2008,
yeah thats what finger picking is, you will probably eventually want to learn to use more fingers, it makes playing alot of songs easier, but start off slow, just try using the clawhammer technicue of only using your thumb and your index finger, then as you get proficient with that, then toss in your middle finger, and if you can ge tha down, you can occasionaly use your ring finger, I myself rarely use my ring finger and I can play some prtty intricate passages quite well without it. But as you start using more fingers, the notes seem to blend together better and the song seems to have a better overall flow to it.
Quote by Takamine916

Update:
Boogieman, I looked up the tabs for Crash and I'm playing it, and all I'm using is my my thumb, index, and middle fingers. Is this the way to go?

Get the ring finger to join in and you're on your way.
The good old song Dust in the Wind by Kansas is a pretty fun song to fingerpick, you might want to give it a shot.
You have to use multiple fingers to play it, and doing these kinds of exercises really helps with other work.

I started learning classical when I got a guitar, so I more or less started with 3 chords and arpeggios requiring all fingers except the pinky
Still use my thumb only for some songs, doesn't bother me.
Last edited by Dylan_IE at Feb 1, 2008,
you should try blackbird. i learned that song when i had about 3 months of experience. i loved playing it so much that i got a blister on my middle finger. it'll use 2 fingers at a time max, and you'll have to alternate between thumb & middle with your index finger.
it didn't take me very long. i'd say 25 hours to get used to it. i practiced scales and it worked fine and after a while you'll start to like the finger picking more than using a pick cuz you have a good idea of where the strings are and which ones your about to pluck. (unless you like strumming a lot cuz it's harder with ur finger)
A good friend will come bail you out of jail.....
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn.... We fucked up."
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Get the ring finger to join in and you're on your way.

exactly

and eventually you'll be as good as dreadnaught

that dude ****ing rips
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Hey guys sorry to kick this thread back up, but did you guys get difficult in pitch when you first started playing (finger picking) too? Any note I play with my thumb has a nice sound to it, but when I use any other finger, it doesn't sound as good! Sigh.

As for the Crash song, I don't understand how you can fit more than your thumb, index, and middle finger in playing it? Do you mean exclude the thumb, and play using the other three?

Also, do you guys use your pinky as well?
Last edited by Takamine916 at Feb 10, 2008,
Look up PIMA picking.
P-Thumb
I-Index
M-Middle
A-Ring

You'll mostly never use your pinky/little finger. Especially in regular acoustic rock or classical. And yeah, it's very hard to have consistent tone in PIMA picking...practice, practice,practice.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
Look up PIMA picking.
P-Thumb
I-Index
M-Middle
A-Ring

You'll mostly never use your pinky/little finger. Especially in regular acoustic rock or classical. And yeah, it's very hard to have consistent tone in PIMA picking...practice, practice,practice.

Krypt!! Thanks! I looked that up and it makes things SO much easier!! Thanks so much!
Last edited by Takamine916 at Feb 10, 2008,
Quote by Takamine916
Hey guys sorry to kick this thread back up, but did you guys get difficult in pitch when you first started playing (finger picking) too? Any note I play with my thumb has a nice sound to it, but when I use any other finger, it doesn't sound as good! Sigh.

As for the Crash song, I don't understand how you can fit more than your thumb, index, and middle finger in playing it? Do you mean exclude the thumb, and play using the other three?

Also, do you guys use your pinky as well?

cut your nails btw james taylor - you've got a friend is good practise for using more fingers.
Look at some of the videos of Chet Atkins and Thom Bresch on the youtube. There are some good close ups of there picking hand. You can see how long their nails are and how they use the thumb and three fingers. They are mostly bluegrass but the playing is basicly the same.