Ok, I have a big muff NYC, a DS-1, and a Bad Monkey that I'm not totally happy with. Heres what i want to fix:

1. My big muff constantly starts feedback loops. I can't really get a good fuzz sound out of it; just really high gain single notes and crunched together power chords. It makes an annoying pop when turned on or off. I would also like to make it true bypass.

2. My DS-1 has a ridiculous amount of white noise. Aside from that its fine. I'm probably going to end up doing the All Seeing Eye mod on it after.

3. The only thing that i find lacking in the BM is the tone. What are some good mods to expand its capabilities?

How would I do these?
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
Last edited by mrbagrat at Jan 30, 2008,
bump
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
i did the keeley mods to my ds-1, both the all seeing eye and the ultra. i prefer the all seeing eye and if i did another would just do that one. it has lost that fizzy white noise that annoys you. if you google keeley ds-1 mods there is a site called overdrive spider or something similar. thats where i got my info from. its free and step by step.

in fact... here you go

http://www.geocities.com/overdrivespider/DS1/dsmods.htm google is your friend

if you are uk based and require the work done for you. ill do it for a small charge...
Thank you please.
Last edited by deadlydunc at Jan 30, 2008,
Yeah, thats what I was looking at. Seems easy enough.
and sorry, I'm in California. but thanks anyway

I've been looking for the parts I need for the ASE mod. Heres what I have:

3x LED
1x SPDT Switch
1x 1.5k, 1x 2.4k
1x 20k
47pf Cap x1
220pf Cap x1

However I'm a little unsure as to which capacitors I'd need. Its the first time I'd be buying individual parts. I'd need:

# 0.1uF Capacitor x 5
# 1uF Capacitor x 4 (or two 0.47uF caps in parallel, it should give the same results)
# 0.047uF Capacitor x 1

Thats what the site says. Which should I get?
Last edited by mrbagrat at Jan 31, 2008,
Bump. All I need is for someone to tell me which capacitors to get.
ASE=All Seeing Eye.
.0047 uf
.1 uf

Those alright?
I can't find any of the other ones though.
The Big Muff will kind of always be like that. It is not the best pedal to mod, there are a few things you can do. Could you take pics of the inside, so we know what version you have and such?

I offer a DS-1 that reduces the white noise hugely. It is a custom mod, much better than Keeleys. It also comes with a mid knob and a clipping switch. I can sell you my custom mod with instructions and mod kit.

I would not do the stock DS-1 mod...It is fuzzy and loose flabby sounding...Very uncompressed and nasty imo.
Last edited by kurtlives91 at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Man, 600V is the smallest they carry? Damn. Well, that's pretty darn huge. I doubt you'll get it to fit there. You might better going with the normal Poly film types.

You don't have an electronics store near you, or anything?

I do. But I'd rather ask here so I can make sure i"m getting the right thing.
I'm not limited to just small bear though. I can buy from two stores if I need to.

Quote by kurtlives91
The Big Muff will kind of always be like that. It is not the best pedal to mod, there are a few things you can do. Could you take pics of the inside, so we know what version you have and such?

I offer a DS-1 that reduces the white noise hugely. It is a custom mod, much better than Keeleys. It also comes with a mid knob and a clipping switch. I can sell you my custom mod with instructions and mod kit.

I would not do the stock DS-1 mod...It is fuzzy and loose flabby sounding...Very uncompressed and nasty imo.

Ok, I'll crack it open and get pictures up in a bit.
Hmm...do you have any sound clips from the mod? I listened to the ASE mod and it sounded beautiful to me. But I'm open to anything new.
Quote by mrbagrat
I do. But I'd rather ask here so I can make sure i"m getting the right thing.
I'm not limited to just small bear though. I can buy from two stores if I need to.

Ok, I'll crack it open and get pictures up in a bit.
Hmm...do you have any sound clips from the mod? I listened to the ASE mod and it sounded beautiful to me. But I'm open to anything new.

No I do not...I have sold a lot of DS-1s with my mod and they were all a hit.
Ok. Well I'll think about it. How much would the kit cost?

Anyways here are the big muff pics.

^ahh you got a NYC reissue BMP. It is already true bypass. What I did with mine is convert the adapter to a standard 2.1mm Boss style one and add power filtering.

What do you want out of yours sound wise?

PMed
Well mainly I want to try and make it so it doesn't give off as much feedback and add a noisegate. Apparently you can do one of those by

"adding a 100k trimpot (wired as a variable resistor) parallel to the 100k to ground of the second gain stage (R14)."

Tonewise I want it to have more of a middy sound rather then a heavy bass sound when the tone knob is twisted counterclockwise.
How did you add power filtering?
Last edited by mrbagrat at Feb 2, 2008,
I tried the noise gate mod....HAHA what a joke...doesnt work at all...

Duncan Tone Stack Calculator....play with it.....shows you the frequency curve...

Power filtering....add a 220mF (above 9V) or so cap to the - and + of the DC jack. Make sure you orient the cap right.....This mod is only useful if you use an adapter..
^big muffs don't have power filtering?

that's like mega hum with a dc jack plugged in...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Nope....thats the first thing I did with mine....New 2.1mm Boss Style jack....the other one was so crappy. Then added power filtering.

The Muff is not an easy pedal to mod...It will always be a mean sustain machine.

And no power filtering does not mean mega hum.
haha but adding a power filter cap isn't bad. iono about the jack cuz i never really seen a BMP.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^haha that sucks. u reminded me to get some DC power jack for my clyde mccoy clone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
the reissue ones have different resistors than vintage specs?

thats sooo bs. lameness to the max.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by kurtlives91
I tried the noise gate mod....HAHA what a joke...doesnt work at all...

Duncan Tone Stack Calculator....play with it.....shows you the frequency curve...

Power filtering....add a 220mF (above 9V) or so cap to the - and + of the DC jack. Make sure you orient the cap right.....This mod is only useful if you use an adapter..

One of these?

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=185&sfs=608ff60a
Yup, I use an adapter.